RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be committee's #1 seeds tomorrow?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/19/17 7:18 pm    ::: Who will be committee's #1 seeds tomorrow? Reply Reply with quote

UConn, Baylor, Miss St, Notre Dame is my guess.

Assuming they're not going to move Maryland up five spots. Every other contender has lost at least once since the last top 16 was released.

Will be interesting to see who, if anyone, MD jumps. SCar? FSU? Ore St?

Where will Duke be?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/19/17 7:45 pm    ::: Re: Who will be committee's #1 seeds tomorrow? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
UConn, Baylor, Miss St, Notre Dame is my guess.

Assuming they're not going to move Maryland up five spots. Every other contender has lost at least once since the last top 16 was released.

Will be interesting to see who, if anyone, MD jumps. SCar? FSU? Ore St?

Where will Duke be?

I predict Maryland jumps Florida St & Oregon St, but Texas jumps Maryland, despite losing to Oklahoma, because of their wins at Baylor and at Florida St. The only part I have don't high confidence in is Duke, who I think could be #10 ahead of Stanford & Washington, or #12 behind the two, and which two teams likely replace NC State & DePaul after their losses today.
1. UConn
2. Baylor
3. Mississippi St
4. Notre Dame
5. South Carolina
6. Texas
7. Maryland
8. Florida St
9. Oregon St
10. Duke
11. Stanford
12. Washington
13. UCLA
14. Louisville
15. Kentucky
16. Oklahoma

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 02/20/17 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/19/17 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland keeps dropping in the RPI. Creighton moved ahead of them tonight.

Maryland is now down to 21 in the RPI ranking, and their SOS is a whopping 114.

That SOS is even worse than Harvard's. It's worse than Elon's or Green Bay's. You have to go all the way down the RPI rankings to Drake at 35 to find a team with a worse SOS. Of the twenty teams in front of Maryland in the RPI rankings, the worst SOS rank is 49 (DePaul).

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/19/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Maryland has just one single Top 25 (RPI) win on its resume. One. Over #13, Louisville. I just don't know how the committee can justify giving that team a 1-seed.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/20/17 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I see the 4 #1 seeds being UConn, Baylor, Mississippi State, and Notre Dame.

I agree on Maryland, if the RPI keeps going down at some point its hard to rationalize them being a 2 or 3 seed and instead being a 4 or 5 seed. I think they are very good, honestly top 4 in the country in my opinion. But here is the dilemma, if you seed them too low it is sort of unfair to whatever high seed they have to play in the 2nd or 3rd round because the whole point of earning a high seed is to theoretically earn an easier path. Their seeding obviously affects other teams and how do you punish them for the poor RPI while not screwing over a team that earned a high seed? For that reason I think if they are a 4 seed i'd put them with the weakest 1 seed, and if they are a 3 seed I'd pair them with the weakest two. Not sure how else it would be fair.

The only thing that to me is unfair is the reputation. Maryland is a top program so to me they are getting a ton of benefit of the doubt with seeding because if you did a blind resume test I don't think Maryland would get to host the first two rounds. Look back two years ago when Princeton was undefeated entering the tournament, they were 30-0 and #13 in RPI. I can only find an end of season SOS that factors in their games vs. #23 Green Bay and #6 Maryland in the NCAA Tournament, and that still had a SOS in the 80s. Take those two games out pre tourney and the SOS is probably mid 90s or something, still higher than Maryland. So in that case why is Maryland a 2 this year and Princeton an 8 a few years ago?

On a smaller scale the seeding of Tennessee is going to be hard. They are clearly more talented and more dangerous than the seed they will get.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Yes, I see the 4 #1 seeds being UConn, Baylor, Mississippi State, and Notre Dame.

I agree on Maryland, if the RPI keeps going down at some point its hard to rationalize them being a 2 or 3 seed and instead being a 4 or 5 seed. I think they are very good, honestly top 4 in the country in my opinion. But here is the dilemma, if you seed them too low it is sort of unfair to whatever high seed they have to play in the 2nd or 3rd round because the whole point of earning a high seed is to theoretically earn an easier path. Their seeding obviously affects other teams and how do you punish them for the poor RPI while not screwing over a team that earned a high seed? For that reason I think if they are a 4 seed i'd put them with the weakest 1 seed, and if they are a 3 seed I'd pair them with the weakest two. Not sure how else it would be fair.

The only thing that to me is unfair is the reputation. Maryland is a top program so to me they are getting a ton of benefit of the doubt with seeding because if you did a blind resume test I don't think Maryland would get to host the first two rounds. Look back two years ago when Princeton was undefeated entering the tournament, they were 30-0 and #13 in RPI. I can only find an end of season SOS that factors in their games vs. #23 Green Bay and #6 Maryland in the NCAA Tournament, and that still had a SOS in the 80s. Take those two games out pre tourney and the SOS is probably mid 90s or something, still higher than Maryland. So in that case why is Maryland a 2 this year and Princeton an 8 a few years ago?

On a smaller scale the seeding of Tennessee is going to be hard. They are clearly more talented and more dangerous than the seed they will get.

Tennessee AND NCSt both.
That's interesting about Princeton. Hadn't considered their numbers, but you are completely right.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/20/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The committee can throw shade at Maryland all they want, but at the end of the day, they are the most likely to come out as this year's NCAA champs. If that happens, the selection committee is going to look stupid.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
The committee can throw shade at Maryland all they want, but at the end of the day, they are the most likely to come out as this year's NCAA champs. If that happens, the selection committee is going to look stupid.

Did the committee look stupid in 2011 when Texas A&M won it all? I think the other teams seeded above them earned their higher seeds.

What makes you think that Maryland is so much better than all these other teams? Didn't Tulane come closer against UConn than Maryland did? What other games against top competition are you using to assess Maryland's tourney prospects? When you play very very few good teams, you can look a lot better than you really are. Wasn't Princeton undefeated a couple of years ago?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Did the committee look stupid in 2011 when Texas A&M won it all? I think the other teams seeded above them earned their higher seeds.

What makes you think that Maryland is so much better than all these other teams? Didn't Tulane come closer against UConn than Maryland did? What other games against top competition are you using to assess Maryland's tourney prospects? When you play very very few good teams, you can look a lot better than you really are. Wasn't Princeton undefeated a couple of years ago?

They came closer than every team but FSU.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Yeah, Maryland has just one single Top 25 (RPI) win on its resume. One. Over #13, Louisville. I just don't know how the committee can justify giving that team a 1-seed.

They did beat ASU.

I don't understand the dissing of Maryland. They've made the FF recently. They have AA-type players. The coach has a NC ring.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

First of all, Texas A&M would not have won if UConn were the opponent that year.

UConn was not playing at full strength against Tulane. They were at full strength against Maryland. If the Huskies didn't start the 2nd half on a huge run I'm not sure the outcome of that game would have been the same. I've seen enough of Maryland this year to understand that they are one of the top contenders for the title. Do I hope I'm wrong? Yes! I hope someone beats them and you can all come down on me the next day. And you know what? I won't mind. But maybe you can tell me... who is going to beat them?

Maryland scares me more than any other team in college basketball. I don't care who they played.

Last edited by Stonington_QB on 02/20/17 1:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

I don't understand the dissing of Maryland. They've made the FF recently. They have AA-type players. The coach has a NC ring.

Arizona just beat ASU...................and so did USC/west coast a few weeks ago.
Neither will make the dance without winning 4 games in the Pac12 tournament.

The other things listed, making the FF recently, have AA type players and the coach has a NC ring are never considered.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

It's easy.

Play someone and prove you deserve it.

Maryland chose not to earn respect. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

First of all, Texas A&M would not have won if UConn were the opponent that year.

UConn was not playing at full strength against Tulane. They were at full strength against Maryland. If the Huskies didn't start the 2nd half on a huge run I'm not sure the outcome of that game would have been the same. I've seen enough of Maryland this year to understand that they are one of the top contenders for the title. Do I hope I'm wrong? Yes! I hope someone beats them and you can all come down on me the next day. And you know what? I won't mind. But maybe you can tell me... who is going to beat them?

Maryland scares me more than any other team in college basketball. I don't care who they played.

Seeding has to consider accomplishments, otherwise why play the regular season? Tennessee hasn't done much but on pure talent they would be rated higher even though they have bad losses.

The committee does not look bad if low ranked teams make it far. Washington made it to the Final 4 last year, did the committee screw up? You can't look at results after the fact and then say the seeding was poorly done because there are always upsets.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland does not have any bad losses. A narrow defeat to the top ranked team is their only blemish. In fact their schedule looks a lot like UConn's schedule did the last couple years (before this year)... filled with cupcakes. Maryland is not Tennessee. Maryland would crush them and anyone else that stands in their way, except for a small handful of teams. A SMALL handful.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Maryland does not have any bad losses. A narrow defeat to the top ranked team is their only blemish. In fact their schedule looks a lot like UConn's schedule did the last couple years (before this year)... filled with cupcakes. Maryland is not Tennessee. Maryland would crush them and anyone else that stands in their way, except for a small handful of teams. A SMALL handful.

No bad losses but what about teams that have many more good wins? You are speaking on hypothetical, this team would beat that team. The whole point of the RPI is to look at who you play, how well they do, and how well their opponents do.

If you give them a top seed you are sending a message that you should never schedule tough in the non conference. Again, do a blind resume test of Maryland and any other team in contention a 1-4 seed and the right to host first and second round games. Strength of Schedule, top 25 or top 50 wins, there are a lot of things to look at than playing one team close.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

No bad losses but what about teams that have many more good wins? You are speaking on hypothetical, this team would beat that team. The whole point of the RPI is to look at who you play, how well they do, and how well their opponents do.

If you give them a top seed you are sending a message that you should never schedule tough in the non conference. Again, do a blind resume test of Maryland and any other team in contention a 1-4 seed and the right to host first and second round games. Strength of Schedule, top 25 or top 50 wins, there are a lot of things to look at than playing one team close.

Yeah, if SOS doesn't count, where do you seed Bucknell or New Hampshire? Three? Four?
If it's just wins and losses, regardless of opponent, then they deserve it.

Or is the committee just supposed to guess and say " well we think this is supposed to be a good team and they have a lot of good HS recruits, so let's make them a one seed even though they haven't beaten anybody with a pulse.". How is that fair to teams that have played and beaten top teams?

They always say good wins matter more than losses because it shows you can win games in the tournament. Well, Maryland hasn't shown anything.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/20/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

How do you know that UConn would have beat Texas A&M in 2011? The Aggies beat Notre Dame (who eliminated UConn) and Baylor (who lost to UConn by 1 at Gampel). There is no way you can assume that UConn would have won.

Are you really blaming the close game against Tulane on Kia Nurse being unavailable? Did you also discount UConn's win over FSU because Romero was out? I think Romero is more important to FSU than Nurse is to UConn.

Maryland may scare you more than other team in basketball, but it's easy to look dominant when you don't play that many tough teams. UConn's schedule has never been that weak in the past 2 decades (at least).

linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

Too many worship at the altar of RPI and goddess SOS. Yeah, Maryland keeps winning and their RPI falls. That says more about RPI than it does against Maryland, who is just playing their conference schedule like everyone else. Those who point to their admittedly weak schedule turn a blind eye to Miss St's resume. Sure, they played a lot of top 50 teams, but their OOC included exactly one current top 25 team and their entire schedule includes 2 top 20 teams, one of which they lost. The main difference between the two teams RPI rankings is their conferences.

One can argue whether RPI reigns supreme or whether other algorithms might be better but one thing is clear, there is a discrepancy between RPI and the other commonly quoted rankings. I'm no fan of the AP or Coaches polls. But they have some validity as eyeball opinions. I am a fan of Massey. These 4 rankings, along with RPI are used almost exclusively by posters.

Maryland's rank:
RPI - 20
AP - 2
USA - 2
Massey - 4
Sagarin - 5

I needn't go into the oft-discussed flaws of RPI but it's obvious that the RPI's rating of Maryland is the outlier. And at least in this thread the only metric mentioned when it comes to Maryland is the outlier.
I'm not saying that Maryland "deserves" a one seed. But to suggest that their weak OOC should be "punished" is antithetical to what seeding is intended to do.

But the NCAA committee, despite their claim of using many metrics in their seedings, also prays at the altar of the RPI and will never give Maryland a one seed, even if they win out by an average of 30 points and all the other 1 seed candidates add losses. My only hope is that Maryland goes somewhere other than Bridgeport. I would love to see them in Miss St's region.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

Too many worship at the altar of RPI and goddess SOS. Yeah, Maryland keeps winning and their RPI falls. That says more about RPI than it does against Maryland, who is just playing their conference schedule like everyone else. Those who point to their admittedly weak schedule turn a blind eye to Miss St's resume. Sure, they played a lot of top 50 teams, but their OOC included exactly one current top 25 team and their entire schedule includes 2 top 20 teams, one of which they lost. The main difference between the two teams RPI rankings is their conferences.

I disagree that the main difference between Mississippi St. and Maryland's schedule is their conference.

Maryland's OOC RPI is 55th and the OOC SOS is 193rd.

Miss. St.'s OOC RPI is 4th and the OOC SOS is 51st.

That's a pretty big difference. Maryland played an inexcusably weak OOC.

Factoring in the conference games, Maryland's RPI climbs to 21st and their SOS to 114th.

Factoring in the conference games, Miss. St.'s RPI climbs to 3rd and their SOS to 27th.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

I disagree that the main difference between Mississippi St. and Maryland's schedule is their conference.

Factoring in the conference games, Maryland's RPI climbs to 21st and their SOS to 114th.

Factoring in the conference games, Miss. St.'s RPI climbs to 3rd and their SOS to 27th.

So you defend the RPI by quoting RPI ratings? That's like saying that the bible is the word of god by quoting the bible.

So, putting MD aside, do you think that an OOC rating of 55th is deserving of a "reward" of a one seed? All MSSt did was to schedule higher rated cupcakes, but still cupcakes. Besides, my argument is that the RPI is flawed. How about you tell me why there is such a huge difference between the RPI rating and both Massey and Sagarin? And try finding another metric to support the RPI other than it's sister SOS. Massey has MSSt with an SOS of 17 vs 39 for MD. Not nearly the gap that the NCAA's system comes up with.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

So you defend the RPI by quoting RPI ratings? That's like saying that the bible is the word of god by quoting the bible.

So, putting MD aside, do you think that an OOC rating of 55th is deserving of a "reward" of a one seed? All MSSt did was to schedule higher rated cupcakes, but still cupcakes. Besides, my argument is that the RPI is flawed. How about you tell me why there is such a huge difference between the RPI rating and both Massey and Sagarin? And try finding another metric to support the RPI other than it's sister SOS. Massey has MSSt with an SOS of 17 vs 39 for MD. Not nearly the gap that the NCAA's system comes up with.

Yeah, we know. You loooooooove margin of victory. Well it's really easy to inflate your MOV by playing a whole bunch of pathetic non-competitive opponents. Speaking of self-fulfilling.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

How do you know that UConn would have beat Texas A&M in 2011? The Aggies beat Notre Dame (who eliminated UConn) and Baylor (who lost to UConn by 1 at Gampel). There is no way you can assume that UConn would have won.

Are you really blaming the close game against Tulane on Kia Nurse being unavailable? Did you also discount UConn's win over FSU because Romero was out? I think Romero is more important to FSU than Nurse is to UConn.

Maryland may scare you more than other team in basketball, but it's easy to look dominant when you don't play that many tough teams. UConn's schedule has never been that weak in the past 2 decades (at least).
UConn would have won by at least 30 points. You know it and I know it. That being said, Kia Nurse is MORE important to UConn than Romero is to Florida State. If she was such an asset to FSU then they would only have 1 loss on the season. They don't. They have 4 including a loss to NC State. UConn lost Nurse and almost got beat by Tulane. Had the Terps lost to someone else that would have been damaging, but looking back at their year it's been blowout city.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

They did beat ASU.

ASU is 6th in the Pac-12. There are 7 other teams in the nation who also have beaten ASU at least once.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/20/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to confess that I have a dislike for the RPI that goes beyond it's structural flaws.

It goes back to the mid to late 90's and early 2000's. Back then, UConn had an OOC schedule that included teams like Holy Cross & Sacred Heart of New Haven and when 3/4's of the the Big East didn't make the tournament. And fans of the SEC would mock UConn's "cupcake schedule". Of course every time UConn would face an SEC team in a championship game UConn would win, but the next year the same people would drag out the RPI to support their opinion that UConn played a cupcake schedule. Hell, even in 2013, when the Big East had their last hurrah and put 3 teams into the final four I read endless posts about how all that mattered was how many teams a conference put into the tournament.

I read the same sorts of posts now about Maryland. I have no attachment to the team but I've watched them play several times and would pick them in an even bet on a neutral court over practically every one seed candidate in the country. And if Miss St were to play the same teams I would bet against them every time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: