RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stewart joins other stars leaving Russia's Ekaterinburg

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/22 3:35 pm    ::: Stewart joins other stars leaving Russia's Ekaterinburg Reply Reply with quote

https://justwomenssports.com/breanna-stewart-ummc-ekaterinburg-russia-overseas-basketball/

Quote:
While the need for players to go abroad to supplement their WNBA salaries has long been a sticking point, many have opted to stop playing in Russia amid the country’s invasion of Ukraine. Fellow WNBA star Brittney Griner’s detainment in Russia has also raised concerns about player safety in the country, as many believe Griner to be a political pawn.

PostPosted: 07/01/22 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine any American player would be willing to play on Russia at this point. I would be apprehensive about playing in China as well. I feel for the players who will lose big contracts due to this but your freedom and security is more important than money.

I wonder what ripple effect this will have in the WBB economy. The overseas paychecks have always been a bit of a bubble and it has potentially burst. Perhaps other countries will fill the void Russia will leave here but it's unlikely anyone will be getting UMMC money elsewhere.

Perhaps this is the chance the W has to stake it's claim on the top players and aomewhow find a way to pay them more so that playing the W is the most financially lucrative option for a woman's basketball player. Ya know, kind of like how it is for the NBA. I know that's I likely due to the recent CBA but for the longevity and prestige of this league, they will one day need to fix the prioritization issue and this could be the opening they need to compete with overseas contracts.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/01/22 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I can't imagine any American player would be willing to play on Russia at this point. I would be apprehensive about playing in China as well. I feel for the players who will lose big contracts due to this but your freedom and security is more important than money.

I wonder what ripple effect this will have in the WBB economy. The overseas paychecks have always been a bit of a bubble and it has potentially burst. Perhaps other countries will fill the void Russia will leave here but it's unlikely anyone will be getting UMMC money elsewhere.

Perhaps this is the chance the W has to stake it's claim on the top players and aomewhow find a way to pay them more so that playing the W is the most financially lucrative option for a woman's basketball player. Ya know, kind of like how it is for the NBA. I know that's I likely due to the recent CBA but for the longevity and prestige of this league, they will one day need to fix the prioritization issue and this could be the opening they need to compete with overseas contracts.

I am not sure that they money will be there for basketball in Russia with teams just not having all that much to play for before accounting for owners not having as much to spend. There have been a couple of foreign players including an American or two being announced as signings for men's teams in Russia. In any given season, there are five or more men's teams with bigger budgets than our estimates for Ekaterinburg in Russia.

On the men's side, China seems to be getting closer to the caliber of male foreign players that they were before the pandemic even though the money and playing time is not as good. There have been no indicators that they plan on allowing foreign players again on the women's side with South Korea also apparently staying local only. I think we have passed the peak of overseas salaries. What the WNBA does with that is up in the air.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/03/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Fenerbahce and Galatasaray have payed UMMC money in the past when they had Taurasi. So it doesnt suprise me that they have signed Stewie and Meesseman on top of all those other wnba players they already had

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: