RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

When do we see big conference games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 02/05/17 3:31 pm    ::: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

There are 6 top ten teams playing today (Sunday 2-5) and exactly one game had a predicted point spread of less than 15. And that one game had a final score of 92-56.

Wash (-15) Col
S Car(-20) Ark
MSSt (-19) Ms
Or St(-1Cool Az
CT (-53) Tulsa final-96-50
MD (-9) Ind final-92-56

Except for the PAC 12 the P5 conferences have very few compelling games because they are top-heavy. The SEC teams play a couple of home-away games that are either fixed like Tenn-Vandi & UNC Duke or else they rotate through the conference. What we get are a bunch of uncompetitive games like those today.

If wcbb wants to increase TV viewership they need to find a way to schedule more elite matchups. From tomorrow until the NCAA's basketball has little competition from other sports. No baseball, no football, no Nascar (for most of this month). This is when most casual viewers will put on a women's game.
If what they get are a bunch of blowouts is it any wonder they have such a low opinion of the entertainment value of wcbb?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/05/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tomorrow is pretty good

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 02/05/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tomorrow is pretty good

7:00pm #13Louis@ #8N Dame(-9)

7:00pm #18Miami@ #6Fla St(-14)

8:00pm #11Texas@ #2Baylor(-15)

9:00pm #14UCLA@ #9Stanford(-9)

I realize the difficulties involved but do these games have to be put on against each other? If Stanford's game can start at 6:00pm local time why can't the Game in S Bend also start at 6:00 and them have Miami@ Fla St at 8:00?

Let's hope Texas gives Baylor a tougher time than they did in both games last year.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/05/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Tomorrow is pretty good

Certainly is.

Texas-Baylor
Notre Dame - Louisville
FSU - Miami
UCLA - Stanford

brunie1064

PostPosted: 02/05/17 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington vs Colorado turned out to be pretty competitive. Only a four point win for the Huskies.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 02/06/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Shades wrote:
Tomorrow is pretty good

7:00pm #13Louis@ #8N Dame(-9)

7:00pm #18Miami@ #6Fla St(-14)

8:00pm #11Texas@ #2Baylor(-15)

9:00pm #14UCLA@ #9Stanford(-9)

I realize the difficulties involved but do these games have to be put on against each other? If Stanford's game can start at 6:00pm local time why can't the Game in S Bend also start at 6:00 and them have Miami@ Fla St at 8:00?

Let's hope Texas gives Baylor a tougher time than they did in both games last year.

I agree with you wholehardly! We either get a day where there are no games televised or we get Sunday(here lately) where there are many games overlaping. Really pisses me off.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/06/17 11:09 pm    ::: Re: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Except for the PAC 12 the P5 conferences have very few compelling games because they are top-heavy.

From the ACC (each game with at least one team that is currently ranked):

NC St: 70 ND 62
ND 62 Duke 58
ND 82 UVA 74
NC St: 70 FSU 61
Miami: 67 NC St: 64
NC St: 55 Duke 52
NC St: 72 Louisville: 70
Duke: 58 Louisville: 55
FSU: 72 Louisville: 65
FSU: 80 Miami 71
Syracuse: 54 UVA: 49

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/26/17 6:00 am    ::: Re: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Except for the PAC 12 the P5 conferences have very few compelling games because they are top-heavy.

Well, I'd say that this comment really falls on its face in the last few weeks:

In reverse order chronologically:

Iowa St. over Texas: 70-66
Or. St. over Stanford 50-47
Kentucky over MSU 78-75
KSU over OK 79-71
tOSU over Maryland 98-87
Miss. St. over Texas A&M 72-67 (not an upset, but a close win)
Missouri over USC 62-60
ND over Syracuse 85-80 (another close one)
OK over Texas 74-73
UCLA over UW 90-79
UVA over FSU 60-51
ND over Clemson 84-80
Stanford over Cal 72-66

Even UConn got into the act: UConn 63 Tulane 60

linkster

PostPosted: 02/26/17 2:04 pm    ::: Re: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

Kentucky over MSU 78-75
KSU over OK 79-71
tOSU over Maryland 98-87
Missouri over USC 62-60
OK over Texas 74-73
UCLA over UW 90-79
UVA over FSU 60-51
ND over Clemson 84-80
Stanford over Cal 72-66

A close score isn't exactly the same as a compelling game. Did you happen to catch the Stanford-Or St game the other night? Murphy & her sidekick tried to sell it as a defensive struggle but to me it was a display of offensive ineptitude. At one point in the second half OSU got 7 consecutive offensive rebounds before finally scoring on a Wiese basket. Yeah it was close but hardly compelling, even with the PAC 12 title at stake.

And at least half of those ND games you listed were close only because ND is a shadow of their last few years. I only point you to the choke job they pulled at Tenn. Diggins/Mallory/ etc must have been sick watching that display.

What I'm looking for are games that are won with great play, not games that are lost through bad play.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/26/17 4:42 pm    ::: Re: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

Kentucky over MSU 78-75
KSU over OK 79-71
tOSU over Maryland 98-87
Missouri over USC 62-60
OK over Texas 74-73
UCLA over UW 90-79
UVA over FSU 60-51
ND over Clemson 84-80
Stanford over Cal 72-66

A close score isn't exactly the same as a compelling game. Did you happen to catch the Stanford-Or St game the other night? Murphy & her sidekick tried to sell it as a defensive struggle but to me it was a display of offensive ineptitude. At one point in the second half OSU got 7 consecutive offensive rebounds before finally scoring on a Wiese basket. Yeah it was close but hardly compelling, even with the PAC 12 title at stake.

And at least half of those ND games you listed were close only because ND is a shadow of their last few years. I only point you to the choke job they pulled at Tenn. Diggins/Mallory/ etc must have been sick watching that display.

What I'm looking for are games that are won with great play, not games that are lost through bad play.

Seems like an overstatement. A shadow of their former selves? The past 3 seasons they were the second 1-seed twice and the 3rd 1-seed once. This year they are presently probably the 3rd 1-seed. Not that far off.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/26/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say ND is improving at just the right time.

Pending the bracket, I'd pencil in Baylor, ND, UConn, UDub for Dallas.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

It would be good publicity if Plum could get back to the final 4, but I doubt UW gets in the West region which makes this highly unlikely. And also a team with zero depth will have a tough road - it's a precarious balance when you're that short handed. I also think that a team with good bigs and at least one really good defensive guard should be able to handle them (Baylor or UConn for instance...and they've already lost once to ND). On the other hand, they do seem to be getting some help from the helpers these days and on any particular night they are practically unstoppable.

- Amanda Gorman
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/27/17 5:21 am    ::: Re: When do we see big conference games Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Translation:

"My comment was wrong, but I'm going to discount the evidence to counter it so that I can pretend I was right."

The ND-Syracuse game is an example. If you watched that game, you would have noticed that Syracuse was playing extremely well in front of a packed crowd.

I think your experience as a fan of a team that tends to blow out teams has jaded you to what a "compelling" game is. If you take an attitude of "my team only had a close game because we didn't play well" you can project that onto every game. I'm not saying that's necessarily your attitude, but your response does kind of hint at that kind of thinking.

An underdog playing well often can make it look like the good team is just playing crappy because what the underdog needs to do is stuff that disrupts the good team.

Last edited by CBiebel on 02/27/17 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/27/17 5:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

That's what I've been thinking. They're now using Turner better without just throwing the lob to her under the basket. The defense has improved a lot. They're moving around more without the ball and passing much more to get the open shots. They're rebounding much better. Boley is starting to get the hang of defense. Even their FT shooting the last couple of games has gotten better.

It's like "Holy Crap! They're finally starting to get it together! What took them so long?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: