RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Stanford guard Thompson transferring to Notre Dame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 01/10/17 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I was a Notre Dame fan, I'd be very glad you all are recruiting guards and getting a stop-gap player (more than serviceable) in Thompson.

I watched the first half of the Notre Dame-Miami game and wow Shocked - with Allen out, their guards struggled mightily and just looked slow and disconnected.

Gone are the days of the exciting Diggins-Loyd-McBride-Novosel-and that other girl backcourts. Those backcourts executed on offense flawlessly.

Maybe Young and the others will improve and I know Mabrey is a nice offensive player but she was not very exciting to watch. Very slow.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/10/17 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame guards:

Marina Mabrey, sophomore, USA Basketball National Team member in high school
Arike Ogunbawole, sophomore, USA Basketball National Team member in high school
Ali Patberg, sophomore, USA Basketball National Team member in high school
Jackie Young, freshman, 2016 Naismith National Player of the Year

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Notre Dame guards:

Also Lindsay Allen was a McD AA; Mychal Johnson was Two-time West Virginia Gatorade High School Player of the Year.

The reason there is a hole behind Allen at the moment is because her presumed successor, Patberg, missed all of last year with an ACL injury, and then Patberg's progress this fall was slowed by a bout of pneumonia. It appears that she still doesn't have her strength back, and has yet to take a shot other than a free throw in her career (even though she was a prodigious scorer, and was Indiana Miss Basketball, Gatorade Indiana High School Player of the Year, and a McD AA). The Miami game was the very first college game in which she has played more than simply a couple minutes of mop up duty. She did pretty well all things considered.

ND has guards, but Thompson might provide a good bridge between Allen and the 2018 class.

BTW, just as ND was pretty ugly when Allen was on the bench for an extended stretch vs Miami (and its very good, very quick backcourt), ND didn't always look so "flawless" when Diggins was out of the game during her tenure either. Most teams that have high quality point guards tend to miss having those point guards on the floor. It's not as noticeable with teams that don't have decent point guards to start with.

FYI, TFAN, since this seems signficant to you, two of the three guards who have verballed to ND for 2018 were USA Basketball team members last summer.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/10/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Most teams that have high quality point guards tend to miss having those point guards on the floor.

This must be a recent revelation for you, because just last year when Niya Johnson was out with an injury and Baylor subsequently lost that game, it didn't stop you from claiming Baylor wasn't living up to expectations just on the basis of that lost.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86778

Just learn from his mistakes. That's all he's asking.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Most teams that have high quality point guards tend to miss having those point guards on the floor.

This must be a recent revelation for you, because just last year when Niya Johnson was out with an injury and Baylor subsequently lost that game, it didn't stop you from claiming Baylor wasn't living up to expectations just on the basis of that lost.

I have no idea what you think my post says, but you're just trolling again and I'm not going to waste my time explaining why you are once again full of it.

Guess you must be bored since you stopped doing your game threads because your trolling quotient has multiplied recently. These silly efforts to try to dig up ancient supposed "gotcha" posts are especially lame, even for you.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/10/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My post makes perfect sense any way you look at it. Just because you're embarrassed to be called out and don't have an answer other than to lash out doesn't make it "trolling".

Trolling is expending so much effort putting a coach you don't like in a negative light.

Trolling is saying a player is horrible and not living up to expectations even after this player has had major foot surgery on both feet.

Those are good examples. I find the person who cries about trolling is most often the real troll. Certainly applies in this case.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 01/10/17 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I have no idea what you think my post says, but you're just trolling again and I'm not going to waste my time explaining why you are once again full of it.

Guess you must be bored since you stopped doing your game threads because your trolling quotient has multiplied recently. These silly efforts to try to dig up ancient supposed "gotcha" posts are especially lame, even for you.

Shades wrote:
My post makes perfect sense any way you look at it. Just because you're embarrassed to be called out and don't have an answer other than to lash out doesn't make it "trolling".

Trolling is expending so much effort putting a coach you don't like in a negative light.

Trolling is saying a player is horrible and not living up to expectations even after this player has had major foot surgery on both feet.

Those are good examples. I find the person who cries about trolling is most often the real troll. Certainly applies in this case.

Not that EITHER of you would care, BUT: I personally believe the both of you should have a "Come To Jesus" moment and stop all the bitterness and squabbling. Go have lunch together or something, and then find something that affords you less time to look up old posts and beat each other up. Go read books to underprivileged kids or seniors. Volunteer at your local animal shelter.

End of Public Service message. Cool

PostPosted: 01/11/17 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

FYI, TFAN, since this seems signficant to you, two of the three guards who have verballed to ND for 2018 were USA Basketball team members last summer.

It is significant to me for two reasons. One, it is a subset (12 versus 24) of the McDonald's All-American team, and two, they bring 40 or so players in and get to see them scrimmage and such, which is a benefit that someone picking the XYZ All-American first, second, third team, or the McDonalds All-American team does not have.

But I did recently develop a little concern about the Uxx teams due to the alleged under-performance of the guards on Notre Dame. USA Basketball has the same luxury (maybe not to as huge an extent) with the high school players that Auriemma has with the Olympic team. They can pick virtually any 12 out of that 40 or so and still win a gold medal. So they may pick players on how quickly they pick up plays, or how much of a goody two-shoes they are , or just players they like more personally - versus just looking at ability. So there could be some amount of Ashja Jones or old Swin Cash type picks. And Candace Parker type non-picks.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

They can pick virtually any 12 out of that 40 or so and still win a gold medal.

Your premise is false. They have not won gold in multiple recent competitions.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/11/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

What about the premise that the Notre Dame guards are under-performing with regard to high school achievements and accolades?

Who's beating them? Or should that be - who's coaching them?

Hopefully that competitor or competitors will remain competitive as they age so the Olympics WBB isn't another snoozefest.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/17 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
tfan wrote:

What about the premise that the Notre Dame guards are under-performing with regard to high school achievements and accolades?

Who's beating them? Or should that be - who's coaching them?

Hopefully that competitor or competitors will remain competitive as they age so the Olympics WBB isn't another snoozefest.

I think that premise is bogus as well, but that's simply a matter of differing opinions. The other is an objective fact, so I only addressed that.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/16/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Notre Dame guards:

Yes, I get they have big, national accolades but after watching them against NC State and Miami, their guards (esp. Mabrey and Patberg) seem real slow. Boley and Westbeld, while not traditional guards, are also slow. As a combination, and esp. when Allen went out, Notre Dame's guards looked...bad.

Young, however, looks incredibly promising.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: