RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/05/17 6:55 pm    ::: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules Reply Reply with quote

http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Major-Potential-Shift-In-NCAA-Transfer-Rules-107001121

Quote:
In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This does not look good to me. The rich getting richer. If a girl in a small collage develop her game could transfer to a P5 school and really heart her team. This could open up a lot of cheating with big schools with so much pressure to win or a coach to save there job.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like it either. I think they should have to sit out some time, but maybe only a semester.

PostPosted: 09/05/17 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine they will allow transfers in the middle of a season to become immediately available

PostPosted: 09/05/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is already a one-time transfer exception in D1 for all sports except football, basketball and baseball.

This new rule should obviously be coupled with another rule that allows the potential transferee schools to bid any amount of cash bonus money in order to induce the transfer.

These two rules will advance the ball toward the desired goals of sports oligarchy and oligopoly.
elsie

PostPosted: 09/06/17 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not sure I like this either....the rich will steal from smaller schools....Oregone comes to mind....they love stealing football qb's so I'm sure cagey Graves will have his fingers out there....

I would favor a different approach...sit out half a year.....it gives a player pause as well as the school...

we had a player that transferred in the fall during the season...sat out the rest of the year plus another FULL year....now, that's not fair....

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 09/06/17 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when i heard of this i assumed it meant immediately following the season not immeadiately during current season.

they surely can't be silly enough to allow something like a player to transfer in jan/feb and be able to play right away (at coach's discretion).

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/06/17 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rich already get richer ... competitive equity is and always has been a myth.

PostPosted: 09/06/17 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they do this, I hope they add major penalties for tampering.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
If they do this, I hope they add major penalties for tampering.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

PostPosted: 09/07/17 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think either the NCAA has to make this change, or they have to stop granting special exemptions for star athletes who play entire seasons at their previous school and then are granted a bullshit "hardship waiver" to play for their new school without having to sit out a year.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 09/07/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember the school the athlete wants to leave from and get a scholarship at the new school MUST get a signature of release, and that comes from the AD...this might leave a bad taste in an athlete's mouth if they are denied...

Also many conferences have rules about transferring within a conference and still receive a scholarship.

If an athlete transfers and does not get or want a scholarship they are eligible right away at the new school...

Transfer tie ups occur when kids will earn a scholarship at the next school...if coaches can transfer schools athletes whose coach is fired or leaves the school in which they were recruited, should also be allowed immediate eligibility...but only in those cases.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/07/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I think either the NCAA has to make this change, or they have to stop granting special exemptions for star athletes who play entire seasons at their previous school and then are granted a bullshit "hardship waiver" to play for their new school without having to sit out a year.

I completely agree. The process has become so completely arbitrary and unfair, they need to simply have a flat, no exceptions, rule.

No "school has to consent". No "list of prohibited schools". No "special in-conference penalty.". No waivers.

Really simple. Make it:

A player him-or-herself (not a coach, booster, or representative from the other school, not a parent, not a HS or AAU coach nor any other handler) may initiate contact with the head coach or an assistant coach (only) of another school about potentially transferring. If the student is serious about transferring, he or she can pick up the phone and call a coach to inquire. Nobody else can get involved.

The coach has 48 hours to either say "no" and terminate discussions, or to notify the player's current school that discussions with the school regarding a potential transfer are underway. If the answer is "no," no transfer to that school is later permitted (no playing games with notifying the current school. If you don't notify, you can't take the player). If you go forward, you don't need to eventually make an offer, but the current school has a right to know that a transfer is being considered.

No advance clearance or permission is required for that call by the player.

A player in good academic standing may transfer anywhere, any time, and receive a financial aid package immedietely. No limits can be imposed by the school or the conference.

A player must sit out from competition for one full academic year at his or her new school.

A student who has has received his or her bachelors degree at a school and has eligibility remaining may transfer one time without sitting out. Same contact, notice, and permission rules apply.

No waivers, no exceptions, no special treatment, no blocks or bans, no "pay your own way for a year."

Everybody knows the rules and they apply to everyone.

Players are protected by being able to get a scholarship and go to school wherever they want. Contact rules reduce the handler corruption factor. If the player has to make the call personally and only to a coach, it at least demonstrates that the player is personally interested and the deal isn't being brokered by others behind the player's back. The one year sit out produces some disincentive and reduces the total disruption to the competitive balance. But the player still gets a free education and can practice and work out in the interim.

I think this would be fair and workable.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/07/17 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one change I would make to ArtBest23's proposal is this. For this provision...

Quote:
The coach has 48 hours to either say "no" and terminate discussions, or to notify the player's current school that discussions with the school regarding a potential transfer are underway. If the answer is "no," no transfer to that school is later permitted

If the school changes head coaches, then the player may contact the new coaching staff and start the process over again.

PostPosted: 09/07/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The one change I would make to ArtBest23's proposal is this. For this provision...

Quote:
The coach has 48 hours to either say "no" and terminate discussions, or to notify the player's current school that discussions with the school regarding a potential transfer are underway. If the answer is "no," no transfer to that school is later permitted

If the school changes head coaches, then the player may contact the new coaching staff and start the process over again.

That's fair. Sounds right.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 09/07/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will this mean, as Jerry Seinfeld said, we will now more than ever before be rooting for laundry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: