RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big 12 Conference 2016-2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIG News of the week: Texas downed Baylor in an exciting, fast-paced game that did not disappoint, creating the first real shift in the top of the conference standings. OK pulled a win over WVU outta their azzes to (more-or-less) keep their lock on 3rd place.

The only other teams to not *behave* and fulfill their pre-season prognostications are TCU (not as good as-) and OK-State (better than-) predicted. With most teams facing 5 or so games left, we probably won't see any seismic meltdowns. But....it's the Big 12. Who knows?

I AM hoping for a 5 team entry into the Big Dance. Cool

PostPosted: 02/08/17 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Interestingly, this conference has been 'dominated' by a greater variety of teams than many conferences can boast; Baylor has NOT always been Top Dog. It's rather recent, actually. Oklahoma dominated for many years, Texas has had its share of seasons. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and even Colorado have won the league tourney.

True and there was a time when the Big 12 had two divisions. The South Division (TX, ATm, OU, OK-state,Baylor) populated the polls. IIRC, Nebraska of the North Division was a #1 seed one year. TCU was not a member yet as this was prior to the conference re-alignment.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/08/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Quote:
Interestingly, this conference has been 'dominated' by a greater variety of teams than many conferences can boast; Baylor has NOT always been Top Dog. It's rather recent, actually. Oklahoma dominated for many years, Texas has had its share of seasons. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and even Colorado have won the league tourney.

True and there was a time when the Big 12 had two divisions. The South Division (TX, ATm, OU, OK-state,Baylor) populated the polls. IIRC, Nebraska of the North Division was a #1 seed one year. TCU was not a member yet as this was prior to the conference re-alignment.

Yes. It doesn't even seem all that long ago, to me. Before WVU and TCU joined, Mizzou, CO, and NE all were part of The Big 12 North. Now, it seems as though the Big 12 will never have 12 again.... Confused

PostPosted: 02/18/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anddddd, they're coming down the Home Stretch. With each team facing 4 more opponents, it might seem that places #1-#4 are already determined.

IFF Texas loses to Baylor, then a tie-breaker will be implemented, I spose, (based on coaches' overall dress and style over the course of the Big 12 Season) to determine #1 seed in the Conference tourney.

Of even greater importance, imo, is TX's seeding for the Big Dance. They've got motivation. Oklahoma seems to be a lock for #3, barring some unexpected loss. K-State would be the next contender for that spot, but they'd have to win all 4 of their remaining games AND have OK lose all of their remaining games to take that #3 spot from OK. Probably either way is of no consequence re: conference tourney.

Those four certainly should be Dance Invitees. WV, too?

PostPosted: 02/18/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hot Night in Big 12 Land.

Oklahoma takes down TX in a 1 pt. nail-biter to hand the Longhorns their first conference loss. Iowa State beats WVU again, and K-State squeaks by TCU. Baylor handles OK-State with ease, as TX-Tech does Kansas.

Only real drama left? Will Baylor prevail to keep #1 all to itself? TX and OK have one more crack at that.

PostPosted: 02/18/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Will Baylor prevail to keep #1 all to itself?

Yes

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ahhh, yes. The final regular season games are all in the books. Now, as they approach their Conference finale, we see the standings:

Preseason Poll compared to Final Standings:
1. Baylor 1. Baylor
2. Texas 2. Texas
3. Oklahoma 3. Oklahoma
4. West Virginia 4. K-State
5. K-State 5. Iowa State
6. TCU 6. West Virginia
7. Iowa State 7. Oklahoma State
7. Texas Tech 8. Texas Tech
9. Oklahoma State 9. TCU
10. Kansas 10. Kansas

Not too radically *off* from preseason picks. Big Dance Tickets to punch? I'd say 5....maaaybe 6? I'd certainly LIKE to believe that there are at least 2 Final Four contenders; TX and Baylor should be viable for that honor. And, if I dream hard enough and make enough supplication to the basketball goddesses, I might even see my beloved Sooners go to the SS. EE?? Shocked Cool Gooooo, Big 12

PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TA-DAHHHH!

And thus, the season ends. Lowly WVU, hitting on all their cylinders ( and maybe a few borrowed ones ) defeats #2 Nationally Ranked Baylor. 77-66. Kudos to Baylor for a very dignified effort, but WVU was just SMOKIN' hot, as a team.

For me, though WVU is never a fave of mine, I am DELIGHTED beyond belief that Baylor did NOT win another title. They're awesome, and (imo) still deserve a #1 seeding, but it was nice to see an underdog break that stranglehold legacy that began with the Griner days.

On to the Dance (talk of 6 Big 12 teams, maybe?). I shall be entranced. You should be, too! Razz

PostPosted: 03/07/17 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You should probably qualify that. Baylor didn't get a tournament title, but they still got a title. Gets them a nice trophy and everything.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211503693

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: