47%
 47%  [ 17 ]
Aces
52%
 52%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 36

scrappy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with pretty much everything already said here. i do want to congratulate hamby for her achievement (of the season). i used to not able to stand her. i thought she was terrible. a wasted draft choice, a wasted roster spot. much like the noelle quinn and jenna o'hea of the storm. but she put in the hard work and improved a super great deal this season. she deserves that limelight last night.

good work, dearica hamby!

PostPosted: 09/16/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

by the way, that play was number 1 of espn's top 10 last night

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scrappy wrote:
with pretty much everything already said here. i do want to congratulate hamby for her achievement (of the season). i used to not able to stand her. i thought she was terrible. a wasted draft choice, a wasted roster spot. much like the noelle quinn and jenna o'hea of the storm. but she put in the hard work and improved a super great deal this season. she deserves that limelight last night.

good work, dearica hamby!

yeah, me too. On both counts. It's always great to see a player who looks marginal as a rookie put in the work and really belong...like Alysha Clark too.

- Amanda Gorman
bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
at least it wasn't LA. Otherwise the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force!

We will be probably be out in full force tomorrow at halftime of the first game..... Laughing

You bet we will! Smile

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

What makes the last two minutes more important than the other 38?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I never said the last two minutes of a game is more important than the first 38.

Um, you kinda did...
Quote:
The play happened with less than 2 minutes remaining in a playoff game...The officials should have reviewed the play.

zune69 wrote:
But if it's okay to call for a review/instant replay to see who touched the ball last on a ball that went out of bounds. I see nothing wrong with doing the same for a player that might've stepped out of bounds.

You're comparing something that DID happen (the ball going out of bounds) to something that maybe didn't happen (stepping on a line).

But let's say that the league gives you what you want. Why stop at line reviews? Why not review a possible travel (Dolson, I'm looking at you)? Possible three seconds? Possible 8 seconds? Possible foul? Possible double-dribble?

A game would no longer be ~2 hours. Better plan on 2 days.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arguably one player on each team and the refs made a mistake on that play. Fans are mainly blaming the refs. Not Sloot's bonehead pass or Hamby's lucky but ill advised shot. Laughing It was a comedy of errors for sure.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

You're comparing something that DID happen (the ball going out of bounds) to something that maybe didn't happen (stepping on a line).

Review/Instant replay of who touched the ball last before going out of bounds and whether or not a player stepped out of bounds are both plays that determine which team gets possession of the basketball. Both are equally important IMO.

Why review one but not the other?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Review/Instant replay of who touched the ball last before going out of bounds and whether or not a player stepped out of bounds are both plays that determine which team gets possession of the basketball. Both are equally important IMO.

I used to get a referee catalog/magazine when I was still officiating. There were shirts for sale that said "It's nothing until I call it." There is no violation by Hamby until the ref calls it. The ref didn't call it. When the ball goes out of bounds and the ref isn't 100% sure who it went off of, it still gets called a violation. Review is just going to determine who committed the violation. The review isn't to determine if a violation occurred.

zune69 wrote:
Why review one but not the other?

Because fans would stop watching the game and players would stop playing. Because if you review for things that MIGHT have happened, you're going to be reviewing EVERYTHING! Nobody wants to watch that.

Are you also going to review if Dolson traveled or not (keep in mind if you review for that, you pretty much have to review every time a player starts or stops a dribble, because, there could possibly be a violation with those too)? If that had been reviewed and called as I think that it should have been called, we wouldn't be talking about Hamby possibly going out of bounds.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
bballgrl

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Arguably one player on each team and the refs made a mistake on that play. Fans are mainly blaming the refs. Not Sloot's bonehead pass or Hamby's lucky but ill advised shot. Laughing It was a comedy of errors for sure.

You think that Hamby's shot was ill advised??

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/17/19 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Randy wrote:

Considering there were still five seconds on the clock and she had a wide open teammate under the hoop? Of course it was. That's a terrible, terrible shot until it goes in.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So here's a thought: Install the same kind of technology tennis uses on the court sidelines so any out-of-bounds play can be quickly and easily reviewed after a challenge.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Randy wrote:

Saved them from going into overtime. Hamby was like, screw that. We have a flight to catch.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So here's a thought: Install the same kind of technology tennis uses on the court sidelines so any out-of-bounds play can be quickly and easily reviewed after a challenge.

Should the WNBA enact play challenges that can cost coaches timeouts if they are wrong or there isn’t enough evidence to overturn? 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is a great idea. The NBA has a history of using the WNBA as their test subject for new ideas. Installing an out of bounds technology would make reviews more efficient. They could also use it to determine if a shot was a three or two point field goal.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In tennis the issue is whether the ball was out of bounds, while in basketball the question is whether the player is out of bounds. Seems like the tech would be a different if not somewhat harder.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

The vast majority of out-of-bounds calls come down to who touched the ball last before it goes flying off the court. So Hawkeye seems rather excessive for the very occasional decision that comes down to someone's foot.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laser alarm tech exists that could show if/when a single player's foot came down on/over the line. The problem is the continual interference by other players, coaches, and officials stepping on the line as well, which I think would be very hard to eliminate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: