RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which school has the most & fewest 1,000 point club?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Michigan has 26. Thome should be there in the post-season, becoming just the third sophomore to do it at U-M (Flaherty was the 2nd).

Thome made it in her last game. Michigan now has three active - Thompson and Flaherty are the others.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lady Techsters are at 41, but have slowed down dramatically. There are four 2000 point scorers -- Pam Kelly just missed going to 3000.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Greenwell is #32 for Duke; if you count Lexi Browns points with Maryland Devils have 33

Does Duke count them?

I don't know if there is a standard practice by schools regarding including the pre-transfer numbers by transfers in career numbers in their record books. Is there a uniform practice, or does it vary by school?

What if someone had, for example, enough steals in three years at school A to be the career record holder at school B the day she set foot on campus B as a grad transfer? Would school B recognize her as their career leader in steals before she ever played a game for them? Seems like an odd result, but I'm not sure there's a good alternative. For example if Plum had decided this year to be a grad transfer to Harvard to get an MBA, should Harvard and the rest of us ignore her career scoring record just because it's split between two schools?

I don't know how this works.

I was also wondering, Lyndsay Allen is about to become the ACC career assist record holder. Fortunately all four years were played in the ACC. What if ND had still been in the BE her freshman year, and only three years were in the ACC? Would the ACC recognize her career number as its record?

Schools marking milestones for transfers will sometimes give both overall numbers and institutional numbers during special occasions. (I think St. John's did this for Danaejah Grant, though not for Kendyl Nunn, though that might be because Kendyl didn't really have any numbers to tout.) I believe, though my memory is foggy, that St. John's acknowledged both Danaejah's 1000th overall and 1000th STJ point, the latter more than the former.

In the scenario you posit with Plum, the NCAA records would count, because it's split, but it's split between two D-I schools. It would get more complicated if she changed divisions.

I can give you an example of where career record and school records run headlong into each other. At Iona, Marina Lizarazu was chasing Suzi Fregosi's all-time career assist record. Suzi finished her Iona career with 531 assists. Marina finished her Iona career with 470. But! Marina played a year at Texas Tech, where she had 76 assists, giving her an NCAA career total of 546. Those 76 assists are NOT acknowledged by Iona, and Marina finished fourth all-time.

(And, from the ACC record book:

Quote:
To qualify for conference career individual leaders, a student-athlete must have competed in the ACC for at least two seasons. If a student-athlete transferred from a non-ACC institution, only his or her records at an ACC school will be included.

Upon further review, this means that the institution had to be in the ACC at the time for the numbers to count. Tamara James is listed in the ACC record book with two seasons, 59 games, and 1292 points, but her career totals are four seasons, 118 games, and 2406 points; the Great Realignment of '05 split her career.)

PostPosted: 03/25/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Collier needs but 54 points to become the 45th Husky to reach 1000

After scoring 27 points against UCLA, Collier needs only 27 to reach 1000.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/25/17 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Greenwell is #32 for Duke; if you count Lexi Browns points with Maryland Devils have 33

Does Duke count them?

I don't know if there is a standard practice by schools regarding including the pre-transfer numbers by transfers in career numbers in their record books. Is there a uniform practice, or does it vary by school?

What if someone had, for example, enough steals in three years at school A to be the career record holder at school B the day she set foot on campus B as a grad transfer? Would school B recognize her as their career leader in steals before she ever played a game for them? Seems like an odd result, but I'm not sure there's a good alternative. For example if Plum had decided this year to be a grad transfer to Harvard to get an MBA, should Harvard and the rest of us ignore her career scoring record just because it's split between two schools?

I don't know how this works.

I was also wondering, Lyndsay Allen is about to become the ACC career assist record holder. Fortunately all four years were played in the ACC. What if ND had still been in the BE her freshman year, and only three years were in the ACC? Would the ACC recognize her career number as its record?

Schools marking milestones for transfers will sometimes give both overall numbers and institutional numbers during special occasions. (I think St. John's did this for Danaejah Grant, though not for Kendyl Nunn, though that might be because Kendyl didn't really have any numbers to tout.) I believe, though my memory is foggy, that St. John's acknowledged both Danaejah's 1000th overall and 1000th STJ point, the latter more than the former.

In the scenario you posit with Plum, the NCAA records would count, because it's split, but it's split between two D-I schools. It would get more complicated if she changed divisions.

I can give you an example of where career record and school records run headlong into each other. At Iona, Marina Lizarazu was chasing Suzi Fregosi's all-time career assist record. Suzi finished her Iona career with 531 assists. Marina finished her Iona career with 470. But! Marina played a year at Texas Tech, where she had 76 assists, giving her an NCAA career total of 546. Those 76 assists are NOT acknowledged by Iona, and Marina finished fourth all-time.

(And, from the ACC record book:

Quote:
To qualify for conference career individual leaders, a student-athlete must have competed in the ACC for at least two seasons. If a student-athlete transferred from a non-ACC institution, only his or her records at an ACC school will be included.

Upon further review, this means that the institution had to be in the ACC at the time for the numbers to count. Tamara James is listed in the ACC record book with two seasons, 59 games, and 1292 points, but her career totals are four seasons, 118 games, and 2406 points; the Great Realignment of '05 split her career.)

Thank you very much for this thorough explanation. Very informative.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/25/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

32 for South Carolina:

Aleighsa Welch was 29th
Tiffany Mitchell was 30th
Alaina Coates was 31st
A'ja Wilson is 32nd

Jr. Cuevas-Moore next in line with 722 pts coming into today's game vs Quinnipiac...

leeshajo

PostPosted: 03/27/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota State has 35 overall - 8 since moving to Div. 1 in 2008-9

Those players are:
Maria Bover
Jill Young
Jennifer Warkenthein
Jenny Sunnarborg
Ketty Cornemann
Ashley Eide

Joining this season were:
Kerry Young who ended her four years with 1,370 total points
Macy Miller who had 1114 points when she went down with a season ending knee injury this season, with two years (we hope) of eligibility left.

Also on the team who should join the 1,000 point club next season are:
Ellie Thompson who will enter her senior season with 989 points
Maddison Guebert who will enter her junior season with 844 points.

PostPosted: 03/27/17 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

27 for JMU. Precious Hall had 841 all by herself this year and a career total of 2,347.

PostPosted: 03/27/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 28 points, Napheesa Collier is the 45th UCONN player to hit 1000.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: