RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina @ #15 Duke - 12/15/21
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Duke
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/21 2:01 pm    ::: #1 South Carolina @ #15 Duke - 12/15/21 Reply Reply with quote

Durham, NC - 7:00 PM ET
TV: ACC Network (Pam Ward, Stephanie White)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=9b6fe2b6-8c66-485b-bc2b-c2fc91a82436 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://goduke.com/showcase?Live=670
https://gamecocksonline.com/showcase?Live=729

Live stats:
https://goduke.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/15/21 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 2:23 pm    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina @ #15 Duke - 12/15/21 Reply Reply with quote

This longtime Duke Women's Basketball fan is optimistic but realistic about this game. Some here might remember that I stated we could beat threepeat Tennessee in the 1999 Elite Eight. You might also remember the grief directed at me for that statement. I don't think this squad is there yet and Coach Kara does not yet have the horses to pull off that kind of upset.

All that being said, this team is playing solid defense, which means they have a chance. Unfortunately, SC is also solid defensively, with post defense being off the charts. You know low scoring Victaria Saxton is playing excellent defense to stay on the floor as much as she has, over the 6-7 Kamila Cardoso. I'm quite sure Duke's trio of centers are being drilled on rebounding basics and Duke's wings are known to sneak in for rebounds to prevent the shellacking Maryland just got from put backs.

I'm also sure that nobody at this point is unaware of Duke's formerly secret weapon in frosh Shy Day-Wilson. I expect lockdown defender Bri Beal will work to keep her from getting any looks. Much of the outcome depends on if Destanni Henderson plays and if she is as effective as she was before the injury. Duke will have a field day knocking the ball loose from Amihere, who had 5 turnovers against Maryland.

~rAf
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/15/21 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice write-up, RAF. Should be a good game and you know Duke will at least give a good account of itself- that's a relief, I bet. I'm really glad for your sake that the witch is gone!

Would be nice to know Henderson's exact injury and expected return date, but Staley is being a jerk, imo, about it.

Yeah, I know all the nonsense about not giving the opponent any ammo...

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Nice write-up, RAF. Should be a good game and you know Duke will at least give a good account of itself- that's a relief, I bet. I'm really glad for your sake that the witch is gone!

Would be nice to know Henderson's exact injury and expected return date, but Staley is being a jerk, imo, about it.

Yeah, I know all the nonsense about not giving the opponent any ammo...

Yeah, it's been a decade + since I've been this excited about a game! Word here is that Destanni was in shoot around today.

~rAf
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game couldn't start any better for the Gamecocks.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks lead 17-7 at the end of the 1st quarter. The game opened with a 3-ptr. by Duke's Balogun, that was answered with Amihere hitting a 3-ptr. Then the Gamecocks went on a 17-0 run including Amihere's 3, to take a 17-3 lead. Then a foul and a turnover at the end of the period assisted the Blue Devils with a little 4-pt run to close out the quarter.....

Boston also hit on a 3-ptr., and leads the team with 7 pts on 3-6 shooting, with 6 rebounds....

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did anyone really think Duke had a chance in this game?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina leads at the half 32-16. The game has been a bit sloppy, with a combined 21 turnovers handed out - 11 for Duke, 10 for USC. But the Gamecocks have dominated on the rebounding boards, and had a strong half from the 3-pt. line, thanks to Destiny Littleton.

Aliyah Boston leads the way with 9 pts on 4-8 shooting, and 1-1 from the 3-pt. line. She also has 8 rebounds, 1 block, and 1 steal. Littleton came in off the bench after not playing against Maryland, and she must have been a little miffed at that. She also scores 9 pts on 3-5 shooting all from behind the arc.

Laeticia Amihere added 7 pts on 2-6 shooting, with 3 rebounds and 3 assists against just 1 turnover. Zia Cooke struggled mightily in the 1st half: she went scoreless on 0-4 shooting, with 3 turnovers. I expect her to come out for the 2nd half on a mission, but it displays how this team has multiple offensive options these days, with Henderson out and Cooke shooting a goose-egg half of ball. Used to be not too long ago, that would have the team in a big hole offensively against a quality opponent like Duke on their floor.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
did anyone really think Duke had a chance in this game?

I thought it would be more competitive on Duke's floor. They are having a strong season thus far. South Carolina is just so dominant on the boards, it cuts down opponents' 2nd-chance opportunities, and that can get demoralizing fast....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Duke would make a game out of it, with SC eventually winning by 12-15. Duke is lucky they're not behind by 30 already.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I thought Duke would make a game out of it, with SC eventually winning by 12-15. Duke is lucky they're not behind by 30 already.

Duke winning Q3.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Duke winning Q3.

Duke not giving up, winning Q3 by 5. I love this team re-grouping and coming back.

~rAf
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks out-scored 15-10 in the 3rd, and now lead 42-31. The Duke zone defense is starting to affect them. Cooke suffering through a horrible game thus far - she's only 1-11 for 2 pts after 3 quarters.....

This was more like what I expected from the game.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Coach Staley is going to let Cooke shoot herself out of her slump.....

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Duke winning Q3.

Duke not giving up, winning Q3 by 5. I love this team re-grouping and coming back.

Single digits! 7 pt game!

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Duke winning Q3.

Single digits! 7 pt game!

SC wins by 9 pts.

I am proud of this Duke team. Giving up is not in the vocabulary.

And weighing in on the "should Shy Day-Wilson" start the game: why mess with what's working? But yes, she should be the first sub in, along with one of the rotating trio of centers.

Aaliyah Boston certainly is the Player of the Year this year - so far at least. What a beast!

~rAf
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecocks survive a ugly game 55-46. They were out-scored 30-23 for the 2nd half. They will need to improve on the practice courts before taking on Stanford....

Aliyah Boston led the way with 19 pts on 8-15 shooting, with 14 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. She was also 2-3 from the 3-pt. line.

Destiny Littleton had her season high with 10 pts off of 3-6 shooting, all from the 3-pt. line.

Laeticia Amihere also scored 10 pts on 3-7 shooting, plus 1-1 from the 3-pt. arc. She also had 7 rebounds, 3 assists (all in the 1st half), and 3 turnovers. She was a bit flustered in the 2nd half.

Zia Cooke really struggled tonight - she scored 7 pts on 3-17 shooting, 1-9 from the 3-pt. line. She also had 6 turnovers!!

Survive and regroup. Back to the classroom (the practice court)......

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 12/15/21 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised to be saying this, but Duke played SCar closer and better defensively than UConn did. Well, SCar did have Henderson against UConn, but still a very good showing by the Blue Dresses. A massive rebounding advantage again paid off for SCar, as they certainly didn't prevail in shooting or assists.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Gamecocks survive a ugly game 55-46. They were out-scored 30-23 for the 2nd half. They will need to improve on the practice courts before taking on Stanford....

Aliyah Boston led the way with 19 pts on 8-15 shooting, with 14 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals. She was also 2-3 from the 3-pt. line.

Destiny Littleton had her season high with 10 pts off of 3-6 shooting, all from the 3-pt. line.

Laeticia Amihere also scored 10 pts on 3-7 shooting, plus 1-1 from the 3-pt. arc. She also had 7 rebounds, 3 assists (all in the 2nd half), and 3 turnovers. She was a bit flustered in the 2nd half.

Zia Cooke really struggled tonight - she scored 7 pts on 3-17 shooting, 1-9 from the 3-pt. line. She also had 6 turnovers!!

47% ft shooting will bite you in the ass eventually.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/15/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The girls went on and on about Amihere. I'm not convinced.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/16/21 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Laeticia Amihere also scored 10 pts on 3-7 shooting, plus 1-1 from the 3-pt. arc. She also had 7 rebounds, 3 assists (all in the 2nd half), and 3 turnovers. She was a bit flustered in the 2nd half.

47% ft shooting will bite you in the ass eventually.

Ha. It bit mine last night. Smile

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/16/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Yeah not sure about her playing PG but I’m going in a limb and stating she has the most WNBA potential on this entire team. Yes including Boston . Any other year Amihere could be a #1 pick. 10 years down the road I see LA being the better player in the pros . Boston will be a force and all star but LA has intangibles that you can’t teach at 6”4. Literally can play 1-5 with ease.

PostPosted: 12/16/21 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah not sure about her playing PG but I’m going in a limb and stating she has the most WNBA potential on this entire team. Yes including Boston . Any other year Amihere could be a #1 pick. 10 years down the road I see LA being the better player in the pros . Boston will be a force and all star but LA has intangibles that you can’t teach at 6”4. Literally can play 1-5 with ease.

Hey friend!

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/16/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Surprised to be saying this, but Duke played SCar closer and better defensively than UConn did. Well, SCar did have Henderson against UConn, but still a very good showing by the Blue Dresses. A massive rebounding advantage again paid off for SCar, as they certainly didn't prevail in shooting or assists.

Zia Cooke had a terrible game, and she has been in a slump for the last 2-3 games. Minus just her contributions, USC shot .425 from the field and .462 from behind the 3-pt. line. The effort from the free throw line was a team-wide effort, and like Cooke with her overall shooting, they've been slumping there too over the past 2-3 games: they were around 70% as a team FT shooting until then.

Both Cooke and the team FT shooting should improve as the season goes along. What I'm concerned with are the turnovers, as not only have they been a mainstay during this season, but they were an issue last season as well....

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/17/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I disagree. Amihere has a very broad set of skills, it is true. But she cannot "literally play 1-5 with ease." She has too many turnovers to play PG and does not score enough to play SG. On the other hand, Boston's ceiling is Jonquel Jones, assuming Aayliah can continue developing her outside shot. Like Jonquel, she is a rebounding machine, who scores a lot from putbacks. With all of SC's posts, they could rotate Boston out a little more often for that shot as they very much need more 3 pt shooting when Littleton is not on fire. There's still Saxton, Amihere or Cardoso to clean up the O-boards when Boston sneaks outside.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: