RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Tech's '82 title team revolutionized women's basketball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/13/17 1:49 pm    ::: How Tech's '82 title team revolutionized women's basketball Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2017/01/13/lady-techsters-1982/96511652/

Quote:
“We were Connecticut before Connecticut,” Barmore said.

PostPosted: 01/13/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article. I didn't follow the women's game back then.

Did anyone back then suggest that the Lady Techsters were ruining the game and "bad for women's basketball"?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/13/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article.

Our fab freshman at Michigan, Kysre Gondrezick, is a daughter of a Techster, Lisa Harvey Gondrezick. Lisa was on their last title team in 1988. I look at some of those names and realize that I didn't see them play in the college years, but I did get to see Venus Lacy and Teresa Weatherspoon play in the early WNBA years.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/latc/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/0910-wbk-Sec6.pdf

I did see LaTech in the Final Four in Kansas City in 1998. I remember thinking that Tennessee was the juggernaut, and I was rooting for underdog LaTech in the final. I didn't know at that time that the balance of power had shifted not that much earlier.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/13/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember those days and just how much we Tennessee fans HATED Kim Mulkey Very Happy But I really grew to respect Barmore over the years.

PostPosted: 01/15/17 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 1982 NCAA Champions finally got their rings (Kim Mulkey was in Lawrence, preparing to play KU).

https://twitter.com/LATechWBB/status/820389738418991104/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

hyperetic

PostPosted: 01/15/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 1982 team was my first real exposure to high level, dominating basketball played by women. I don't remember how I got started watching but when I did, I got hooked.
ridor

PostPosted: 01/16/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love Leon Barmore. He was such a great asset to the sport. Much more than Geno Auriemma can muster, that is for sure.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/18/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article. I remember Tech was the dominant team then.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:21 pm    ::: Re: How Tech's '82 title team revolutionized women's basketb Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2017/01/13/lady-techsters-1982/96511652/

Quote:
“We were Connecticut before Connecticut,” Barmore said.

I believe it was 1979 or 1980 when I first saw the Lady Techsters play. I was in LA taking care of my grandmother and attended many UCLA games. UCLA had Denise Curry as its' star and buried in the lineup was Jackie Joyner (yes THAT Jackie Joyner-Kersey). UCLA ran over most everyone - until the Lady Techsters came to town. They made UCLA look like a middle school team. They RAN. They had flashy red, white and blue uniforms. They stole the ball and RAN. Most of the team beat any UCLA player down the court.

It was simply - WOW. Real basketball. Played by women.

Sidenote: when reserve Jackie Joyner entered a game, the first time I saw her leap well over much taller players to snag a rebound, I thought to myself "There can't be another woman who can jump that high." When I later saw her in the Olympics gathering medals, I was not surprised. Excited, but not surprised. Little more than a decade later in 1994, I saw Marion Jones play for UNC and, well, you can guess what I said to myself. And, yes, she was the fastest woman on the planet.

~rAf
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Great article. I didn't follow the women's game back then.

Did anyone back then suggest that the Lady Techsters were ruining the game and "bad for women's basketball"?

No, but the dominance wasn't nearly as long. If Cheryl Miller had gone to Tech (her 2nd choice and she later said she wished she had), Tech would likely have won 6 straight titles -- and then people would have said it.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/18/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing I remember about the Old Dominion loss -- in the games just before it, the Techsters had gotten really tight. It was like the win streak was weighing heavily on them. After the loss, they really never looked back. Although the loss was disappointing (especially since it was ODU), most fans thought it ended up being a blessing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: