RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Freudian roots of Diamond Derangement Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:23 am    ::: The Freudian roots of Diamond Derangement Syndrome Reply Reply with quote

The topic is not so much to debate the skills of Diamond DeShields, but to do a psychiatric analysis of why so many posters have been trashing this young lady so relentlessly since high school.

I don't recall anything quite like it, except for EDD Derangement Syndrome. But that was largely localized within the UConn fan base after after her Big Vamoose.

Today on this site, to a lesser extent, we also have Holly Derangement Syndrome and Mercedes Derangement Syndrome. See any pattern so far?

We have Joanne Derangement Syndrome, too, but that may have different psychiatric roots.

(I am, of course, ignoring UConn-Geno Derangement Syndrome, since the root causes of that perennial paranoia are well-understood and perhaps even partially valid.)

These player- and coach-specific negativity syndromes are perhaps symptomatic of a more general posting negativity that is often quite apparent throughout the basketball forums. In game threads, for example, the most common kinds of comments seem to be negative ones: dumb play, lousy shot, crappy offense, bad call, stupid coaching move, horrible refs, insufferable announcers -- on and on and negatively on.

Perhaps we all do it some of the time.

But why, Dr. Freud, why?
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/07/17 11:47 am    ::: Re: The Freudian roots of Diamond Derangement Syndrome Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The topic is not so much to debate the skills of Diamond DeShields, but to do a psychiatric analysis of why so many posters have been trashing this young lady so relentlessly since high school.

I don't recall anything quite like it, except for EDD Derangement Syndrome. But that was largely localized within the UConn fan base after after her Big Vamoose.

Today on this site, to a lesser extent, we also have Holly Derangement Syndrome and Mercedes Derangement Syndrome. See any pattern so far?

We have Joanne Derangement Syndrome, too, but that may have different psychiatric roots.

(I am, of course, ignoring UConn-Geno Derangement Syndrome, since the root causes of that perennial paranoia are well-understood and perhaps even partially valid.)

These player- and coach-specific negativity syndromes are perhaps symptomatic of a more general posting negativity that is often quite apparent throughout the basketball forums. In game threads, for example, the most common kinds of comments seem to be negative ones: dumb play, lousy shot, crappy offense, bad call, stupid coaching move, horrible refs, insufferable announcers -- on and on and negatively on.

But why, Dr. Freud, why?

Sade Wiley-Gatewood Derangement Syndrome made quite a few people around here look quite deranged.

rykhala

PostPosted: 02/07/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This negativity is not relegated to sports forums. Negative comments reign supreme on every message board and social networking site that I have visited.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/07/17 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, the problem is always when a player is touted as the best thing since sliced bread, then comes up well short of that billing, but the billing keeps going on. Diamond specifically is a tremendous athlete with tremendous potential, but her 'skill' is mediocre at best. And she is quite inconsistent, sometimes totally disappearing. But she has been better lately about that. Can she improve? Undoubtedly. Will she? Who knows.

In short I think if a player is being compared to Stewie or Maya, etc... then if the expectation is not met, we are bound to complain. If on the other hand, they are billed as very good, and are very good but not goddesses, then we can better accept that. It is human nature to like players who play above their billing, and to not approve of players who play below their billing.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/08/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree -- it's more like a reality check, I think.

Diamond DeShields is a marvelous athlete with tremendous potential, but her production has yet to match that potential. Some of us like to see production and potential before we anoint someone as the top overall pick.

And to be fair, DeShields could turn out to be a WNBA all-star and Olympian ...

PostPosted: 02/08/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The players who get criticized the most are the ones who are head cases. And a lot of people like to take shots at anyone associated with Tenn.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/08/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The players who get criticized the most are the ones who are head cases. And a lot of people like to take shots at anyone associated with Tenn.

I myself took some shots, not at DD but at the hype surrounding her, when she was at UNC. My criticsm stopped after reading her father's tweets last season. I started to wonder if her exit from UNC was instigated by her father. Anyone who is dealing with a "daddy dearest" deserves some sympathy.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/08/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I myself took some shots, not at DD but at the hype surrounding her, when she was at UNC. My criticsm stopped after reading her father's tweets last season. I started to wonder if her exit from UNC was instigated by her father. Anyone who is dealing with a "daddy dearest" deserves some sympathy.

I've taken shots too, mostly for not being a team player at times and lack of effort on defense. Are those things also instigated by a daddy dearest? I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time that a Tenn player's road has been made harder by an interfering parent.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/08/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn fans had been following DD for years, thinking she was coming to UConn. Then when she picked UNC the rationalization began. Not a team player, wanted to be the star, couldn't wait her turn at UConn, UNC just rolls the ball out and lets Diamond do what she want, on and on.

Then same thing happens when Diamond is at Tennessee. There is a portion of the fanbase that feels spurned from when she did not pick UConn and now they revel in the fact that her team is not as successful, that she is not tracking as the next Maya Moore or something.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Americans love to set someone up and knock them down. It's a national pastime.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
UConn fans had been following DD for years, thinking she was coming to UConn. Then when she picked UNC the rationalization began. Not a team player, wanted to be the star, couldn't wait her turn at UConn, UNC just rolls the ball out and lets Diamond do what she want, on and on.

Then same thing happens when Diamond is at Tennessee. There is a portion of the fanbase that feels spurned from when she did not pick UConn and now they revel in the fact that her team is not as successful, that she is not tracking as the next Maya Moore or something.

I'd guess that, somewhere in HuskyLand, you might be able to find some of this, but, seriously, none of the True Blue Fans I know fit the bill.

Your mindset might be shared by more people than people who feel the way you suspect.

Personally, I share much of FrozenLVFan's sentiment:

"I've taken shots too, mostly for not being a team player at times and lack of effort on defense. Are those things also instigated by a daddy dearest? I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time that a Tenn player's road has been made harder by an interfering parent."

It's easy to be blinded DD's incredible physical ability. Who doesn't marvel at some of the things she can do. But, the bottom line is, how does it translate to the concept and needs of team basketball?

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The replies to this thread are almost as telling as the comments themselves...

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/09/17 5:58 pm    ::: Re: The Freudian roots of Diamond Derangement Syndrome Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

But why, Dr. Freud, why?

When it comes to Coach JPM and Player DDS, let's not forget when Coach JPM failed to shake Player DDS's hand after a game and then Mr.Coach JPM blasted Player DDS (on twitter) as deserving this unsportsmanlike behavior from an opposing coach. This does give a hint of "different psychiatric roots." But, no, let's bash the fans who expect a coach to be a role model for the players. Let me be clear: we expect the coach to be a POSITIVE role model for players instead being a model for how to be vindictive towards a player who'd just burned the nets against your team.

But, yeah, let's analyze the psychiatric roots of the fans who object to this.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/09/17 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Well that was prescient. Shocked

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/17 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come the original poster didn't list the Hillary Derangement Syndrome?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/10/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

IDK, I think it's interesting to look at why certain players attract negative fan reactions. While some players become "goats" by missing winning free throws or dropping winning touchdown passes and understandably become criticized by irate fans, there are many more who become pilloried without a consistent clear-cut reason. To me, they seem to be players with a lot of hype, failure to live up to that hype even though their overall performance is average to above-average, and whose deficiencies are due to attitude/head problems or other extraneous issues like family interference. And I think the criticisms come from both their team's fans and opponent's fans.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/10/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

IDK, I think it's interesting to look at why certain players attract negative fan reactions. While some players become "goats" by missing winning free throws or dropping winning touchdown passes and understandably become criticized by irate fans, there are many more who become pilloried without a consistent clear-cut reason. To me, they seem to be players with a lot of hype, failure to live up to that hype even though their overall performance is average to above-average, and whose deficiencies are due to attitude/head problems or other extraneous issues like family interference. And I think the criticisms come from both their team's fans and opponent's fans.

And much, if not most, of the hype is not the players' doing at all, but the fault of sportswriters and Twitter-hypers who build a player into something they cannot possibly live up to. Then the kid gets out of HS and into college where they encounter not only a different level of the game, but a lot of other players who are "the greatest ever", and they might falter, or maybe they bluster a little trying to live up to what they think they're "supposed" to be...and the "fans" never cut them a break, even for a second.

Nope. They won't give the kids a break. They won't *ever* realize that they're still growing kids who make mistakes, talk out of turn, do dumb stuff on occasion, and have growing pains, just like they did when they were that age. They are supposed to spring full-grown from whatever hyperverse they were created from and be PERFECT all the time.

/rant mode off

PostPosted: 02/10/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

Yes, of course. I was just referring to the wide range of reasoning for DDS attracting so much negative attention. That's also interesting, wouldn't you agree?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/10/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Yes, of course. I was just referring to the wide range of reasoning for DDS attracting so much negative attention. That's also interesting, wouldn't you agree?

New syndrome...GFF = General Fan Furor

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/10/17 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Damn that is some paranoia shit, everyone and their dog has talked about DD as it is the biggest joke out there, she is the most underachieving pimped player ever to play the game.

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/10/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

New syndrome...GFF = General Fan Furor

Hah. I like that. Laughing

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/12/17 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a combination of a few things (for the record, while I'm far from a fan of DD, I don't think I've posted much about her).

1. She orchestrated the "Best Class ever for UNC!" This alone wouldn't have been a big deal except...

2. She then ditched all those players that she helped recruit to UNC in favor of transferring to UT. To many people, that showed a lack of character.

3. While she is talented, she hasn't exactly lived up to a high enough standard to justify this attitude. To use another example. Marciniak caused problems at ND her freshman year by reportedly being a prima donna, but FWIW, she did later kind of justify it based on her later performance at UT, not that most ND fans would want to admit that. DeShields hasn't done that so far.

It's one thing for a player to be highly hyped and act arrogant regarding that hype. However, if you are going to do that, you better live up to that hype.

She hasn't played past the Elite Eight. While for many players, an Elite Eight finish should be good, for a player as talented as she is supposed to be, surrounded by as much talent as she has been, an Elite Eight finish is not good.

For all the talk about "People hate UT" and "People just don't like her..." it really has to do with a combination of high expectations and not fulfilling them. Having a reputation for not being a "team player" also adds to this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: