RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

All-Star Weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/01/22 8:10 pm    ::: All-Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

I hope no one wanted to go to open practice, or the three-point contest, or the skills challenge, because those are only open to a "special audience of participants in the Girls Nike Nationals."

But gosh we can watch the three-point contest and the skills challenge at an outdoor viewing party.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-live-presented-by-u-s-bank-to-launch-as-part-of-att-wnba-all-star-2022-weekend-celebrations/

Rebkellian Chicagoans, if you have any suggestions for making our own kind of W fun I welcome your suggestions.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long are you in Chicago?

I'd leave Chicago and go to the beach in IN or MI.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/01/22 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
How long are you in Chicago?

I'd leave Chicago and go to the beach in IN or MI.

Land Friday morning, leave Sunday night. Neither of us has a driver's license and I don't do beaches. My father's people burn, I can't swim, and no one wants to see me in beach attire.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is stupid...as big as McCormick Place is, and they're not having these events open to the public? Something ain't right... And outside viewing? Really??? Better be covered and air-conditioned!

Since you sound like you are not outdoor people (same as me), some of these might be feasible options. All within a few miles. No car necessary. Just get the CTA pass I mentioned some time ago:

CTA 3-Day Ventra Ticket $15 buy at Ventra Vending Machines at O'Hare & Midway

If you are staying in the vicinity of Wintrust or McCormick Place, which is around the corner, it's easy to get to the Museum Campus (Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium) by bus. Catch the #3 King Drive, which runs north on King Drive, west on Cermak/22nd St. (passing Wintrust), then north on Michigan Avenue. Get off at Roosevelt Rd. and catch any bus heading towards the lake like the 146 or 130.

Other museums in the area are the Art Institute of Chicago (same bus but farther north on Michigan). Grant Park and Millennium Park are along the route as well - you can see the Bean! A little farther north is the Chicago Architecture Center on Wacker Drive, which has boat tours. A little farther north you can get off at Grand Avenue and go downstairs to catch a bus to Navy Pier, which has a lot of different attractions as well as boat rides, some with meals.

Chinatown isn't far away - just catch the #21 Cermak bus to Wentworth. Depending on where you are, some would find it walkable.

I'm just spitballing ideas! What kinds of stuff do you like to do? If you want to explore neighborhoods or other attractions you know about, I'll try to help you out! Smile

PostPosted: 07/02/22 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember when we had All-Star Games on the East Coast, we’d have Rebkell get-togethers. Is anyone in Chicago inclined to organize something like that? Probably too late to wrangle a large group, but maybe not.

It’d be fun to hit Navy Pier when they’re not closing for the night. Wink The husband and I have been to Chicago a couple of times- we started our honeymoon there and did a Big East tournament when it was at McGrath as well.

PostPosted: 07/02/22 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Art Institute is great if you like art museums. One of the best there is.

Two things that I always do when people come the visit that are can't miss/can't go wrong activities:

1. Architectural Boat Tour: Downtown Chicago has amazing architecture and the boat tour takes you along the rivers and into the lake, giving great views of the city and telling some of the history. It is the absolute best thing to do in Chicago as far as I am concerned. There are multiple companies that offer the tours, but I strongly recommend you go with the ones offered by the Chicago Architecture Center.

https://www.architecture.org/tours/detail/chicago-architecture-foundation-center-river-cruise-aboard-chicago-s-first-lady/

2. Drinks at the Signature Lounge: The John Hancock Building (now officially just 875 N. Michigan, but everyone still refers to it as the Hancock) is almost 100 stories and the second tallest building in the city. Unlike the Sears Tower, which has long lines and high prices to get the observation deck, the Hancock has a bar at the top. It gives you the best views in the city with your cocktail. You can't make a reservation at the bar, so if you don't want to chance a line, you can make on at the Signature Room restaurant a floor below the lounge.

https://www.signatureroom.com/lounge/

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/02/22 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm puzzled. If you go to wnba.com, you would hardly know there is an allstar event coming up.
I googled it and found it https://www.wnba.com/allstar/2022/
but why wouldn't it be front and center at wnba.com?
It just seems bizarre.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/02/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm puzzled. If you go to wnba.com, you would hardly know there is an allstar event coming up.
I googled it and found it https://www.wnba.com/allstar/2022/
but why wouldn't it be front and center at wnba.com?
It just seems bizarre.

Crazy...it's buried under Events.

Of course, .com is also showing on the home page that there is a game tonight! Laughing

Spoke to my ticket rep. He said the League put the weekend's schedule together. Lamebrained decision to exclude non-Nike tournament participants. I'd be pissed if I flew in expecing to see the Saturday contests in an enclosed, climate controlled environment. I understand some events being outside, but the overall format of this "festival" is very disappointing. I'll probably watch from the comforts of home. The weather is too wacky, and I am not a hot weather person at all!

PostPosted: 07/02/22 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty listed links - I was too lazy.

Yeah...we don't like when they change names around here! I think there will always be the Sears Tower ("Whut choo talkin' about, Willis?") Laughing, the Hancock Center, Comiskey Park, the Drive, etc.

Shoot, I'm not even from here, and I was pissed as heck when Macy's, which I knew from my year living in Yonkers and working in midtown Manhattan after high school, bogarted its way into Chicago and tried to win folks over by destroying the legacy of Marshall Field! I have never spent a dime in that place! And a number of them are now closed.

PostPosted: 07/02/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were wonderful Rebkell get togethers organized in New York and in
Washington ...it was such fun meeting and drinking with fellow
Repkell Posters ... Meeting and finding out your were so wrong on thinking they were Young-Old, White-Black, Male-Female and it all didn't mater.
The Open practices were fun too...I guess its all a thing of the past...Sad

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/02/22 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the two most recent games, I have hung out at the 2121 Pantry, which is at the Marriott Marquis right next to Wintrust on the ground floor. It's open all day and has a variety of food, plus a bar. Seems to have a lot of space that people float around.

The Showroom Food Hall is at the other end of the hall, which has a variety of food choices and a bar. Some of the stalls may not have reopened after the pandemic, though, and the recent reviews don't look good for the food but are okay for the bar.

The menu is linked for the Pantry, but the onsite version has more choices! There is no link to Showroom...
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/chimq-marriott-marquis-chicago/dining/

These two seem conducive to social distancing. Other nearby places seem to be more cramped. Some are posted on the link.

A place not listed is Fatpour, which is catercorner from Wintrust. I found out the hard way that they play the Sky games: last Sunday, I went allegedly early so I could check out the place and lost track of time. Suddenly, I noticed the baseball game was no longer on and a Sky game was on. I wondered why they would be running a repeat of a game, and then it hit me - it had started 20 minutes prior while I was just chillin' and watchin' YouTube videos! Laughing I understand they have a second floor - the ground floor was busy. They seem inconsistent about whether they are serving outside or not.

Who all is planning to come from our of town or even locally?

I'm pretty much an introvert and not a planner of social events. But I will show up if we pick a place and time that works.

PostPosted: 07/05/22 5:15 pm    ::: Re: All-Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I hope no one wanted to go to open practice, or the three-point contest, or the skills challenge, because those are only open to a "special audience of participants in the Girls Nike Nationals."

But gosh we can watch the three-point contest and the skills challenge at an outdoor viewing party.

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-live-presented-by-u-s-bank-to-launch-as-part-of-att-wnba-all-star-2022-weekend-celebrations/

Rebkellian Chicagoans, if you have any suggestions for making our own kind of W fun I welcome your suggestions.

It reminds me of how the NBA restricts most tickets to attend their All-Star Game festivities, such as the game itself, plus the 3-point shootout, dunk contests, etc., to their sponsors, and not to the general public.

It's kind of disappointing, though, that the WNBA is doing the same thing. But the league is indeed a business, and I suppose they have to keep their sponsors happy.

I remember reading when it was announced that the 2007 NBA All-Star Game was going to be held in Las Vegas. Some Las Vegas locals called to see where they can purchase tickets to attend the game, only to be told that the NBA reserved all the tickets for their sponsors, their families, VIPs, etc.

PostPosted: 07/05/22 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found out from my friend who has a floor ticket that they were invited to participate inside, and she can bring a guest. I will probably take her up on that offer.

It really does suck however that the league is excluding people who in some cases may have flown in to be able to see those competitions in person and in comfort...

So who is at least going to the game? Do folks still want to meet, even if briefly?

PostPosted: 07/05/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I found out from my friend who has a floor ticket that they were invited to participate inside, and she can bring a guest. I will probably take her up on that offer.

It really does suck however that the league is excluding people who in some cases may have flown in to be able to see those competitions in person and in comfort...

So who is at least going to the game? Do folks still want to meet, even if briefly?

The husband and I will be there, both at the festival thing on Saturday and the game on Sunday. We’ll be wearing either Sacramento or Cleveland throwbacks on Saturday and Liberty throwbacks on Sunday. I’m also bringing name tags.

PostPosted: 07/05/22 10:22 pm    ::: Re: All-Star Weekend Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Ok, I would think it would be special for Nike kids to be able to watch the all-stars "practice", or goof around, or whatever.

But, closing off the skills challenge and 3pt challenge to fans who financially support the league makes no sense at all. The league is saying it those events are not important...so, why bother.

PostPosted: 07/05/22 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

There might be people curious about the league, and might come on down to participate in the fun. Not very welcoming. Will there be more people outside than inside.... ? Shocked Isn't the Taste of Chicago this weekend too? I can see people bailing on the W events to go get some FOOOOD! Laughing

PostPosted: 07/06/22 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ChicagoAnnie"Isn't the Taste of Chicago this weekend too?[/quote]
Ah...so it is, in Grant Park! If it's 40-years-old, it's probably been 38 since I went! Too.many.people. Sweaty. Half-naked. Drunk. No boundaries. Maybe it's changed! Wink Starts at 11 a.m. Free admission. No food tickets, which will probably simplify things. Live music - bring your own seating.

It's greatly scaled back - instead of a week-long thing that overlapped with the Fourth, it's now just three days - "a bite-sized version of the classic lakefront food festival from July 8 – 10." There were neighborhood-based Tastes throughout June. I was clueless! Laughing

https://www.choosechicago.com/articles/festivals-special-events/taste-of-chicago-restaurants/

https://www.choosechicago.com/articles/festivals-special-events/taste-of-chicago-overview/

All the more reason I will head down early on Sunday to avoid the crowds. Will watch my livestreamed church service from the comforts of the 2121 Pantry and wander up to my seat during Sunday School! Cool

PostPosted: 07/07/22 4:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I found out from my friend who has a floor ticket that they were invited to participate inside, and she can bring a guest.

Well, it turns out it is still a watch party, just in high-tech upscale digs at a new-ish place in the McCormick Place West Building across from Wintrust. Then we are to go to the festival.

Our weekend weather is looking good! After some rain on Friday, should be dry. Temps upper 60s - mid-70s; will top out at 80 on Sunday. It will, however, be humid.

Be ready for anything! We have a saying - if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes! Laughing One afternoon last summer, the temperature plummeted from around 90 to 50 in less than 1/2 hour! Shocked

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

The husband and I will be there, both at the festival thing on Saturday and the game on Sunday. We’ll be wearing either Sacramento or Cleveland throwbacks on Saturday and Liberty throwbacks on Sunday. I’m also bringing name tags.

Update: we went with the Cleveland throwbacks and may or may not be throwing back with the Liberty. I packed both Witherspoon and Willoughby.

Also if on that preceding Friday you see someone with a Tulsa Shock t-shirt and a stuffed moose, it's probably me.

PostPosted: 07/08/22 3:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Travel safely!

I'll watch this space. Won't be downtown on Friday; may come down early-ish on Saturday to check out the festival, which is right outside of Wintrust (they just list the intersection). Will be interesting to see how they set it up - there's not that much space out there unless they're closing off the streets!

The Title IX panel should be good - the recent post-game one was good with our Mayor, Coach Doug Bruno (DePaul), one of our owners who was the first Sky President and CEO, and Parker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNpJWVIkXtg

Wonder which legends they've secured for Saturday's panel? This Thursday Tribune article doesn't mention any, though it's been said elsewhere: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sky/ct-cb-wnba-all-star-game-chicago-20220707-agzvjn5475cm3nhokvvrycn5eu-story.html

PostPosted: 07/08/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Special Rules for the ASG

https://www.wnba.com/news/4-point-shot-highlight-special-rules-for-att-wnba-all-star-2022/

Quote:
The only time in which players will physically attempt a free throw will be during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter and during the entirety of any overtime period(s).

PostPosted: 07/08/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.wnba.com/news/4-point-shot-highlight-special-rules-for-att-wnba-all-star-2022/

Quote:
The only time in which players will physically attempt a free throw will be during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter and during the entirety of any overtime period(s).

Rolling Eyes

tfan

PostPosted: 07/09/22 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Keep that rule forever. I would have made a "4 point line" rather than "4 point circles".

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/09/22 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This fair is pretty cool! Food, merch, photo opps, music! It's in the Plaza right across from Wintrust. And the weather is beautiful!

PostPosted: 07/09/22 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wanted to pop in and say that they are broadcasting the media availability on league pass. These interviews have been fun to watch! I happened to see someone post about it (I hate that we still have to search around for these things) and popped in late but was able to rewind back to catch it from the beginning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: