RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Story Behind The Biggest Brawl In WNBA History

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:00 pm    ::: The Story Behind The Biggest Brawl In WNBA History Reply Reply with quote

https://deadspin.com/the-story-behind-the-biggest-brawl-in-wnba-history-1837850806

Quote:
Deadspin interviewed some of the key players, coaches, and commentators involved in the fight for a look back at—for better or worse—one of the most memorable nights in WNBA history.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:22 pm    ::: Re: The Story Behind The Biggest Brawl In WNBA History Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://deadspin.com/the-story-behind-the-biggest-brawl-in-wnba-history-1837850806

Quote:
Deadspin interviewed some of the key players, coaches, and commentators involved in the fight for a look back at—for better or worse—one of the most memorable nights in WNBA history.

yep, that reminds me the corrupted wnba and politics. parker only go one game suspension so that she could appear in the abc national televised game, and subsequently onto the olympics without the 'right after suspension' tag on her back.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What really gets me is that this game had huge crowd (13k) - lots of noise and excited fans. What happened that the Shock just left town a few years later?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
What really gets me is that this game had huge crowd (13k) - lots of noise and excited fans. What happened that the Shock just left town a few years later?

The owner died and his widow didn't want the team

PostPosted: 09/12/19 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y8LCCMBGTVg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8LCCMBGTVg

PostPosted: 09/12/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet another franchise that had a great fanbase and a great history (minus this very topic) that should still exist. The new arena in Detroit sure would've looked good with a W team in it Sad

I saw that The Palace is due to be demolished this fall. That venue had seen a lot back in its day...

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/12/19 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
That venue had seen a lot back in its day...

Yes, it has. Including an even bigger basketball brawl.

<embed><iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CXEFMfd9c1A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXEFMfd9c1A

PostPosted: 09/12/19 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't watch that. It's the fight that ended Cheryl Ford's career.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richard 77

PostPosted: 09/12/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too bad our former member Diane isn't here anymore. She was seated courtside on the Sparks bench that day near the scorer's table.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/12/19 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lieberman had seen the fight break out between the Sparks and Shock when she was at a Hooters at Six Flags for her son T.J.’s 13th birthday.

PostPosted: 09/12/19 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
Lieberman had seen the fight break out between the Sparks and Shock when she was at a Hooters at Six Flags for her son T.J.’s 13th birthday.

😂

SDHoops

PostPosted: 09/12/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Quote:

😂

I have a feeling Nancy enjoyed herself some Hooters more than the son, if you catch my anna-mated metaphor.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/11/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Yet another franchise that had a great fanbase and a great history (minus this very topic) that should still exist. The new arena in Detroit sure would've looked good with a W team in it Sad

I saw that The Palace is due to be demolished this fall. That venue had seen a lot back in its day...

Update: The Palace of Auburn Hills has officially been torn down. (Video footage of the implosion included in the article)

Quote:
The WNBA's Detroit Shock -- led by head coach Bill Laimbeer, who was a key member of those Bad Boy Pistons teams -- won three titles in 2003, 2006 and 2008. Now in Dallas after a brief stop in Tulsa, the franchise has had little success since leaving Detroit behind.

Along with plenty of success, the arena was coincidentally also home to two of the worst nights in NBA and WNBA history: The Malice at the Palace and the on-court brawl between the Shock and Los Angeles Sparks.

jap

PostPosted: 07/11/20 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The seed for that fight was planted in the first Detroit-LA meeting that season. Rookie Candace Parker, during a play stoppage, walked over to one of the officials and showed him her bloodied lips - curtesy of a Plenette Pierson elbow. The official did nothing, apparently because he did not actually see the infraction. However, veteran Lisa Leslie exacted revenge for Ace by smashing Plenette with her own lethal elbows later that game.

This set the stage for the Big Brawl in Detroit-LA Game Two ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: