RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 USA U18 Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 07/16/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
US wins 104-36.

Tomorrow at 8:15, the US will play for gold against the winner of tonight's Canada vs Brazil game. The US beat Brazil 80-59 in pool play earlier in the tournament and the US is playing better basketball now than they were then. I predict a big US win regardless of opponent.

Given recent history, I wasn't sure how this tournament would go. This looks like the good old days.

It will be Canada, which needed a big fourth quarter to beat Brazil 58-52. Earlier in the day, it was Mexico beating Guatemala 63-38 and Chile beating Venezuela 54-49.

Any thoughts on the Puerto Rico players? Most of them will play at least at the DII level. Oppenheimer had a rough game, but it will be a year before she heads to Syracuse. Rodriguez led them in scoring and had a few nice moments. Perez is the one who will play at Stony Brook this season. I wonder if Pagan will be able to play the 5 at the college level or if she will transition some of her game to playing the 4.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/16 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
US wins 104-36.

Tomorrow at 8:15, the US will play for gold against the winner of tonight's Canada vs Brazil game. The US beat Brazil 80-59 in pool play earlier in the tournament and the US is playing better basketball now than they were then. I predict a big US win regardless of opponent.

Given recent history, I wasn't sure how this tournament would go. This looks like the good old days.

It will be Canada, which needed a big fourth quarter to beat Brazil 58-52. Earlier in the day, it was Mexico beating Guatemala 63-38 and Chile beating Venezuela 54-49.

Any thoughts on the Puerto Rico players? Most of them will play at least at the DII level. Oppenheimer had a rough game, but it will be a year before she heads to Syracuse. Rodriguez led them in scoring and had a few nice moments. Perez is the one who will play at Stony Brook this season. I wonder if Pagan will be able to play the 5 at the college level or if she will transition some of her game to playing the 4.

For most of the game it was all Rodriguez for PR. It was hard to notice anyone else. In this game they looked completely outmatched. This was a blowout in the true sense of the word.

One disappointing thing was the matador defense by PR players near the rim. In particular the US guards Carter and Harris just drove right by them for layups while they literally just waved as they went by rather than getting their bodies between the ball handler and the basket. That's how Carter got nearly all her 17 pts.

I'd also term it a coaching problem the abject failure to respond to the fast break. At some point you have to sacrifice on offense and keep someone back on defense to slow down the ball. You can't just sit and watch while play after play the US simply throws it over your head for a layup.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The gold medal game vs Canada was really tight for a quarter. Then the US's superior talent and depth gradually asserted itself and the US led by 17 at the half. It got worse from there.

The US was quicker, bigger, stronger, deeper and more skilled, and it showed.

Final score: US 109 Canada 62

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/16 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Cox was named tournament MVP. Today's game showcased her wide-ranging skill set. She's very good and she's likely to be very succesful.

I still think she really needs to work on getting stronger and much tougher. If I'm an opposing coach, I'm going to play very physical with her because I'm not sure she'll respond well. She doesn't seem to do well scoring or rebounding when she's really contested. What she does seem to do exceptionally well (and which seems like it should be a given but most certainly isn't in WCBB) is make her uncontested shots. When they lob it into her in the paint (or she gets an offensive rebound) and there's no one pushing her or with a hand in her face, she makes the layup or three footer. That's a lot less common than it should be and with her height means she is going to score points. If she got stronger she could become more dominant.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/17/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brazil beat Puerto Rico 70-64 for the bronze. It will be interesting to see if Izabela Leite sticks around and goes the college route. Angelique Rodriguez had the best game in the loss and Giolibeth Perez chipped in a few before she heads to Stony Brook. Mexico also beat Chile 85-51 and Venezuela beat Guatemala 77-64.

Qualifying has already started for the 2018 version of the tournament with the Caribbean tournament wrapping up in Georgetown, Guyana on Saturday. The Bahamas beat Suriname for the title and the British Virgin Islands managed a 44-38 win to join them in the 2017 Centrobasket U17 tournament. They will face off with the bigger teams and some qualifiers from Central America to decide who joins the United States, Canada, and next year's South American qualifiers in trying to qualify for the 2019 U19 World Championship.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/18/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't we do this every year, then we remember that it is the fiba americas, i.e. the JV of the fiba tournaments. I am more interested to see the teams from farther afield and how they are fairing and developing. BTW I think Canada has taken a step backwards, don't think they have much coming through the pipeline after Nurse.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/18/16 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

US claims gold with a thoroughgoing thumping of Canada, 109-62. Looks like a UConn NCAA championship game score from the last 4 years....

PostPosted: 07/18/16 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Don't we do this every year, then we remember that it is the fiba americas, i.e. the JV of the fiba tournaments. I am more interested to see the teams from farther afield and how they are fairing and developing. BTW I think Canada has taken a step backwards, don't think they have much coming through the pipeline after Nurse.

I don't know if you can expect any country to consistently turn out players who can contribute to their senior team at a young age at the level of Nurse.

Canada seems to be increasing the depth of their teams. Brown and Jerome played up in age and had their moments. The younger player to look out for is Class of 2019 player Amihere.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/20/16 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Walker can't shoot. Neither can Aquira DeCosta on the U17's.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/20/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They listed Tyasha Harris as a Forward on the USA FIBA site - not sure why: she was the team's primary point player, and led the team in assists. She also was 2nd in steals, although IMO she could improve on her one-on-one defensive skills. She was 2nd on the team in overall efficiency rating, behind Cox. Looks like a promising player for us to add with Cuevas-Moore and Araion Bradshaw as options at PG....

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/31/16 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Five more teams join the field as the European Championships finished earlier today. France, Spain, Russia, Latvia, and Hungary will also make it to Italy next summer along with the hosts and the four teams from the Americas.

FIBA was pretty bad at picking players for feature images for tournaments this summer. Angela Salvadores was the picture for the U20 tournament and she got injured and was unable to play. Then they picked Maria Vadeeva for the U18 tournament and Russia held her out of the squad.

In the Division B tournament, Ireland finished ahead of both England and Scotland and had a fair shot at the semifinals before choking. All of this is in spite of barely having a basketball program not that long ago. Is it time for a unified team at all levels with Wales and Gibraltar and whoever else joining Scotland and England as a team? Of course those born on the island of Ireland should be entitled to choose just as they have freedom to hold both citizenships.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/04/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mali and Egypt will represent Africa.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/20/16 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

China, Japan, and South Korea qualify from Asia. It was actually relatively close for the last spot, although Park Ji-Su, who is still age-eligible, did not play much. Interestingly, both Division II teams won the promotion-relegation playoff so the next edition will feature two teams alongside the big three and traditional fourth team Taiwan.

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/11/16 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As expected, Australia will be the last team in the field after beating New Zealand 107-52. Highlights of the tournament included Australia beating Tahiti 125-5 with every player scoring at least as many points as the opponents in total and Australia not giving up a single point in the first half of the semifinal in a 137-8 win over New Caledonia. In fact, they gave up 11 more points in the final than they did in their other four games combined.

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/04/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I kept forgetting to post this earlier in the week. The draw for the U19 World Championship is complete:
http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2017/news/fiba-u19-women-s-basketball-world-cup-2017-groups-confirmed

For group play, we have:
A: China, Mali, United States, Italy
B: Puerto Rico, Russia, Egypt, Spain
C: Canada, Latvia, France, South Korea
D: Hungary, Australia, Japan, Americas TBA (due to suspension of Brazil's entire federation)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: