RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best NCAA WBB Game in history w/o Geno or Pat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 03/24/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should add something - among two greatest upsets in the tournament were:

James Madison 73, No. 1 Penn State 71
Southwest Missouri State 61, No. 1 Iowa 60

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/17 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My biased pick is Dayton-St. John's in the 2013 tournament. Yes, my team lost, but it was a brilliant game- probably one of the best I've seen in person.

I'll also agree with people who pick the '93 final, the '94 final, or the '06 final. '93 and '94 were, IMO, the first two pieces of the on-ramp that led to the WNBA.

PostPosted: 03/25/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I should add something - among two greatest upsets in the tournament were:

James Madison 73, No. 1 Penn State 71
Southwest Missouri State 61, No. 1 Iowa 60

I'd add the Harvard-Stanford game to that list of upsets as well.

UK1996

PostPosted: 03/25/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've not been watching women's basketball all that long, but the Louisville Baylor game was a big part of me becoming a fan. Antonia Slaughter just couldn't miss a shot. Shoni was electric. Jude was so composed throughout the game. Sara Hammond is from about 20 minutes from where I'm from. I think our town jumped when she hit the step back 3 over Griner.

PostPosted: 03/25/17 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
My biased pick is Dayton-St. John's in the 2013 tournament. Yes, my team lost, but it was a brilliant game- probably one of the best I've seen in person.

I'll also agree with people who pick the '93 final, the '94 final, or the '06 final. '93 and '94 were, IMO, the first two pieces of the on-ramp that led to the WNBA.

I'd say the STJ FSU 2nd round game would be up there....no team lead by more than 4 and the game went to OT...just back and forth and forth and back all day for 44 minutes that truly could have gone either way

Of course STJ played a similar game to that 2 years later but that one most definitely involved Geno so that doesn't count Wink

Any of those 90s finals are great picks and the 06 final really did set things up

PostPosted: 03/26/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Stanford - Notre Dame? Yes, today's game.

Hard to top.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/26/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1992 Div II National Championship

Delta State defeats NOrth Dakota State in Fargo, 65-63. The Statesman Ended the season 30-4, defeating the defending NC Bison. It interrupted what could have been a Bison six-pack as NDSU went on the win the title in '93, '94, '95, and '96.

ridor

PostPosted: 03/26/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ODU vs Stanford at Final Four was awesome as well.

NFL1

PostPosted: 03/26/17 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The 1993 NCAA tournament final. Sheryl Swoopes and Texas Tech beat Katie Smith and Ohio State 84-82. Swoopes was in the zone like no player I've ever seen, finishing with 47 points.

This one followed by the final shot in 1994 UNC over LaTech was the combo that made it necessary for me to be AT the final four. The 2006 shot to get MD to overtime vs. Duke was one of the most exciting.

There were also several Stanford FF games when Georgia and Stanford were at 3 in a row.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/27/17 2:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

absolutely....the games were little SW Missouri State came clear across the country to beat not only Duke, but also then Washington....magical....11,000 fans.....and not a thing to do with UConn...

Phil

PostPosted: 03/27/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
How about Stanford - Notre Dame? Yes, today's game.

Hard to top.

And yet, Miss State gave it the ol' college try Smile

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/27/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great. A few games from the 90's jump to my mind.

The 1995 Midwest Regional Final between Georgia and Colorado (played at Knapp Center in Des Moines). Colorado was led by Shelley Sheetz and Isabelle Fijalkowski and some fine role players, and Georgia was all sophomores and an electric JUCO combo guard in her first year in Athens by the name of Saudia Roundtree. I remember wanting top-seeded Colorado to win that game and go to their first Final Four, but Georgia wouldn't go away.

1995 East Regional Final between Connecticut and Virginia. This was the seminal banner year for UConn and the Huskies were on the ropes. Virginia led at halftime and had Tora Suber, Jenny Boucek, Monick Foote and Wendy Palmer playing superb basketball. Connecticut gutted it out thanks to Lobo and Rizzotti and it was a dramatic, come-from-behind win for UConn as they made their way to Minneapolis to write history.

The 1996 Midwest Regional Final between Georgia and Louisiana Tech (played at Stephen F. Austin) was an excellent, fast paced, thorough and high scoring, dramatic game. The senior version of Roundtree dropped 37 points, sealing the upset over the #1 seed Lady Techsters and think that performance earned her the Naismith that year.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/27/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
This is great. A few games from the 90's jump to my mind.

The 1995 Midwest Regional Final between Georgia and Colorado (played at Knapp Center in Des Moines). Colorado was led by Shelley Sheetz and Isabelle Fijalkowski and some fine role players, and Georgia was all sophomores and an electric JUCO combo guard in her first year in Athens by the name of Saudia Roundtree. I remember wanting top-seeded Colorado to win that game and go to their first Final Four, but Georgia wouldn't go away.

1995 East Regional Final between Connecticut and Virginia. This was the seminal banner year for UConn and the Huskies were on the ropes. Virginia led at halftime and had Tora Suber, Jenny Boucek, Monick Foote and Wendy Palmer playing superb basketball. Connecticut gutted it out thanks to Lobo and Rizzotti and it was a dramatic, come-from-behind win for UConn as they made their way to Minneapolis to write history.

The 1996 Midwest Regional Final between Georgia and Louisiana Tech (played at Stephen F. Austin) was an excellent, fast paced, thorough and high scoring, dramatic game. The senior version of Roundtree dropped 37 points, sealing the upset over the #1 seed Lady Techsters and think that performance earned her the Naismith that year.

Oops ignore Virginia/UConn - Geno was clearly part of that game. Just got carried away. Very Happy

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/30/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

🏆 March 30, 1986:
Clarissa Davis has 24 points and 14 rebounds, as @TexasWBB beats USC, 97-81, for a 34-0 record and a women's NCAA title.🤘
https://twitter.com/hornssportspast/status/847571223345119233

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: