RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 CT @ #14 CAL 12.22.18 3p PAC12 Network
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty good job by Cal overall. They made twice as many three's as normal and more importantly kept the TO's to just 8 after coming in averaging over 15. Scoring fastbreak points off TO's is a big part of UConn's game. Reducing them is a key for opponents to stay competitive.

Anigwe struggled to score in the first half but otherwise had a decent game. She rebounded, threw some nice passes (only 3 assists but could've been more) and she made some defensive plays. I was concerned Kristine would get into foul trouble, but for the most part she played under control. Not great, not terrible -- I'd give her a passing grade.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Cal has come a long way from the team that beat Houston at home by one stinking point.

Cal also trailed St. Mary's for most of the game before scrambling to tie late and then win in overtime. That's why I thought today would be a blowout.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KLS has had dub-dubs in the last three games. A smooth operator.

The Pac 12 seems like the strongest conference. Even though UConn shot a very good percentage today, I'm not sure it would have been enough to win on the home courts of Stanford, Oregon or maybe not Oregon State. The Husky defense is not yet up to many prior year standards -- and, lacking Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse, much less Moriah Jefferson and Breanna Stewart, will likely never be.

Then there's the non-existent bench, which, in addition to never playing meaningful game minutes, never even plays meaningful practice minutes because Geno uses male practice players. "Hey, come to 'The Basketball Capital of the World' so you can run drills in practice and sit on plastic chairs during games."
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lost my internet, for the first time ever, (other than when losing electricity) from 1-5pm today. Evil or Very Mad

Had to watch on my phone and use data (nearly 5gb). Between texts and losing the stream, I think I saw roughly half the game. Very frustrating. If I had won lotto last night, I may have hurled my phone through the TV. Smile

Well, enough about me. Let's talk about me.

It's hard to adjust to diminished expectation. I expect smart play and solid defense. Ain't happening too much these days. Meh. They won. And Cal shot out of their asses.

I'm actually concerned about the Baylor game, which comes after a 12-day layoff....

Here's hoping Crystal has a Moriah Jefferson Christmas break conversion.

Come on everybody, sing it with me-

Christmas break conversion, uh-huh

Gift for Husky Nation

Crystal Mo conversion

Crystal (doot-doot) Mo-o conversion.

Maybe tomorrow?! Laughing

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Had to watch on my phone and use data (nearly 5gb). Between texts and losing the stream, I think I saw roughly half the game.

Game will be replayed at 7pm ET tonight here:

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-bay-area-live/
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/22/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Had to watch on my phone and use data (nearly 5gb). Between texts and losing the stream, I think I saw roughly half the game.

Game will be replayed at 7pm ET tonight here:

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-bay-area-live/

thanks, brah!

PostPosted: 12/22/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oklahoma's defense looked better than Cal's.

Sad that Geno uses no bench at all in a meaningless OOC game, when he'll need those players if there's even one injury or foul problem in an important game, and when he'll need them next season.

Meaningless? As opposed to all those meaningful conference games?

No kidding. Considering what conference they play in, UConn's OOC games are far more meaningful and important to team development for the tournament than their conference games.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oklahoma's defense looked better than Cal's.

Sad that Geno uses no bench at all in a meaningless OOC game, when he'll need those players if there's even one injury or foul problem in an important game, and when he'll need them next season.

Meaningless? As opposed to all those meaningful conference games?

No kidding. Considering what conference they play in, UConn's OOC games are far more meaningful and important to team development for the tournament than their conference games.

I'm not clear on what other people's opinions are on this, but let me clarify my own opinion.

I don't think it's meaningful whether UConn won or lost this game, or wins or loses any AAC game. What's meaningful to me, primarily, is to prepare the entire team to win the NCAA tournament, including bench preparation for contingencies such as injury and foul trouble; and, secondarily, to prepare non-seniors for playing time next season.

I also strongly believe that basketball players -- like actors and trial or appellate lawyers -- don't develop nearly so well during practice or rehearsal time as they do in actual, real contest, non-garbage, game time.

Finally, if you treat your healthy bench essentially as personae non gratae, that reputation surely can't help recruiting.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Finally, if you treat your healthy bench essentially as personae non gratae, that reputation surely can't help recruiting.

On the other hand, when you're a top 20 recruit you think you're gonna be one of the five on the floor...and you're gonna get to play a LOT of minutes. I'm just surprised there aren't even more transfers once reality sets in. But maybe they go on thinking 'next year'... Especially right now a player like Ododa, and for her it's probably correct thinking. However if Geno signs a big post transfer with immediate eligibility, then if I'm Ododa, I'm outta there.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

On the other hand, when you're a top 20 recruit you think you're gonna be one of the five on the floor...and you're gonna get to play a LOT of minutes. I'm just surprised there aren't even more transfers once reality sets in. But maybe they go on thinking 'next year'... Especially right now a player like Ododa, and for her it's probably correct thinking. However if Geno signs a big post transfer with immediate eligibility, then if I'm Ododa, I'm outta there.

Thanks, I forgot to rant about transfers.

Treating your healthy bench as personae non gratae will definitely increase the probability of transfers. UConn has already lost two players from the sophomore class, and recently announced transferee Lexi Gordon has already disappeared from the roster. I also wouldn't expect Batouly Camara to return for a fifth year, since she likely has no confidence she'd ever play meaningful minutes even if healthy.

I don't think ONO will transfer for lack of playing time this season, because she's a lock to start next season when UConn will only have nine players, or eight if Camara graduates and leaves. What I think may have happened is that Aliyaah Boston and Haley Jones may have been partially influenced not to come to UConn by doubts about whether they would get time over ONO and Walker.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I also wouldn't expect Batouly Camara to return for a fifth year, since she likely has no confidence she'd ever play meaningful minutes even if healthy.

On the other hand, that extra year of free education might be appealing.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/22/18 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My rant about transfers is- he better get some damn good transfers to fill the huge holes in '19-20.

Also, how meaningful was today's game, really? I tend to agree w/ Glenn here.

Ono needs minutes. Playing against the likes of Anigwe is good experience, imo. UConn has proven, 2 years running, that an undefeated reg season means exactly not too much.

Would it be worse to lose at Cal, or at UCF?

PostPosted: 12/22/18 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Thanks, I forgot to rant about transfers.

Treating your healthy bench as personae non gratae will definitely increase the probability of transfers. UConn has already lost two players from the sophomore class, and recently announced transferee Lexi Gordon has already disappeared from the roster. I also wouldn't expect Batouly Camara to return for a fifth year, since she likely has no confidence she'd ever play meaningful minutes even if healthy.

I don't think ONO will transfer for lack of playing time this season, because she's a lock to start next season when UConn will only have nine players, or eight if Camara graduates and leaves. What I think may have happened is that Aliyaah Boston and Haley Jones may have been partially influenced not to come to UConn by doubts about whether they would get time over ONO and Walker.

I will say Jones could play the 3 or 4 so starting at Uconn wouldn’t have been a problem for her, I do wonder where she will play at Stanford, with the Hull twin doing good, and Brink coming in 2020, maybe Jones can play the off guard? There was a Baylor fan that said ONO will transfer from Uconn due to home sickness back when she first signed, I’m sure Geno could have found her more then 2 minutes today close game or not, if Uconn doesn’t win it all this year I could see her transferring out in the off season, I’ll take a wild guess and say to Tennessee. It seems like every year Uconn doesn’t win a championship they lose a player to Transfer, if you come to Uconn to win championships and don’t, why stay?
acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/23/18 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both of the times Geno picked up technical's this year it was on a completely legitimate call. He seriously thought out of control Meg deserved a call on her wild drive to the hoop while falling down? Get out of here. Brilliant job to pick up a technical up 10 with 1:30 left! If Cal hit that 3 down 6 it's a one possession game. I think most of these coaches get T's for camera time. It's so easy to voice an opinion getting your point across without getting a T.

Just shows you how rattled Geno is in these close games and how he is not a sharp as he once was. I mean this was one of the better reffed games this year no? You really gonna get all upset over that call? Rattled.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: