RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 1:22 pm    ::: Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers! Reply Reply with quote

"I'm gonna say this one time, and I'm not gonna say it again during the broadcast...If you're a player, and you're watching this game, (KU 33 at Bama 32, 4:56 3rd), and you're listening, please get in the gym and work on your offensive game. I'm not talking about your game off the bounce, just...catch and shoot, free throws, 15 footers. It's on you. You have to make time to do that."

Debbie is understandably frustrated. KU is shooting 27%. Bama 28%.

You tell them, DA.

PostPosted: 12/04/16 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard this!

Great game, by the way. Now in overtime!

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/04/16 6:55 pm    ::: Re: Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers! Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

You tell them, DA.

So funny. Debbie is well known for liking offense, more offense, and then more offense. To hell with defense.

- Amanda Gorman
NationalInsider

PostPosted: 12/04/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kansas and Mama must not have paid Debbie to come "speak" to their teams or purchased an expensive package to attend one of the high priced tournaments she's affiliated with.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/04/16 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's painful to watch the girls' and women's game at all levels and witness the almost complete lack of shooting ability. Good players just want to go to the rim all the time, and bad players aren't going to make shots anyway.

A girl who can shoot is like gold right now, and Antonelli has it right: You have to put in the time, and one good way to do that would be to quit playing tournaments every weekend. Consider: If you shoot 10 times a game, that's a lot of shots, and if you play four games, that's 40 shots.

Go down to the gym and you can get 40 shots up in 15 minutes, easy, and 300 shots in a single workout. Sure, games make you better, but they don't make you a better shooter.

PostPosted: 12/05/16 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The decline in free throw shooting is maybe what bothers me most. Now someone who shoots in the 70%s is considered "good"! It wasn't all that long ago that most teams' players routinely shot in the 80s, and they'd have one or two that would be in the 90s. I remember Tennessee's Shanna Zolman having a string of something like 300 made FTs at one point.and Kellie Jolly being a sure thing when she got to the line. Now it's just a crapshoot when a player gets there.....and mostly they shoot like crap!

PostPosted: 12/05/16 3:15 pm    ::: Re: Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers! Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

You tell them, DA.

So funny. Debbie is well known for liking offense, more offense, and then more offense. To hell with defense.

It doesn't take much defense to play against most offenses. All you need are big strong players to rebound all the misses. Look at 2015/16 Miss St. One of the top defenses in the country but when they had to play an actually good offense their defense was exposed. The biggest reason the SEC is known for defense is because there is little offense in the conference.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:41 pm    ::: Re: Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers! Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
(KU 33 at Bama 32, 4:56 3rd)

That's funny. Cuz with a final score of Bama 71, KU 66, that would mean the 2 team's (respectively) scored 39 and 33 points in the final 15 minutes of the game. That's not too bad. If they'd done that in the FIRST 15 minutes of the game, they'd be Red Hot.

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:03 pm    ::: Re: Debbie Antonelli calls out women ballers! Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
(KU 33 at Bama 32, 4:56 3rd)

That's funny. Cuz with a final score of Bama 71, KU 66, that would mean the 2 team's (respectively) scored 39 and 33 points in the final 15 minutes of the game. That's not too bad. If they'd done that in the FIRST 15 minutes of the game, they'd be Red Hot.

The game went OT so those points came in the last 20 minutes. And 13 of the 24 points in OT were FT's. There were 50 ft's in the game. The teams each shot 31% (46-149) on fg's for the game. 31 ORB's and 113 total rebounds.

103 missed shots. And people want to know why wcbb is dissed?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/06/16 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
The decline in free throw shooting is maybe what bothers me most. Now someone who shoots in the 70%s is considered "good"! It wasn't all that long ago that most teams' players routinely shot in the 80s, and they'd have one or two that would be in the 90s. I remember Tennessee's Shanna Zolman having a string of something like 300 made FTs at one point.and Kellie Jolly being a sure thing when she got to the line. Now it's just a crapshoot when a player gets there.....and mostly they shoot like crap!

amen. It especially drives me crazy when really good 3pt shooters can't make their FTs. It makes no sense and is clearly a lack of repetition, focus, emphasis... I see kids walk up to the line, looking over to the bench and around and chatting with teammates, then throwing the ball up without hardly even looking at the basket. In my day [granted it was a century ago] we ended every practice shooting FTs and if you missed, then everyone had to run suicides - definitely a way to become unpopular with your teammates if you couldn't make those "FREE" throws.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 12/06/16 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Perhaps the problem lies in your memory. The national average has never been 70% or higher. It peaked at 69.33 in 2013-14. The D-I record for consecutive FTs made is 70, set by Lauren Prochaska of Green Bay in 2010. 17 teams in D-I history have shot 80% or better on FTs, 15 of them have come since 2006-07.

The number of FTs is down. That peaked way back in 1997-98 at 22.1 per side per game. Last year it was 18.13, the third lowest number ever.

FT shooting was never a sure thing, not even for your LVs. I was there in Atlanta in 2003 when Ashley Robinson cost Tennessee a national championship with her inability to hit from the line.

PostPosted: 12/07/16 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Perhaps the problem lies in your memory. The national average has never been 70% or higher. It peaked at 69.33 in 2013-14. The D-I record for consecutive FTs made is 70, set by Lauren Prochaska of Green Bay in 2010. 17 teams in D-I history have shot 80% or better on FTs, 15 of them have come since 2006-07.

The number of FTs is down. That peaked way back in 1997-98 at 22.1 per side per game. Last year it was 18.13, the third lowest number ever.

FT shooting was never a sure thing, not even for your LVs. I was there in Atlanta in 2003 when Ashley Robinson cost Tennessee a national championship with her inability to hit from the line.

There you go again...using facts to dispute something. Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly, FTs is one of the things that won JMU its game against Rutgers. They they were 24 of 34 from the line while Rutgers was only 12 of 20. Precious Hall, sometimes *not* the best FT shooter, was 10 of 13. Logan Reynolds, who is possibly our surest shot, went 3 of 4 but they were all made when it counted. None of JMU's players were in foul trouble, while all of Rutgers' starters were.

PostPosted: 12/07/16 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Wait, did I finally after all these years catch pilight? Prochaska went to Bowling Green, not Green Bay! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: