RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Question for current Big East member fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/16/18 1:02 pm    ::: Question for current Big East member fans Reply Reply with quote

It's been a few years now since the upheaval.

How do you feel about the greater opportunity for your team, within conference play, vis a vie the BE's fall from elite status plus losing so many good teams/players from your regular schedule?

PostPosted: 02/16/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big East/American Athletic split was necessary for several reasons, but none of them had anything to do with Women's Basketball. The Big East started out as a basketball conference, but some of its members wanted football money so they expanded in 1991. That was the beginning of the end because the conference was conceived for basketball. Even though some of the schools played football, they were OK without a conference. But when Penn St moved to the Big 10 in 1990 the writing was on the wall for East coast football schools like Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College.

The Big East conference is a very good women's basketball conference because of its balance. Providence has never been good and Xavier is down this year, but the other 8 teams are competitive. I enjoy competition. There are only 3 conferences with only two teams outside the top 100 (Based on the Sagarin Ratings), the Big 12, the Pac 12 and the Big East. I would rather watch a random Big East game than a random ACC game, even if that means missing Notre Dame - Louisville.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh, thanks for the history lesson. Laughing

Was hoping to hear from the likes of Queenie, MUfan, and other fans of Big East teams.

PostPosted: 02/17/18 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I miss the old Big East I’m not gonna lie; however, it really hasn’t affected DePaul either way. We schedule tough.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are times I miss the prestige and the power of the old, oversized Big East. We got to see so many future pros come visit at St. John's. My mom still talks about McCoughtry's Louisville days. (And I am still pissed I had to miss Taurasi's visit way back in the day. Stupid dorm meeting.)

But I don't know if St. John's, or Seton Hall, or Marquette, or Creighton, would have blossomed under the shadow of UConn and Notre Dame, or if there would have been a "this far and no further" sign and all that hope would wither and die. And I wonder if Louisville would have been able to sustain this success without ACC football money. On the other hand, I see the suffering of some of our wayward former members and just point and laugh. WHERE IS YOUR FOOTBALL GOD NOW, BC?

I don't miss my arena being taken over by UConn fans, and I don't miss the exceptional obnoxiousness of traveling Notre Dame fans. Still stuck with the Villanova fans, though. God, I wish we could trade 'Nova for St. Joe's.

It's been rough, adjusting to the reality that we are a mid-major conference. A top-tier mid-major, a multi-bid mid-major, but not on par with the Power 5. We're not the powerhouse anymore. But I think we've settled into a more stable equilibrium. I would like to see proper travel partners for Creighton and Providence added, and then never talk about expansion again.

The divorce of the basketball schools and the football schools was inevitable. I think, ultimately, we're more stable without the football schools and those schools that thought they wanted to be football schools but didn't think the whole thing through. (Yes, I know, we have members that play FCS football, but they still know where their priorities are.) We know our identity. We know who we are. As long as we stay in our lane and don't do anything crazy, we'll be fine.

That being said, can we maybe have the conference tournament somewhere on the East Coast once in a while?

(now with spelling variations)
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:15 pm    ::: Re: Question for current Big East member fans Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
It's been a few years now since the upheaval.

How do you feel about the greater opportunity for your team, within conference play, vis a vie the BE's fall from elite status plus losing so many good teams/players from your regular schedule?

I don't know how good a person I am to ask about this as it doesn't feel like Marquette was in the Big East for very long before the big split happened. Truthfully I think it has been good for Marquette as it has given them a chance to compete for the conference. There's no way they win a BE conference tourney title last year if UCONN or Notre Dame is still in their league. And they certainly wouldn't be competing for a regular season title this season either in the old Big East.

I really don't miss seeing UCONN come kill Marquette regularly.

Yes this Big East isn't as strong as the former league but still strong enough to garner a few at-large NCAA bids. So I am fine with it at this point.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 02/19/18 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Was hoping to hear from the likes of Queenie, MUfan, and other fans of Big East teams.

For a really detailed history lesson of the making of the Big East, ESPN did a 30 for 30 on it. It is strictly about men's basketball.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

For a really detailed history lesson of the making of the Big East, ESPN did a 30 for 30 on it. It is strictly about men's basketball.

The breakup of Big East basketball, men's and women's, to me, is one of the great tragedies of the fall of a sports dynasty. It really was something special. And you don't really know what it was like unless you lived it. I'm a UCONN fan, obviously, but I grew up/live in Syracuse country. There was nothing like that Syracuse/Georgetown men's rivalry in the 80's and 90's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: