Mercury
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/12/22 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Wow, not much got decided tonight.

Except, MN got knocked down to 9th, and Phx are now back at 7th.
Sundays games should be fun.

PostPosted: 08/13/22 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did not watch the game...Have not watched the last 5 Mercury games...But I have seen some of the comments.........I find it very interesting how people attack Diamond when she has a bad game but go silent when she helps lead the Mercury to a key win and inches them closer to the playoffs...Some people think Diamond quit on the team...Did it ever occur to them that Diamond's hip injury still isn't 100%?..... So she can't give the extra effort that she normally does. DD still hasn't fully recovered from her spinal surgery...The last thing I would ever do is call Diamond Deshields a quitter.....A couple of players have quit on Phoenix this season, Diamond isn't one of them......... I do agree that Diamond needs to play with a higher basketball iq......Not playing for a strong College HC (Geno, Staley, Mulkey, Summit, etc...) really hurt Diamond's development.

How bout showing Diamond and the rest of the players some love for going 2-1 over the last 3 games without their two best players...You don't have to like Diamond's style of play but you can't deny her contributions to the last 2 Mercury wins.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/13/22 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/13/22 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I find it very interesting how people attack Diamond when she has a bad game but go silent when she helps lead the Mercury to a key win and inches them closer to the playoffs...Some people think Diamond quit on the team...Did it ever occur to them that Diamond's hip injury still isn't 100%?..... So she can't give the extra effort that she normally does. DD still hasn't fully recovered from her spinal surgery...The last thing I would ever do is call Diamond Deshields a quitter.....A couple of players that have quit on Phoenix this season, Diamond isn't one of them.

Totally.
She was outstanding tonight, and given everything we now know it's pretty amazing that she is playing at this level.

PostPosted: 08/13/22 3:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
How bout showing Diamond and the rest of the players some love for going 2-1 over the last 3 games without their two best players...

I think the coach should get some credit as well. Have seen her being called a clown coach, but the players (beyond one) haven't quit on her and played well.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 08/13/22 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Co-sign these recent Diamond comments!

I caught the last few minutes of the game and was shocked to see Diamond's contributions in light of the game posts here!

Folks have been rough on her a long time. I don't follow WCBB, but I remember many posters essentially calling her a headcase because of all her jumping around from team to team (and maybe other things I don't recall). So I was really concerned when the Sky drafted her - especially since she seemed to have a really sour look on her face when her name was called!

She has shared about her sight:
https://people.com/health/wnba-star-fighting-for-her-own-sight-brings-free-vision-care-to-south-side-chicago/
Quote:
The diagnosis was Keratoconus, a progressive thinning and bulging of the cornea like a cone that distorts vision. The treatment is glass contact lenses that cost a whopping $1,200 a pair with a prescription that changed every 4 to 6 months, due to the progressive nature of the disorder.

...Today, she wears the contact lenses and, when she's on the basketball court, special anti-shatter Oakley eyewear to protect her eyes and the glass lenses. She's had two surgeries – one on each eye and the most recent in February — to try to halt the progression of the disease.

and mental health challenges.
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/chicago-sun-times/20210807/281835761755383
Quote:
Deshields has learned to prioritize her mental health in ways she never has before. Whether from maturity or life experience, she understands now how important it is to approach the game with gratitude. She also understands the need to unplug.

Yes, she had made boneheaded decisions on the court, and I don't doubt that consistent coaching might have made a difference. Some folks pillory her as if she is the worst player! She is still on a team and is performing at a decent level after having that miraculous recovery after her tumor surgery! There's still got to be some effects from that.

I am sure every person ever born has done some less than brilliant stuff in their fields of endeavor. I doubt that any would appreciate being dogged out every time they fell short of perfection. None of us are, nor will we ever be.

She persists. Give the girl some grace, people! Rolling Eyes

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2022/07/19/2022-espys-diamond-deshields-phoenix-mercury-comeback/
Quote:
Debilitating eyesight. A growing tumor. Countless seizures. Potential paralysis.

Diamond DeShields has gone through the gantlet since the Chicago Sky drafted her third overall in the 2018 WNBA Draft.

Watching her play on the court, however, fans wouldn’t notice that the former University of Tennessee product underwent two eye surgeries and a nine-hour surgery to remove a tumor within the past four years.

PostPosted: 08/13/22 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I like Diamond and this is a big opportunity to prove herself as a player. She's the number one option due to all the hurdles this team has faced. Do your thing girl!

zune69

PostPosted: 08/13/22 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
How bout showing Diamond and the rest of the players some love for going 2-1 over the last 3 games without their two best players...

I think the coach should get some credit as well. Have seen her being called a clown coach, but the players (beyond one) haven't quit on her and played well.

+1

The players are still playing hard for coach Nygaard.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/13/22 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically two! Charles quit on the team originally which led to the “divorce”.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/13/22 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Technically two! Charles quit on the team originally which led to the “divorce”.

Charles was said to be choosing between Phoenix or Seattle as to who to sign with. She chose Phoenix but then Griner was not playing and Phoenix was not a contender for a title. So she may have just been trying to get out of her contract to go to contender Seattle, not unhappy with Nygaard.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/13/22 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The broadcast said, SDS was out due to illness.

But, Voepel wrote SDS's contract is suspended, so she won't be eligible for the playoffs (of Phx makes it). How does an illness turn into a contract suspension?

Is it a roster thing the front office has to in order to sign a replacement or something?

PostPosted: 08/13/22 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

But, Voepel wrote SDS's contract is suspended, so she won't be eligible for the playoffs (of Phx makes it). How does an illness turn into a contract suspension?

Is it a roster thing the front office has to in order to sign a replacement or something?

Could be lots of things. I'd hate to speculate, but I can think of several things that would need to be addressed now, rather than waiting until the end of the season.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/13/22 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Charles was said to be choosing between Phoenix or Seattle as to who to sign with. She chose Phoenix but then Griner was not playing and Phoenix was not a contender for a title. So she may have just been trying to get out of her contract to go to contender Seattle, not unhappy with Nygaard.

Wait, so if y'all aren't accusing Charles of being the player who "quit" on the team, who are you accusing of quitting?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/13/22 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Wait, so if y'all aren't accusing Charles of being the player who "quit" on the team, who are you accusing of quitting?

I can’t speak for Tfan, but imo Charles absolutely quit on the team!

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/13/22 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Did not watch the game...Have not watched the last 5 Mercury games...But I have seen some of the comments.........I find it very interesting how people attack Diamond when she has a bad game but go silent when she helps lead the Mercury to a key win and inches them closer to the playoffs...Some people think Diamond quit on the team...Did it ever occur to them that Diamond's hip injury still isn't 100%?..... So she can't give the extra effort that she normally does. DD still hasn't fully recovered from her spinal surgery...The last thing I would ever do is call Diamond Deshields a quitter.....A couple of players have quit on Phoenix this season, Diamond isn't one of them......... I do agree that Diamond needs to play with a higher basketball iq......Not playing for a strong College HC (Geno, Staley, Mulkey, Summit, etc...) really hurt Diamond's development.

How bout showing Diamond and the rest of the players some love for going 2-1 over the last 3 games without their two best players...You don't have to like Diamond's style of play but you can't deny her contributions to the last 2 Mercury wins.

Reading truly is fundamental, nobody anywhere has said Diamond quit on the team. At least I haven’t seen it. The “giving up” comment you’re referring to was actually in reference to the multiple times she just stopped defending her woman in the Lynx game. One instance during that game was so blatant even the announcing team made a comment about it. Had you watched this game along with the other 4, you would have seen it. In this Dallas game, she had another mediocre first half and apparently got challenged at halftime and responded because her effort and energy were considerably higher.

Frankly, you’re in no position to come for people providing analysis or their opinions on a game they watched when you admitted to not even watching the last 5 lol. Maybe “the people” that were being critical last game were unable to watch this one, which is why they didn’t comment.

We get it, you’re a Diamond homer. That still doesn’t negate the fact that you were once again wrong about her turning into this big time star and starter on the team when you tried coming for me about it in the off-season Laughing

I have nothing against Diamond, I love that she is playing after what she went through. That still doesn’t put her above criticism or change the fact she is incredibly frustrating because of her play style and effort. It also doesn’t change the fact she overall was pretty bad since the start of July. Or, that she lost her starting role because of her inconsistencies. Her performances in the last 2 wins were major outliers over what she showed almost the entire month of July. But again, maybe watch the games and you’ll see what people are referencing as opposed to making assumptions based on the comments on a message board Rolling Eyes

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

x...................

I'm not sold on Nygaard, but the players are playing hard, and were having fun last night. The vibe was good, she deseves some credit for that.

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@TotalCardinalMove

I'm a Diamond supporter who's very objective. I've called her out for playing with a low IQ and taking quick shots. So I'm not a blind ass-kissing stan like some people on this board...My Issue with some people is that they only show up when Diamond plays poorly and then go silent when she contributes to a win...Diamond got called out by 3-4 people after the poor showing against Minnesota...Those people were nowhere to be seen after the big win versus Dallas..........As for my comments during the offseason. Anything I said or predicted was based on Diamond being healthy. DD is clearly not 100%...However, Diamond could help her situation by improving her shot selection and making the right reads on offense............. Oh, and I was never... coming for you...Just because we have a difference of opinion does not mean I'm coming for you or have a grudge against you. We can agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Just to add on...Any predictions I made during the off-season about how Diamond would perform were made without knowing her medical situation (Spinal surgery).......Had I known about Diamond's spinal surgery I would've had zero expectations...The fact that Diamond is even on the basketball court and dropping 20+ pts is amazing.

Last edited by zune69 on 08/14/22 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

It was originally reported as "personal reasons", not illness.

Phoenix Mercury's Skylar Diggins-Smith to miss final two games due to personal reasons

tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/22 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

The player who took off for personal reasons and had her contract suspended by the team.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/14/22 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

The player who took off for personal reasons and had her contract suspended by the team.

And that equals quitting??? OK, tell us what you know about the situation that nobody else here knows?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/14/22 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
tfan wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

And that equals quitting??? OK, tell us what you know about the situation that nobody else here knows?

This is why I'm asking. Like, are you going to retract your accusation and apologize, if it turns out that "personal reasons" are actually personal reasons, @tfan?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
zune69

PostPosted: 08/14/22 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I alluded to a couple of players quitting on the Mercury in an earlier post...but that was before I saw the announcement that SDS is out for personal reasons and she deleted her Twitter/set it to private......So I take back my comment.....Wishing the best for SDS.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/22 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I should have said "had issues with the coach". As M.A. Voepel says "All season, it has been obvious that Nygaard and Diggins-Smith do not have a good working relationship."

tfan

PostPosted: 08/14/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

This is why I'm asking. Like, are you going to retract your accusation and apologize, if it turns out that "personal reasons" are actually personal reasons, @tfan?

Great to see you placing value on apologies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: