RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How good is UConn's frontcourt?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/16 6:59 pm    ::: How good is UConn's frontcourt? Reply Reply with quote

There has been a lot of discussion about how UConn has lost so much from last year. And they did lose a lot to graduation. But lets compare how the front court of Collier/Williams is doing so far. Tuck missed her sophomore season so the comparison will be those 2 in their junior years.

[list=]Year Players Min FG-Att 3PT FTs Pts Reb A Stl Blk (TO)
16-17 Collier/Williams 408 87-142 6-13 25-37 205- 97-45-27-18 (29)
14-15 Stewart/Tuck 398 82-163 14-43 37-48 215- 84-33-16- 9 (31)[/list]

Not such a difference as some would have you believe. (sorry for the crappy formatting)

Now admittedly there is more than some numbers in any meaningful comparison but it kind of belies the claims of some that UConn lost most of their talent/scoring.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/06/16 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're very good! UConn's front court is good! UConn's backcourt is good! UConn is good! If there's anyone who doesn't think so, they're wrong!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll take Stewie and Tuck, thanks.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
    I'll take Stewie and Tuck, thanks.

Or Charles and Moore if we want to play fantasy.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/06/16 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantasy begins in the OP.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
    Fantasy begins in the OP.

Numbers may be an incomplete picture but "fantasy"? Come on. You are sounding like Trump, confusing fact and fantasy.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Tuck had returned this season, would she have started? If so, who would she have started over?
    linkster

PostPosted: 12/07/16 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
    If Tuck had returned this season, would she have started? If so, who would she have started over?

I don't know. Maybe Chong? Who do you think?

Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/16 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

How awkward would it have been if Tuck agreed to return, and then Geno decided to start somebody else over her? Doesn't seem like a likely scenario

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
    cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/07/16 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Yes, until her knee, for real or for convenience, became an issue.

Start over Williams.

PostPosted: 12/07/16 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
    GlennMacGrady wrote:

Start over Williams.

With Stevens getting a chance to play next year, I'm sure Williams will be moved to the bench.
    patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
    They're very good! UConn's front court is good! UConn's backcourt is good! UConn is good! If there's anyone who doesn't think so, they're wrong!

UConn: still very good!

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
    cthskzfn wrote:
    GlennMacGrady wrote:

Start over Williams.

With Stevens getting a chance to play next year, I'm sure Williams will be moved to the bench.

The fact that the single best player on the court in tonight's 1-vs-2 matchup could legitimately find herself a bench player in her senior year is just a testament to the incredible stockpile of talent that UConn has been able to amass for itself.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She would have started over Collier, that was obvious last year. Collier benefits from the passing of Williams and KLS that's why she gets easy buckets, Collier needs to improve her court vision and passing as she misses players. She is good at what she does but lots of areas to improve. I also thought Williams did a much better job on Turner. It is obvious that teams are trying to take away KLS and Williams so other players are going to benefi, lucky Geno.

They showed a great game plan in second half taking away AOs left, note to other teams who have to play them.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/16 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Counting Samuelson as a front court player, UConn has a much better front court than Notre Dame. The Irish have much better guards.

I'd say that at comparable stages of development, the UConn front court of Katie Lou Samuelson, Napheesa Collier and Gabby Willams is as good as, and maybe better than, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones and Tamika Williams.

Tuck would have started if her knee was healthy, but I can't decide whether she would have started over Williams or Collier. Forced, I'd say Collier starts with Williams being the energizer off the bench.
    Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/08/16 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points Glenn but for me Gabby Williams is better than Collier, she can actually see the floor and pass, she also gets the best interior defender of the other team just as KLS gets the best perimeter defender of the other team. Collier can make layups but she is getting those lay ups because of her teammates and the fact that the other 2 are being defended more closely. The other teams are unable to play help defense with KLS and Williams on the floor so Geno can spread them thin and run the O to make it an easy layup.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/08/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because Williams is, in your opinion, better than Collier doesn't mean she'd start in the above Tuck scenario.

It's not as simple a decision as that, imo.

PostPosted: 12/08/16 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually it is under this premise but the real question is whether Stevens will be able to play at Uconn level intensity as she did not show that type of intensity at Duke for whatever reason.

Williams is a better passer than Collier at this point, Collier tends to always look to score and she misses her team as she doesn't see the whole floor, even when someone is posting she hesitates and doesn't give them the ball, I don't think she is selfish, is she, but that doubt in her passing leads to missed opportunities. Williams has learned to make those passes which is why Collier gets easy buckets. IMO they are the same type of player, still undersized in the paint but quicker than most bigs but Williams has the edge due to her passing ability and how she sets screens.

In the LSU game their team guarded you straight up so Collier had to deal with someone just as athletic as she and she didnt have the luxury of being the third wheel where the D was keying on the other 2. She struggled in that game.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/08/16 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
    The Irish have much better guards..

They certainly have more guards. 6 of their 11 players are guards and 4 of their 5 National Team members are guards. The one player on their roster listed as a center is deep bench.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/08/16 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:

Well, that's another question: Who will start in the three front court spots next season when Samuelson, Williams and Collier all return, Azurá Stevens and Batouly Camara become eligible, and Megan Walker arrives.

Kia Nurse is not really a point guard, so I don't think Geno would simply replace Chong's spot with Stevens or Walker.

I'm not so sure about the Stevens hype. She really wasn't considered an elite prospect in high school and, while she put up good numbers at Duke, I don't recall being particularly impressed by her in the Duke games I saw. I think she and Walker would have a very hard time putting Samuelson, Williams or Collier on the bench.

If Stevens is as good as her hype, I'd personally rather see her take Nurse's spot in the starting lineup. However, that also would seem like a hard row to hoe, given Geno's iron loyalty to Nurse's big minutes.
    cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/09/16 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
    Actually it is under this premise but the real question is whether Stevens will be able to play at Uconn level intensity as she did not show that type of intensity at Duke for whatever reason.

Williams is a better passer than Collier at this point, Collier tends to always look to score and she misses her team as she doesn't see the whole floor, even when someone is posting she hesitates and doesn't give them the ball, I don't think she is selfish, is she, but that doubt in her passing leads to missed opportunities. Williams has learned to make those passes which is why Collier gets easy buckets. IMO they are the same type of player, still undersized in the paint but quicker than most bigs but Williams has the edge due to her passing ability and how she sets screens.

In the LSU game their team guarded you straight up so Collier had to deal with someone just as athletic as she and she didnt have the luxury of being the third wheel where the D was keying on the other 2. She struggled in that game.

No, it isn't as simple as that. Even if Williams is better than Collier, it doesn't mean Geno automatically starts her. Wink

PostPosted: 12/09/16 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you imagine that? UConn is already super good with a tight rotation. Next year they'll have athletes who can come in and play. My fellow UConn fans..could next year be the deepest Huskies team since 2001 pre-injuries? We're looking at 9 possibly 10 players who could play 20+ minutes next season. Also, players go to UConn with one goal in mind..if they wanted all the PT or stats, they'd have stayed put or went elsewhere.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/09/16 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, this thread has drifted off topic and it's my thread. Who starts next year is a great topic but better suited to the long boring off-season.

If you don't want to talk about this year's front court then post elsewhere. Thanks.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/09/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
    Nixtreefan wrote:

No, it isn't as simple as that. Even if Williams is better than Collier, it doesn't mean Geno automatically starts her. Wink

Well he did in the National Final after KLS injury Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/11/16 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
    My fellow UConn fans..could next year be the deepest Huskies team since 2001 pre-injuries?

You mean the team that lost to ND 92-76? Wink

Before others suggest I'm bringing up "ancient history" keep in mind that I didn't start mentioning the year. I was just pointing out a fact. It seems quite a few UConn fans forget that the first ND win was against a healthy UConn squad. And that was with a ND team that only went 6-7 players deep, had only 1 top 10 player (Ratay) and only one other top 25 player (Joyce). The center (Riley) wasn't a top 50 recruit. I haven't even seen a recruiting ranking for the PG (Ivey). I think the PF (Siemon) was around the 70s as a recruit.

Oh, and in that game Riley was recovering from a sore ankle from an injury against Va Tech a few days before and Siemon had a broken finger on her shooting hand that she played with using a dental cast setup.

Now ND has 8 McDonald's AAs.

Yeah, they didn't play that well against UConn a few days ago, but I guess this year's team is still a work in progress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2  Next
    Page 1 of 2

Jump to: