RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke to retire Elizabeth Williams' jersey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:48 am    ::: Duke to retire Elizabeth Williams' jersey Reply Reply with quote

The Duke women’s basketball program will retire Elizabeth Williams’ No. 1 jersey at halftime of the Blue Devils’ Dec. 29 contest against Kentucky at 7 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Quote:
Williams will become just the third player in Duke women’s basketball history to have her jersey retired, joining Alana Beard (#20) and Lindsey Harding (#10).

Williams completed a storied career at Duke in 2015, graduating as a four-time All-America selection. She was the first player from the ACC and only the eighth player in the NCAA to garner All-America distinction from the Associated Press in each of her four years. Williams was also the first player in ACC history to total over 1,900 points, 1,000 rebounds and 400 blocks for her career.

During her four seasons, Williams averaged 14.4 points, 7.9 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game over 136 contests. She was named to the All-ACC first team for four straight years, becoming only the second player in the ACC to accomplish the feat. The Virginia Beach, Va., native was also a four-time pick for the ACC Defensive Player of the Year and the 2015 National Defensive Player of the Year.

An imposing presence in the paint, Williams rounded out her collegiate career ranked ninth in the NCAA and second at Duke and in the ACC in blocks (426). She also graduated ranked fourth all-time in program history in points (1,955) and second in rebounds (1,078).

http://duke.247sports.com/tu/MTkzNDIyOHRpbnkyNDc=

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 12/06/16 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Rob Clough (several years ago), in a discussion of whether Duke should retire Georgia Schweitzer's jersey:

Quote:
The question of what factors go into determining how a number is retired at Duke used to be delightfully vague--and in our opinion, appropriately so. Unfortunately, when the question of Georgia's jersey being retired arose, the administration presented the new criterion that for a player to be so honored that they must win a national player of the year award. This rule was communicated to the public when President Brodhead spoke at JJ Redick's jersey retirement -he noted that in order for a jersey to be retired, a player must win national player of the year and must graduate. Prior to that moment, there had been no officially issued criteria for what was explicitly required for a jersey to be retired. Indeed, if these current criteria were to be applied now, retroactively, then the jerseys of Bobby Hurley and Jeff Mullins would have to come down. Moreover, if they hadn't added in a "or win national defensive player of the year" kicker, we'd have to take down the jerseys of Shelden Williams & Grant Hill as well.

http://www.dwhoops.com/g_schweitzer.php

Williams won 2015 National Defensive Player of the Year. She also made the 2015 WBCA All-America team.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kind of strange timing given her letter and McCallie's review in the offseason. I wonder if JPM will give any of her usual comments to the press Laughing

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazing how much she improved once she left Duke. /s

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Kind of strange timing given her letter and McCallie's review in the offseason. I wonder if JPM will give any of her usual comments to the press Laughing

Maybe this is an olive branch? Maybe this was suggested when the Duke administration discussed the ways that Coach P could make amends after their review?

But, no, I doubt she will throw anyone under the bus. Laughing

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 12/07/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good college player. My initial thought is that there are other former Dukies that were better.

goforit77

PostPosted: 12/07/16 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another angle...Season ticket holders have left by the droves...This is a way to get them back in Cameron(at least for one game-because we will come for this)...and IF they happen to beat Kentucky maybe some will come back...If not for JPM then for the team

awhom111

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Good college player. My initial thought is that there are other former Dukies that were better.

We have retirement criteria and she meets them so she gets her number retired. If Kevin White and company did not retire it, it would open them up to criticism about other players, which is why we have the criteria in the first place.

Personally, I have three other numbers that I would consider more retirement worthy than Elizabeth (who would probably be next on my list) and Lindsey Harding. I believe Rob Clough and Orin Day lobbied the new administration to retire some of them, but they did not overrule the Alleva administration.

Hopefully this is the start of Kevin White honoring some numbers in sports other than basketball now that we have gotten this one out of the way. Men's Lacrosse has de facto, but not officially, retired numbers of players that meet the criteria. It is an absolute travesty to not have a permanent honor for Katie Chrest.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/08/16 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At Duke, NPOY award winners and First Team All-American honors are what is required.

Of the candidates who have not had jerseys retired - Georgia Schweitzer, Chris Moreland, and Monique Currie - Currie has the strongest case.

Based on the criteria, Currie is more deserving of the jersey retirement than Elizabeth Williams.

And yes, Williams sent the letter to the Duke administration that led to the investigation of McCallie. Duke retained McCallie after the investigation. And now Williams' jersey is being retired...

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/09/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Give me some Currie for dinner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: