RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlantic Coast Conference 2016-2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/23/16 1:35 pm    ::: Atlantic Coast Conference 2016-2017 Reply Reply with quote

I wanted a place to post this article about Virginia Tech, and this thread hadn't been started for some reason.

Under new basketball coach, Virginia Tech women off to undefeated start

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/acc/article_469b512a-9dcd-5a03-89f9-c242188245af.html?mode=jqm

Quote:
“He was very successful at JMU,” said Magarity. “I think his style and his system definitely worked there. He’s such an unbelievable coach. We just wanted to bring his style to our play.”

That is what Brooks, who won more than 75 percent of his games in 14 seasons at JMU, leading the Dukes to six NCAA tournament appearances, demanded of his new team.

Unlike some first-year coaches, who attempt to blend what their new team did schematically the year before into the style he’d eventually like them to play, Brooks wanted an immediate change.

“Very selfishly, I made them conform to what I wanted to do,” said Brooks. “But very quickly, I found out they were able and they were capable of doing so.”

Quote:
Tech, the ACC’s only undefeated team heading toward the holidays, is averaging 76.3 points and has won its games by an average margin of 18.7 points. And it’s done it Brooks’ way.

Four of the Hokies’ five starters average in double figures, led by Chanette Hicks’ 17 points per game. The starter who doesn’t, Hill, is just under that benchmark, at 9.4.

I'm on Hicks Watch!

Quote:
Still, there are things to tighten.

Tech, which is No. 23 in The Associated Press poll, ranks ninth in the league in field goal percentage, hitting 43.4 percent of its shots. But overall, the Hokies have been sharp adapting to Brooks’ style, committing the fewest turnovers in the league so far with 145 in 12 games.

Quote:
Now, Tech plays one final nonconference tuneup, hosting Delaware State on Dec. 30 with the chance to open 13-0. That would be the program’s second best start of all-time, behind only the 18-0 run to open the 1998-99 season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 01/13/17 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Peterson Shatters Scoring Record in Win

http://www.cuse.com/news/2017/1/12/womens-basketball-peterson-shatters-scoring-record-in-win.aspx

Quote:
Senior guard Alexis Peterson notched a school-record 45 points as No. 24 Syracuse overcame a 13-point deficit to defeat No. 23/22 NC State, 85-75, on Thursday night in the Carrier Dome.

Quote:
Peterson notched a Carrier Dome record, for men or women, 45 points against NC State. It also marked the fourth-highest scoring total by any NCAA Division I player this season. Peterson set a Syracuse single-game record with 17 free throws made, as well.

The senior guard moves into fifth place on the Orange all-time scoring list with 1,638 career points. She is just three points shy of passing Brianna Butler for fourth place on the SU all-time scoring list.

Peterson and redshirt senior guard Brittney Sykes combined for 62 points on the night. Coming into the game, the two averaged a combined 41.8 points a game, the nation's top-scoring backcourt.

I would think Plum/Romeo would be the nation's top-scoring backcourt. Can anybody confirm?

pwhite66

PostPosted: 01/13/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the Syracuse game notes heading into Thursday'a action:

2016-17 NCAA Division I Top-Scoring Backcourts
Rk. Player (Avg.), School Combined Avg.
1. A. Peterson (22.7), B. Sykes (17.9), Syracuse 40.6
2. K. Plum (30.7), N. Romeo (9.6), Washington 40.3
3. C. Wagner (18.2), K. Bell (17.3), Minnesota 35.5
4. R. Greenwell (17.Cool, L. Brown (17.4), Duke 35.2
5. F. Fitzgerald (18.1), A. Butts (16.1), Temple 34.9

After Thursday, Peterson and Sykes are at 41.8 ppg.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/13/17 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, so close. I would think Romeo is more than capable of putting up more than 9.6 ppg, if there were enough shots going her way. I guess we'll find out next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: