RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame (2) at Marquette (17) - Sat. 12/22 1:30P EST FS1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/21/18 10:33 pm    ::: Notre Dame (2) at Marquette (17) - Sat. 12/22 1:30P EST FS1 Reply Reply with quote

Milwaukee, WI - 1:30 PM ET
TV: FS1

Stream (may need TV provider log in):
https://www.foxsportsgo.com/program/500715/womens-college-basketball-notre-dame-at-marquette

Audio:
https://und.com/showcase?Live=226

Live stats:
https://gomarquette.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

It's the homecoming game for Arike Ogunbowale. And it's a rare sellout at Marquette. I have a fear that there will be way more ND fans there but it just means I will have to cheer louder Smile. I have General Admission season tickets which is normally fine but tomorrow it means being there 90 minutes before game start - don't think I've ever been to one of their games that early especially as the doors usually only open 60 minutes before the game.

Senior starter Danielle King and Junior sharpshooter Isabelle Spingola who comes off the bench are my keys to the game for MU.

Please don't be another close heartbreaking loss for MU - of course it could just as easily be an ND blowout too...

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting bit of trivia:

The only starter in this game who hasn't hit the 1,000 point college career mark is ND's Jackie Young. She's just 22 points shy of the mark.

The starting lineup for both teams have a lot of playing experience. Young is the only non-senior for either team to be starting, and she's a junior.

Last year's game went into OT at ND, so ND obviously isn't going to be looking past this road game.

They're very familiar with each other. Until the 2013-14 season (after ND had those "Play UConn 4 times a season" period), Marquette was the team that had played ND more than anyone. Now that's UConn (will be by 9 games after this current one). I'm not sure where ND ranks in the games played against Marquette, since as far as I can tell they don't have their media guide online.

Jessica Shepard is just 2 straight baskets away from tying ND's record for consecutive field goals. She's at 15 and the school record is 17, going back to Carey Poor in 1994. I decided to check to see if that was near the NCAA record and at first I thought it was, but 17 is the record for one game. The season record is almost twice that, and by a current player to boot (33 by Oregon's Ruthy Hebard last year).

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Interesting bit of trivia:

The only starter in this game who hasn't hit the 1,000 point college career mark is ND's Jackie Young. She's just 22 points shy of the mark.

The starting lineup for both teams have a lot of playing experience. Young is the only non-senior for either team to be starting, and she's a junior.

Last year's game went into OT at ND, so ND obviously isn't going to be looking past this road game.

They're very familiar with each other. Until the 2013-14 season (after ND had those "Play UConn 4 times a season" period), Marquette was the team that had played ND more than anyone. Now that's UConn (will be by 9 games after this current one). I'm not sure where ND ranks in the games played against Marquette, since as far as I can tell they don't have their media guide online.

Jessica Shepard is just 2 straight baskets away from tying ND's record for consecutive field goals. She's at 15 and the school record is 17, going back to Carey Poor in 1994. I decided to check to see if that was near the NCAA record and at first I thought it was, but 17 is the record for one game. The season record is almost twice that, and by a current player to boot (33 by Oregon's Ruthy Hebard last year).

Yes Marquette is the only Div 1 Women's team right now with five 1,000 point scorers and ND is about to join them.

Marquette's Allazia Blockton needs 21 points to become Marquette's first ever Men's or Women's player to eclipse 2,000 points and that could happen in this game.

Marquette and Notre Dame have played 41 times and ND definitely owns the series at 33-8 all-time. I didn't remember ever seeing MU beat ND but I see they did win in 2007 and 2009. ND is at least 4th on the list of teams MU has played - they've played DePaul, UW-Green Bay and UW-Milwaukee more often.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/22/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame's preview of Marquette game: https://und.com/news/2018/12/21/womens-basketball-game-12-preview-marquette.aspx

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

G-d soccer

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not even soccer. It's a frickin' award show.

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is the stream? Marquette's crowd is there today. Second loss for ND today.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Where is the stream? Marquette's crowd is there today. Second loss for ND today.

Except the MU fans are the sit on their hands crowd Sad. Already got an evil eye for cheering loudly and wasn’t saying anything inappropriate - just cheering.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Except the MU fans are the sit on their hands crowd Sad. Already got an evil eye for cheering loudly and wasn’t saying anything inappropriate - just cheering.

Don't let them get in your way. I would cheer louder. Those people are at friggin' basketball game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awesome speed. zip, zip, zip. I'm out of breath already. fun for watching.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Don't let them get in your way. I would cheer louder. Those people are at friggin' basketball game.

Oh that doesn’t stop me - I responded that I’ll just cheer louder now 😀. I’ve made my fair share of fans switch seats over the years 😀.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feels like ND is about to take control of this one Sad. Some stupid plays by MU and ND is killing MU on the inside as I figured they would. ND leads 31-24 with 4:34 to go in the second quarter.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
G-d soccer

So the game still isn’t even on? So much for Marquette’s chance to be on national television. Oh well - it’s not a very good showing anyway. ND leads 42-29 at the half.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's on TV. It just started a bit late.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How was Marquette so successful against Miss St considering how much the size disadvantage seems to be killing them here today?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

67-50 ND leads after three quarters.

Ogunbowale 28 pts so far on 12/18 shooting. Turner adds 18.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heideman is playing great, but Blockton is 2/13 for 4 points.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arike makes her hometown fans happy with a 32 pt performance.

20 for Turner, 15 for Shepard (plus 18 rebounds).

Heideman ends up with 21 for Marquette, but Blockton vanishes with only 4.

Final, 87-63.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Final, 87-63.

Hey you shorted Hiedeman 2 points - just having fun - that doesn't matter of course Smile.

Arike had an awesome homecoming performance and Allazia was MIA on a day where she really had a chance to shine.

Notre Dame is obviously a much better team. I'm feeling pretty discouraged with how Marquette played. And it's not leaving me feeling too good as they head into conference play. Here I was getting slightly bummed I wouldn't be able to attend first and second round games should they get to host - don't think I have to worry about that now.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Final, 87-63.

Hey you shorted Hiedeman 2 points - just having fun - that doesn't matter of course Smile.

Arike had an awesome homecoming performance and Allazia was MIA on a day where she really had a chance to shine.

Notre Dame is obviously a much better team. I'm feeling pretty discouraged with how Marquette played. And it's not leaving me feeling too good as they head into conference play. Here I was getting slightly bummed I wouldn't be able to attend first and second round games should they get to host - don't think I have to worry about that now.

A team is never as good as they look (on a good day) nor as bad as they look (on a bad day). Marquette is having a great year with 5 great seniors. Enjoy it!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't think Marquette looked bad at all. They're going to do just fine in conference play.

I certainly wouldn't get discouraged.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also think Marquette is a very good team, but wouldn’t be surprised if they have a head scratching conference lost.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did King play after her hard fall? I had to leave and didn't see anything much after that.

- Amanda Gorman
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/22/18 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Did King play after her hard fall? I had to leave and didn't see anything much after that.

Yeah she came back in and appeared to be fine. I actually had forgotten she had fallen for awhile - she didn't seem injured at all later.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/22/18 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah she came back in and appeared to be fine. I actually had forgotten she had fallen for awhile - she didn't seem injured at all later.

I agree. She looked fast and the announcers noted that she didn't appear slowed at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: