RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2023
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/08/22 9:41 pm    ::: Chicago Sky 2023 Reply Reply with quote

What happened? Shocked

Well, CP3 thought that they’d win one after 2 years, and they did, so I guess they can just run it back next year?

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/08/22 10:06 pm    ::: Re: Chicago Sky 2023 Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
What happened? Shocked

Well, CP3 thought that they’d win one after 2 years, and they did, so I guess they can just run it back next year?

Chicago has some decisions to make. I dont see the "vanderquigs" re=-sigining as they will problably be offered more money. Wouldn't be suprised to see them in Seattle as Sloot would be a good fit there.

They may be able to keep Emma but other teams may be willing to pay more.

Not sure about Parker. She may resign for one more year and retire or play for another team and retire. She has her offseason job with TNT so she may just decide to focus on that.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/08/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago is in an interesting place

currently under contract
Copper (also cored so they can't core any of their UFA)
Hebard
Evans
Allemand
Li Yueru

if you add in the #5 pick 75k and the #23 pick 65k
they have about 790k left

UFAS
Sloot
Quigley
Parker
Meesseman
Stevens

If they want to run it back and the rumors of Quigley's retirement is true they could do something like
Sloot super Max 235
Parker and Meesseman max 200k
Stevens 165k

so run it back is something like

Sloot/Allemand
Copper/Evans
Stevens/#5 (Joens, R. Jackson, D. Miller)
Parker/Hebard
Meesseman/Li Yueru

#23 or waiver wire

Chicago can technically roll it back and stay a contender

I think the big line up could work, thin bench unless $5 pans out or the GM can convince the bigger money contracts to take a little less so the 11th player could be a vet minimum (or slightly higher) like SWK, Lexie Brown, Nurse, Whitcomb,

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/09/22 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/09/22 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

now if for some reason Sloot and Quigley and Parker move on

rebuild around Copper, Stevens and Meesseman

If you keep the 5 under contract players add in the 1st and 2nd round draft pick

and you keep Meesseman and Stevens at about 190k each
If Meesseman doesn't return try to max out B. Jones

you have about 360 left for two or three players

I would go almost max for Mabrey dare Dallas to match
and decent money 150k for Cunningham or Coffey

Mabrey/Allemand
Copper/Evans
Coffey or Cunningham/#5 (Joens, Jackson, D. Miller)
Stevens/Hebard
Meesseman/Li Yueru

#23 or waiver wire or vet minimum or slightly higher like SWK, Nurse, Brown, Whitcomb, T. Mitchell

This team isn't as talented as the roll it back team but it's younger and has a longer window with most of the core in its mid/late 20s it is still a mid playoff team and with one more high end talent could easily be a championship team again

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 09/09/22 3:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems Gardner is missing from your speculations.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did my bad

Gardner is reserved and can take the 11th spot at team friendly contract

run it back

Sloot/Allemand
Copper/Gardner/Evans
Stevens/#5
Parker/Hebard
Meesseman/Li Yueru

no Sloot, Quigley or Parker get younger stay relevant

Mabrey/Allemand
Copper/Gardner/Evans
Coffey or Cunningham/#5
Stevens/Hebard
Meesseman/Li Yueru

adding in Gardner makes both versions stronger and more flexible
it even opens up the possibility of going post with the #5 pick like Kitley or Seigrist or playing Gardner at the 3 and going for a more traditional SG like Blackweel or Cooke or a PG like Owosu atm I still have Joens at the top of my draft board if I am Chicago but that can change and they will have options

And if you feel with Gardner, Copper and the #5 pick you have enough 2/3 coverage you could instead of spending money on Coffey or Cunningham going bigger with someone like B. Jones, Harrison or Billings

undersized_post

PostPosted: 09/09/22 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, you want Copper and Cunningham on the same team? Are you a physicist researching the radioactive fallout of particle collision?

PostPosted: 09/09/22 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given how things played out with Li Yueru, is there reason to believe she will be back in the WNBA next season? If the Chinese National Team pulled her because of her playing time, I can't imagine they would allow her to come back unless they were assured she would get more playing time, and I don't see Chicago being in a position to just guarantee that.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Given how things played out with Li Yueru, is there reason to believe she will be back in the WNBA next season? If the Chinese National Team pulled her because of her playing time, I can't imagine they would allow her to come back unless they were assured she would get more playing time, and I don't see Chicago being in a position to just guarantee that.

I was just including the players who were currently under contract in 23, any of the lower half of the roster playtime-wise Li Yueru, Evans, Hebard could be swapped for a player of similar value and cost. I feel pretty confident that Evans and Hebard survive another year

if Li Yueru can not return than maybe Anigwe, Cunane, Shook, Coates, Sjevern, or slightly more expensive E. Will or Plaisance

don't want to start the firestorm in here but if one of Parker or Meesseman doesn't return or she is willing to play for cheap and come off the bench T. Charles would be an interesting option.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hebard - I see her being traded, if no takers, bought out.

Evans - I listened a Spaces broadcast on Twitter, and Dana's manager (Gregory Jones II) was expounding on her talents. And he was dumbfounded as to why she couldn't get playing time. Speculated that maybe Chicago sees her height as a determinant? He did ultimately say that her best fit would be Chicago. (That's all he really could say, she's under contract ). The another listener chimed in and said otherwise. Someone even suggested she go to the Fever, for marketability, as well her talent.

Allemand - Gone- Julie is NOT a starter, if Sloot goes.

Li Yueru - Gone- Should not return

Sloot - Gone. Chicago should offer. But, after that offseason nosense with her contract this season, and the time she took reflecting, alone, after the loss. She's gone.

Quigley - Shot 36% 3PT, 45% FG - Tired legs. I think she's retiring after saying playing in the W was like a "dream come true".

Parker - She should retire just because of her fatigue, and the team needs to get younger. Why go thru the grind of a 40 game season. She'll have no gas come playoff time. Yes, she played high level a lot of the time. Would Sky fans be upset if he didn't offer her?

Meesseman - This is the biggest mystery. I hope she was happy spending the summer in Chicago. She's so quiet, I cannot get a read on her. I would like to see her come back.

Stevens - She's going to get some offers. I Could she start someplace else?

Gardner- Will get some offers. But, I think out of loyalty, she'll stay with Wade if he offers her a deal.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
don't want to start the firestorm in here but if one of Parker or Meesseman doesn't return or she is willing to play for cheap and come off the bench T. Charles would be an interesting option.

Be careful. 2 more mentions and you invite the Candyman into the thread. And I'm not sure whether my quote counts as one of them 😬

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have meant to say

If healthy whether in Chicago or somewhere else I think A. Stevens is going to have a breakout season in 23.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/10/22 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can not offer any predictions right now. My only thought is that players should Follow The Money. πŸ’΅πŸ’°

PostPosted: 09/10/22 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Evans - I listened a Spaces broadcast on Twitter, and Dana's manager (Gregory Jones II) was expounding on her talents. And he was dumbfounded as to why she couldn't get playing time. Speculated that maybe Chicago sees her height as a determinant? He did ultimately say that her best fit would be Chicago. (That's all he really could say, she's under contract ). The another listener chimed in and said otherwise. Someone even suggested she go to the Fever, for marketability, as well her talent.

I would love for her to come to the Fever.

PostPosted: 09/10/22 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Sky will look very different.

Allemand is not the next Sloot, which I understand was Wade's logic. The in-arena camera focused on a fan sign "Put Dana in" on Thursday, and the place lit up. At another recent game, some folks started a chant - "Dana! Dana! Dana!" that started to pick up around the arena. Gee, we're only fans - what do we know?

Seems when other stuff wasn't working, she and Hebard should have been put in earlier to try to switch up things briefly. The fact that they were mired to the bench for much of the season makes me think they both will be gone.

Gardner - isn't she stuck with the rookie scale contract rate?

Read a lengthy article about Li (think someone posted it here first). Doubt she will be back since she had worked hard to make herself league-ready and only averaged 5.1 minutes per game. So maybe she'll end up somewhere she can have a chance to develop.

The Vanderquigs are the only players remaining from my first STH year (2013). Sad to say, but maybe their time has come. I've not looked at any of the post-game interviews or skimmed social media, so I don't know what recent speculations are based on.

Same with Parker - she's been hinting. And she keeps saying she's "old" in recent post-game interviews. She's put in her time, overcome injuries, brought on haters and just did her thing anyway. She's annoying as heck but she is good when she is "on" and not injured.

I do not want SDS or TC on the team. I wouldn't mind Bri Jones.

A lot of time between now and the 2023 season - I expect a bunch of movements during the FA season. I also hope we make decent draft picks - a major weakness over the years.

I just don't know...

PostPosted: 09/10/22 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Be careful. 2 more mentions and you invite the Candyman into the thread. And I'm not sure whether my quote counts as one of them 😬

🀣🀣🀣🀣

SPD

PostPosted: 11/16/22 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP3 is playing in 2023!

Candace Parker plans on playing in the 2023 @WNBA season, she announced on @richarddeitsch podcast.

Snippet from the podcast
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1592896206044540929

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 11/16/22 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
CP3 is playing in 2023!

Candace Parker plans on playing in the 2023 @WNBA season, she announced on @richarddeitsch podcast.

Snippet from the podcast
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1592896206044540929

I just hope she and Wade have a honest conversation about managing her minutes. Maybe not play back to back, or on one day's rest until the post season. I dunno. But, something has to change about how her high mileage legs are managed next season. Wink

PostPosted: 11/16/22 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another one where it would really help the team out if she took a discount, too (even assuming it'll definitely be Chicago she plays for). Gonna be interesting to see if Bird (and Charles) playing for way below market value has opened the door to it becoming a more common thing.

PostPosted: 11/17/22 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Another one where it would really help the team out if she took a discount, too (even assuming it'll definitely be Chicago she plays for). Gonna be interesting to see if Bird (and Charles) playing for way below market value has opened the door to it becoming a more common thing.

It sure frees up the bigger $$ for the younger stars who haven't gotten the big overseas $$ yet. Face it - for those who've played overseas for years, the WNBA $$ is still chump change. But for the younger, budding stars, getting a supermax WNBA helps them leverage bigger $$ overseas. And for the stars who've done commercials and/or got a piece of NBA $$ (Bird, Parker), the WNBA salary is less than chump change.

And I'm just wondering which team TC will bring her black cloud to next...

~rAf
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/17/23 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on Sky, do something!!

I haven't listened to this yet and hope this is just reporters helping to gin up more excitement/engagement, but if this "headline" is anywhere near true, I will be sick: https://twitter.com/LockedOnWBB/status/1615405697906122752

Given the shifting landscape, anyone wanna give us some hope and take a gander at what the Sky may look like for the 2023 season? Please! Confused Laughing

Here's what I'd love to see, but with prioritization, salary caps, etc. I'm just dreaming, particularly with combining the Chi and Conn squad:

PG: Sloot/Wheeler or since NY is allegedly trying to steal Sloot, let's get Johannes
SG: A healthy Quigs or Dana/ Courtney Williams
Wing: Kah/Rebecca
PF: CP/Z, Alyssa Thomas (to out physical everyone)
C: Emma/B. Jones (I know she is likely to get cored in Conn but...)

I've accounted for no one's salary and am just spit balling and dreamin' since folks are trying to make superteams!!! Help! Laughing

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/17/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People have been dreaming about a Stewart and Sloot combo. Maybe this combination will happen in New York and not Seattle.😁

PostPosted: 01/17/23 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
People have been dreaming about a Stewart and Sloot combo. Maybe this combination will happen in New York and not Seattle.😁

I like NY. They're probably my second favorite team due to geographic alliance. However, if they manage to acquire JJ, Stewie and Sloot in one free agency period then the system may be broken.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/17/23 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I like NY. They're probably my second favorite team due to geographic alliance. However, if they manage to acquire JJ, Stewie and Sloot in one free agency period then the system may be broken.

Agreed! Laughing

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/17/23 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm already sad...this doesn't help.

Figured there would be changes. VanderQuigs (before they became Vanderquigs) have been with the Sky since I started following the team in earnest in 2013. Only remnants from that era. Gonna be a hard transition. Crying or Very sad

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: