RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The ACC is getting very interesting.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/03/17 12:13 am    ::: The ACC is getting very interesting. Reply Reply with quote

Even more competitive than the PAC this year.

At the top, ND and FSU have gotten a little breathing room at 9-1 and have a two game lead on the field ( they play each other the final game of the regular season).

But then Duke, Louisville, NCSt and Syracuse are all 7-3, and Miami is 6-4. So there are 7 teams still fighting for four double byes. FSU still plays Miami, ND plays Cuse and Louisville, Duke plays Syr and Miami ( and at UNC). NCSt is done playing top teams and has the easiest home stretch.

FSU also still has an OOC game against Texas in ten days.

Going to be a fun month.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 02/03/17 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame has home court in that finale, but Florida State strikes me as the better team so far this season. FSU is probably somewhat undervalued. Not sure many programs do a better job of being resourceful when it comes to assembling a roster from different sources- transfers, internationals, plus recruits. Semrau has made it work and has probably "max'd out" what is realistically expectable for the program.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida State is emerging as the top ACC team. Notre Dame have peaked already. Nowadays they are barely getting by unranked teams, and star players want to leave early.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/17/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU lost to Virginia last night

PostPosted: 02/17/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

And not by just a point or two either. It was a decent beatdown. Of course FSU was without Shakayla Thomas for the last part of the game, but that points out a weakness and lack of depth.

PostPosted: 02/18/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Florida State is emerging as the top ACC team. Notre Dame have peaked already. Nowadays they are barely getting by unranked teams, and star players want to leave early.

Wait a minute, are you calling Taya Reimer a star at Notre Dame? Or are you referring to Jewell Loyd leaving with a year of eligibility left? Didn't Morgan Tuck leave with a year of eligibility left? And didn't a lot of other UConn players leave with lots of eligibility left over the past 3 or 4 years?

You may be writing Notre Dame's obit a little early, or were you just trolling? I think I know the answer to that.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/18/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Great point. He anointed Florida State as the top ACC team while criticizing the Irish for barely getting by unranked teams, the afternoon AFTER the Seminoles lost to unranked Virginia.

Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 02/20/17 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/19/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After today's ND-Syracuse game, all I can say is "Whew!"

Syracuse had a record home crowd and played very well in response to that crowd. It took ND quite a while to adjust and come back, and even then it came down to the wire.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 02/20/17 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Wait a minute, are you calling Taya Reimer a star at Notre Dame? Or are you referring to Jewell Loyd leaving with a year of eligibility left? Didn't Morgan Tuck leave with a year of eligibility left? And didn't a lot of other UConn players leave with lots of eligibility left over the past 3 or 4 years?

You may be writing Notre Dame's obit a little early, or were you just trolling? I think I know the answer to that.

I think you got your answer after last night's game, which should have been a blowout. And why would you expect Morgan Tuck to stick around after she already graduated from college? Would YOU stick around campus for another year and not get paid for a living? I don't think so. Who are these other UConn phenoms who transferred with "lots of eligibility" left over the past 3-4 years? Courtney Ekmark? You are the one trolling.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I think you got your answer after last night's game, which should have been a blowout. And why would you expect Morgan Tuck to stick around after she already graduated from college? Would YOU stick around campus for another year and not get paid for a living? I don't think so. Who are these other UConn phenoms who transferred with "lots of eligibility" left over the past 3-4 years? Courtney Ekmark? You are the one trolling.

Loyd left because she knew she'd be the first pick in the draft. She got paid more than Tuck, so if you're using that rationale, it doesn't work.

Edwards is doing very well at USC. The jury is still out on Boykin. Walker had a very nice career at Kentucky, and Johnson was the star for Wisconsin. Delle Donne also had a very nice career at Delaware.

Syracuse was undefeated at home before yesterday, and Massey only had ND winning by 5.5, and they won by 5. Seems like they played about as well as they were predicted to play. And Massey has ND ranked 5th, well ahead of FSU (12th), your pick for best in the ACC. (And FSU has not played a game since you made your pronouncement, so you had all the information available when you made your statement.) Massey also has ND as a 5.5 favorite against FSU in a week. Are you sure that you're not biased against ND?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Loyd left because she knew she'd be the first pick in the draft. She got paid more than Tuck, so if you're using that rationale, it doesn't work.

Edwards is doing very well at USC. The jury is still out on Boykin. Walker had a very nice career at Kentucky, and Johnson was the star for Wisconsin. Delle Donne also had a very nice career at Delaware.

Syracuse was undefeated at home before yesterday, and Massey only had ND winning by 5.5, and they won by 5. Seems like they played about as well as they were predicted to play. And Massey has ND ranked 5th, well ahead of FSU (12th), your pick for best in the ACC. (And FSU has not played a game since you made your pronouncement, so you had all the information available when you made your statement.) Massey also has ND as a 5.5 favorite against FSU in a week. Are you sure that you're not biased against ND?

I guess Tuck should have desired to win 5 straight NCs. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How so? If Tuck played for free this year she would have made twice as much next year? Is that your rationale? I'm sure being picked #1 in the draft was PART of the reason Loyd left. Morgan Tuck graduated college. Jewell Loyd did NOT. You don't stick around school after you graduate. There is no point.

I'm not sure why we're making this about UConn. But I'll bite...

OK, Sadie Edwards... wasn't going to get a lot of playing time. Ditto with Boykin. Johnson, Walker and Delle Donne were all WELL over 3-4 years ago.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/20/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

And Lauren Engeln became a starter at BC and Brianna Banks played her senior year at Penn State . . . but the more interesting question is how did an ACC thread become about UConn?

I think trolling is the obvious answer.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/20/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because isn't EVERYTHING about UConn? /s
Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 02/21/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame 13-1 25-3
    Florida State 12-2 24-4
    Duke 12-3 24-4
    Louisville 10-4 23-6
    NC State 10-4 20-7
    Syracuse 9-5 18-9
    Miami 8-6 19-7
    Virginia 7-7 18-9
    Wake Forest 6-8 15-12
    Georgia Tech 4-10 15-12
    Pittsburgh 4-10 13-14
    Virginia Tech 3-11 16-11
    North Carolina 3-11 14-13
    Clemson 3-12 14-14
    Boston College 2-12 9-18

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/21/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame-FSU will decide the league winner, assuming FSU gets by Clemson and ND gets by BC (both seem very likely).

If Duke wins against UNC, it has the third seed locked up.

Louisville and NC State each has a game against UVA this week.

If Syracuse and Miami win out, that will give the ACC seven teams with double digit wins - an incredibly impressive feat, considering that teams play only 16 conference games.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/21/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Twisted Evil

As usual it wasn't a UConn fan who dragged UConn into the discussion. It seems like any time a UConn fan expresses an opinion about another team that is in the least bit unflattering, the response involves UConn.

As in this exchange:

Quote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

To which Artichoke replied:

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/21/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Twisted Evil

As usual it wasn't a UConn fan who dragged UConn into the discussion. It seems like any time a UConn fan expresses an opinion about another team that is in the least bit unflattering, the response involves UConn.

As in this exchange:

Quote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

OK, Linkster. I felt that Stonington was trolling. Here is the definition: "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

If you are aware of his posts on other boards (and this one) you'll see that he has a a very anti-Irish bias. Why would he post what he said if not to elicit an angry reponse? Who are the stars (note his use of the plural) that wanted to leave Notre Dame early? Taya Reimer was not welcomed back to the team after her second self-imposed leave of absence and so she left unwillingly. Jewell left early to become the first pick in the draft and get endorsements. The reason I replied with a UConn-related rebuttal was because he is clearly a UConn fan and he's denigrating a rival team for having players leave when UConn has had FAR more players leave than Notre Dame has over the past several years. Seemed like a very reasonable response to me and I was shocked that Glen considered it trolling on MY part. I was going to let it be when you dragged it back up.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/21/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me point out that it was not I who dragged UConn into this discussion,. I merely made the snarky remark. Look back further if you want to see who is responsible.

PostPosted: 02/21/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Twisted Evil

As in this exchange:

Quote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

OK, Linkster. I felt that Stonington was trolling. Here is the definition: "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them."

If you are aware of his posts on other boards (and this one) you'll see that he has a a very anti-Irish bias. Why would he post what he said if not to elicit an angry reponse? Who are the stars (note his use of the plural) that wanted to leave Notre Dame early? Taya Reimer was not welcomed back to the team after her second self-imposed leave of absence and so she left unwillingly. Jewell left early to become the first pick in the draft and get endorsements. The reason I replied with a UConn-related rebuttal was because he is clearly a UConn fan and he's denigrating a rival team for having players leave when UConn has had FAR more players leave than Notre Dame has over the past several years. Seemed like a very reasonable response to me and I was shocked that Glen considered it trolling on MY part. I was going to let it be when you dragged it back up.

He may well have been trolling. I don't deny that. But there was no reason for you to respond with a comment about UConn. And in any case, I was responding to a complaint by Summertimeblues that too many threads end up involving UConn. If you followed STB's in other boards you'd know that they like to complain that UConn fans highjack threads in order to talk only about their team. I merely pointed out that UConn fans weren't responsible for that in this case, you were. Too often, when someone comments about a team, that team's fans turn it into a us/them argument as you did.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/22/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FA, I intended to be ambiguous rather than accusatory, but think you were more piscine than piscatory . . .

. . . an alluring verbal distinction that's catchy if fishy. Feel free to cast it.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/22/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Twisted Evil

As in this exchange:

Quote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

He may well have been trolling. I don't deny that. But there was no reason for you to respond with a comment about UConn. And in any case, I was responding to a complaint by Summertimeblues that too many threads end up involving UConn. If you followed STB's in other boards you'd know that they like to complain that UConn fans highjack threads in order to talk only about their team. I merely pointed out that UConn fans weren't responsible for that in this case, you were. Too often, when someone comments about a team, that team's fans turn it into a us/them argument as you did.

Call the waaaambulance for link! Geez, you have to make it all about you and UConn fans all the time?! Which was my point. Can't take even a joke about it!

PostPosted: 02/22/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, between the troll and the pissing match, and the phony indignation, I guess my thread about the ACC race is officially screwed and dead! Sad

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/22/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rob Clough's All-ACC

Quote:
As always, I do it old-school: first, second and third teams comprised of five players each. Until the rules committee starts allowing ten players at a time on the floor, my teams will have five players apiece on them. I get it: with 15 teams in the league, it's much hard to whittle the talent down without making some hard choices, and having a ten-woman first team makes everyone feel better. That's still not a good reason to do it, however. My teams are positionless. I take into account overall stats and look at ACC stats when trying to choose players. I favor the best players on the best teams whenever possible, and good players putting up inflated stats on horrible teams get penalized accordingly. This year was really hard to do because so many good teams had so much balance, making fewer players stand out than usual.

http://dwbchalktalk.blogspot.com/2017/02/all-acc.html

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/22/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rob Clough's All-Rookie and Other Award selections

http://dwbchalktalk.blogspot.com/2017/02/all-rookie-and-other-awards.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: