RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/29/18 2:57 am    ::: New #1 Reply Reply with quote

With yesterday's win over Florida St., Notre Dame has ascended to the #1 position in the RPI. Their position at the top of the chart may be short-lived as a win over South Carolina could vault the Huskies back to #1. Nonetheless, the writing is on the wall; if ND can go undefeated they will end the year at #1.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/18 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the strength of schedule factor, but UConn still plays South Carolina and Louisville, while ND has Duke and not much else remaining. Whether ND's "not much else" still being a lot better than UConn's "not much else" is enough to keep ND ahead, I doubt it, but it's possible I suppose, especially after you factor in conference tournament games.

Probably at least as importantly in the seedings, I suspect the last week may have confirmed to the committee the flukish nature of ND's loss to Louisville, with Louisville losing to FSU at home in Louisville, and ND then blowing out FSU on the road in Tallahassee.

Assuming they win out, and maybe even if they don't, UConn is going to be the #1 overall seed. I suspect today, ND would also be on the top line along with Miss St and I'm not sure who as the fourth.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/29/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're both very good programs and very good teams having very good seasons. Barring something crazy, it sure looks like they'll both end up with 1-seeds, and will deserve them, too.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/29/18 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It's the strength of schedule factor, but UConn still plays South Carolina and Louisville, while ND has Duke and not much else remaining. Whether ND's "not much else" still being a lot better than UConn's "not much else" is enough to keep ND ahead, I doubt it, but it's possible I suppose, especially after you factor in conference tournament games.

Probably at least as importantly in the seedings, I suspect the last week may have confirmed to the committee the flukish nature of ND's loss to Louisville, with Louisville losing to FSU at home in Louisville, and ND then blowing out FSU on the road in Tallahassee.

Assuming they win out, and maybe even if they don't, UConn is going to be the #1 overall seed. I suspect today, ND would also be on the top line along with Miss St and I'm not sure who as the fourth.

Notre Dame should also get another good win or two during the ACC tournament.

That said, if UConn wins out, there is no way they aren't the overall No. 1.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/29/18 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I think this is probably true.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/29/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

If both Notre Dame and UConn win out, ND will be #1 in the RPI, but of course UConn would be the top 1-seed for the NCAA tournament. Notre Dame (30-3 before the NCAA's) was ranked first in RPI last season as well, but UConn (32-0 before the NCAA's) was the overall top seed, as they should have been. The committee said they had ND second.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/31/18 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

What you aren't factoring in is the bottom, which can be just as important as the top. You are looking at how many top teams are left on each schedule. However, you fail to realize that UConn has teams that are currently ranked #170 (Cincinnati), #149 (Wichita St.), #167 (Temple), and #219 (SMU). Meanwhile, the only opponent ND has outside the top 100 is BC (#180).

UConn has 5 teams ranked lower than ND's second worst opponent who is left (#86 UNC).

That puts ND at #1, but as pointed out, this is pretty much moot. UConn, assuming they win out, will get the overall #1 seed. The only way they won't is if they lose to either USC or Louisville and MSU wins out.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/31/18 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What you aren't factoring in is the bottom, which can be just as important as the top. You are looking at how many top teams are left on each schedule. However, you fail to realize that UConn has teams that are currently ranked #170 (Cincinnati), #149 (Wichita St.), #167 (Temple), and #219 (SMU). Meanwhile, the only opponent ND has outside the top 100 is BC (#180).

UConn has 5 teams ranked lower than ND's second worst opponent who is left (#86 UNC).

That puts ND at #1, but as pointed out, this is pretty much moot. UConn, assuming they win out, will get the overall #1 seed. The only way they won't is if they lose to either USC or Louisville and MSU wins out.

I factored it in. To what did you think the bolded portion was referring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: