RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Congrats to UConn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/07/16 9:06 pm    ::: Congrats to UConn Reply Reply with quote

They've recovered faster than I thought they would.

Actually, I was a bit shocked looking at the stats. There was really 0nly one game where UConn completely dominated the game.

Rebounding was close (UConn 35, ND 32). FG shooting % they had a bit of an edge (46.4% to 42.9%). ND had 10 steals to UConn's 9. ND had 3 blocks to UConn's 2. UConn had 16 turnovers. ND had 15. ND had 19 fouls to UCOnn's 15.

The one stat that made the difference:

UConn FT: 19-20
ND FT: 4-8

linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/16 1:15 am    ::: Re: Congrats to UConn Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
They've recovered faster than I thought they would.

Actually, I was a bit shocked looking at the stats. There was really 0nly one game where UConn completely dominated the game.

Rebounding was close (UConn 35, ND 32). FG shooting % they had a bit of an edge (46.4% to 42.9%). ND had 10 steals to UConn's 9. ND had 3 blocks to UConn's 2. UConn had 16 turnovers. ND had 15. ND had 19 fouls to UCOnn's 15.

The one stat that made the difference:

UConn FT: 19-20
ND FT: 4-8

1. going into the 4th period UConn led by 7 and had made but 6-7 fts. That ND was forced to foul late is no surprise. What is a surprise is that they only took 8 themselves(& they shot 50% - shame!) What happened to those Irish drives where it was 2 ft's as often as it was a basket?

2. In any case the Irish weren't ready tonight. They have to find someone besides Westbeld to guard either Collins or Williams. Where was Boley. She has an inside and outside game?

3.The oft-maligned Nurse didn't score much but put a blanket over Mabrey the younger tonight.

4. Nice to hear that Young only had a rolled ankle instead of YKW. McGraw said she will miss the next game.

5. Notre Dame has to find a better way to get the ball inside besides the lob. It seemed they turned it over on over half their attempts.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/08/16 3:36 am    ::: Re: Congrats to UConn Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

1. going into the 4th period UConn led by 7 and had made but 6-7 fts. That ND was forced to foul late is no surprise. What is a surprise is that they only took 8 themselves(& they shot 50% - shame!) What happened to those Irish drives where it was 2 ft's as often as it was a basket?

So UConn had scored 6 off of FTs and lead by 7. And this disproves my point how? Even if you factor in ND's FTs to that point, you're only talking about 2-3 points difference entering the 4th quarter, which is just one basket which based on the FG stats, ND made up for.

For the record, I'm not suggesting that the refs called the fouls unfairly (some of their calls were questionable, but they did that evenly for both sides).

I was just pointing out that if you look at the stats, the only one that UConn clearly won was at the FT line. Why are you being so defensive about that? It's not like that is a shameful way to win the game.

Getting to the line and making FTs is an important part of the game.

I just looked at the stats and reported what they said.

If the situation was reversed (and 5-6 years ago it was), I'd say (as I did then), "Yeah, we won it at the line. We were more aggressive which got us to the line, and we hit our FTs."

FTs are an important part of the game and this game showed why. Don't be embarrassed by that.

And yes, I do think that ND wasn't being aggressive enough getting it inside, which is why they only shot 8 FTs. And missing half of them is horrible.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 12/08/16 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND missed ten 2 foot bunnies which hurt them at key times...

Turner sees to disappear at points throughout top games in her career...yes, her stats at the end are nice, but again in key moments in the first half and second half she missed easy shots, took bad shots (under the basket), and her defensive pressure lacked some...UConn post players dominated ND's...the back up post players off of the ND bench have a lot to be desired in skill, agility, and on-court game sense.

Mabry also hurt them last night by missing a lot of shots she normally makes...

Say what you want, UConn has set up a very hard non-conference schedule, where ND has not...the intensity you need in top games showed with UConn players and not with ND...

linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Say what you want, UConn has set up a very hard non-conference schedule, where ND has not...the intensity you need in top games showed with UConn players and not with ND...

Couldn't agree more. UConn's starting frontcourt players (who are 6'1" & 5'11"), have played against some of the top rated posts in the country. Turner didn't even practice till October according to McGraw last night, and hadn't faced any top posts.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/09/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you missed the part that Uconn actually switches on defense, so in actuality ND couldn't play against anyone on Uconn if thats your point, the real problem for other teams is Uconns switching D, it is extremely hard for any team to get into a flow. Jesus just think when they actually start moving the ball like last years team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: