RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ND had to have a starter on court for the entire Valpo game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/04/16 11:00 pm    ::: ND had to have a starter on court for the entire Valpo game Reply Reply with quote

Obviously not the same player, but due to the fact that two of the players on ND's 11 player roster were sick (Ali Patberg with "walking pneumonia" (She just can't catch a break) and Diamond Thompson with some undisclosed illness), ND was down to 9 players.

Since it was Valpo and 8 of those 9 players were McDonald's AAs (and the 9th is the team's most improved player of the season), the missing players weren't needed. I just really wish that Patberg would finally get healthy. She seems to be having the worst luck with all this stuff.

BTW, the players who played the fewest minutes were:

Ogunbowale: 18 minutes
Allen: 19 minutes
Turner: 19 minutes
Westbeld: 21 minutes

McGraw's been playing around with all kinds of player combinations over the last 8 games. It will be interesting to see which combinations show up the most against UConn (of course, part of that is also determined by game circumstances, like foul trouble, who's the hot shooter, etc.)

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/16 3:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You seem to be preemptively defending against a charge of running up the score when what you should be explaining is why Notre Dame scheduled this OOC game in the first place?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/16 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's an in-state team, linkster. Wasn't it not too long ago when Geno used to throw a bone to local schools during the OOC? He doesn't do it now because the AAC offers less competition than the old Big East, so he needed to beef up his OOC.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
It's an in-state team, linkster. Wasn't it not too long ago when Geno used to throw a bone to local schools during the OOC? He doesn't do it now because the AAC offers less competition than the old Big East, so he needed to beef up his OOC.

What does UConn have to do with this thread. I wasn't the one who pointed out the total mismatch. My post was simply in response to a bizarre thread started by a paranoid ND fan who was defending his team's weak OOC schedule against no one.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/05/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

What does UConn have to do with this thread. I wasn't the one who pointed out the total mismatch. My post was simply in response to a bizarre thread started by a paranoid ND fan who was defending his team's weak OOC schedule against no one.

Right. You were just concerned about Chris's paranoia. That must be why you wrote "...when what you should be explaining is why Notre Dame scheduled this OOC game in the first place"

And to back up my point about UConn throwing bones to regional teams, see this schedule in UConn's 40-0 2013-14 season (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1872&s=203291). Their OOC schedule includes games with Hartford (367), Boston University (279), and Monmouth (465).

In contrast, Valparaiso is ranked 386. Seems pretty comparable.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/16 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Right. You were just concerned about Chris's paranoia. That must be why you wrote "...when what you should be explaining is why Notre Dame scheduled this OOC game in the first place"

And to back up my point about UConn throwing bones to regional teams, see this schedule in UConn's 40-0 2013-14 season (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1872&s=203291). Their OOC schedule includes games with Hartford (367), Boston University (279), and Monmouth (465).

In contrast, Valparaiso is ranked 386. Seems pretty comparable.

You keep wanting to make this about UConn. It wasn't a UConn fan who started this thread. It was an Irish fan. And my post was about their apparent paranoia and not about Notre Dame's schedule. Play whom you choose.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/05/16 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
you should be explaining is why Notre Dame scheduled this OOC game in the first place?

linkster wrote:
my post was about their apparent paranoia and not about Notre Dame's schedule.

Get your story straight. Rolling Eyes

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
You seem to be preemptively defending against a charge of running up the score when what you should be explaining is why Notre Dame scheduled this OOC game in the first place?

It's helping to give exposure to a small local team, kind of like UConn playing Hartford.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/05/16 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

What's so bizarre about pointing out that your team is down to 9 players and therefore doesn't have a full bench and that the four least playing times were by starters? It's not like that's a common thing, right? When was the last time that four starters had fewer minutes than the bench players in a UConn game? I can't recall it happening before in a ND game.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/16 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

What's so bizarre about pointing out that your team is down to 9 players and therefore doesn't have a full bench and that the four least playing times were by starters? It's not like that's a common thing, right? When was the last time that four starters had fewer minutes than the bench players in a UConn game? I can't recall it happening before in a ND game.

Actually UConn has had games where they only had 7 players. In the 2014 season, I believe, they started the season with nine scholarship players and then lost Tuck for the season and KML for a few weeks after the second game of the season.

UConn played the first game with 7 players. The bench consisted of Chong in her second college game and Stokes. They only played a total of 33 minutes but maybe that's because UConn was playing at No 8 Maryland and not at home vs Massey No. 295 Valparaiso.

UConn followed up that game with one at No 15 Penn State. Same story.

And yes, UConn played Hartford, Monmouth and BU that season but before Christmas they had played No 2 No 3, No 8, No 15, and No 22. Three of those five were road games and another was at MSG.

And just in case you were thinking of their pathetic AAC schedule they played No 2/3 Louisville home and away, No 21 Rutgers home and away, and anothe OOC top 10 game at No 2 Baylor.

All that with a roster that started at nine, dropped to 7 for a few weeks and then stayed at 8 the rest of the season. And during that season UConn fans had to endure the idiotic claim that they were running up the score by playing their starters too much.

UConn's 2014 conference schedule was at least as tough as what ND faces in the ACC this year but it didn't stop their coach from filling their OOC schedule with challenging opponents.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/06/16 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

Actually UConn has had games where they only had 7 players. In the 2014 season, I believe, they started the season with nine scholarship players and then lost Tuck for the season and KML for a few weeks after the second game of the season.

UConn played the first game with 7 players. The bench consisted of Chong in her second college game and Stokes. They only played a total of 33 minutes but maybe that's because UConn was playing at No 8 Maryland and not at home vs Massey No. 295 Valparaiso.

UConn followed up that game with one at No 15 Penn State. Same story.

And yes, UConn played Hartford, Monmouth and BU that season but before Christmas they had played No 2 No 3, No 8, No 15, and No 22. Three of those five were road games and another was at MSG.

And just in case you were thinking of their pathetic AAC schedule they played No 2/3 Louisville home and away, No 21 Rutgers home and away, and anothe OOC top 10 game at No 2 Baylor.

All that with a roster that started at nine, dropped to 7 for a few weeks and then stayed at 8 the rest of the season. And during that season UConn fans had to endure the idiotic claim that they were running up the score by playing their starters too much.

UConn's 2014 conference schedule was at least as tough as what ND faces in the ACC this year but it didn't stop their coach from filling their OOC schedule with challenging opponents.

ND has had serious depth problems before, too. Hey, ND once had to suit up a student manager and she actually played in a BET game (and scored a basket).

BTW, it sounds like YOU are the one being defensive here. Or maybe doing some projection.

Since UConn was accused in the past of running up the score, you accuse me of preemptively trying to defuse the situation.

What I said wasn't common was having 4 starters with the fewest minutes, not being down to 9 players. That obviously is common.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/06/16 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to point out something. Whenever I post something about UConn, the "king of the roost" in the sport, I get accused of only focusing on UConn.

When I post some interesting or strange stat about ND (my own team, and BTW, I'm one of those people who find interesting or strange stats fun to think about), I get snide remarks from UConn fans.

And you wonder why I have the attitude that I do. I mean, what exactly am I supposed to post here?

And people wonder why other W. BBall boards end up being Boneyard clones...

linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/16 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="CBiebel"]

Quote:
And you wonder why I have the attitude that I do. I mean, what exactly am I supposed to post here?

If you want info on receiving snide remarks, ask any UConn fan. They get the most.

I read the title to your post and had but one interpretation of it.

ND had to have a starter on court for the entire Valpo game[/b]

Why not write "minutes oddity in Valparaiso game" as a title.

Knowing it had been a blowout from the tip I assumed you were saying that Notre Dame couldn't put ALL their starters on the bench in an obvious blowout because they only had 4 subs. Why would you say that? Simple, you figured someone was going to accuse your team of running up the score. I think that's the reasonable interpretation. So I responded. Your mention of a minutes oddity didn't even seem to fit the title and frankly I thought it was a boring pseudo-stat.

Grow a thicker skin. This isn't your homer board. If a UConn fan posted any comment about anything to do with a win over a cupcake here they got raked over the coals. That's the price of being No 1 (coaches)

UConn had a couple of games 3 years ago where 2 starters had to be on the court at all times because of a short bench.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/16 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

BTW, it sounds like YOU are the one being defensive here. Or maybe doing some projection.

Defensive? Only because you took the time to look up Monmouth, BU & hartford from 3 years ago but somehow you didn't notice the lengthy list of elite teams UConn played, both OOC and in conference. If McGraw had challenged her team with some elite games before New Years I would never have mentioned the Valparaiso game but she hasn't, has she? No, your next top 10 game after tomorrow isn't till February (louisville). And then not till the last game of the regular season (Fla St). Both at home. A coach with balls would have seen all the home games and scheduled at least one really tough road game.

I love Notre Dame fans. Never give an inch and more concerned with winning an argument than in laying all the facts on the table.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet another thread derailed. Rolling Eyes

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Defensive? Only because you took the time to look up Monmouth, BU & hartford from 3 years ago but somehow you didn't notice the lengthy list of elite teams UConn played, both OOC and in conference. If McGraw had challenged her team with some elite games before New Years I would never have mentioned the Valparaiso game but she hasn't, has she? No, your next top 10 game after tomorrow isn't till February (louisville). And then not till the last game of the regular season (Fla St). Both at home. A coach with balls would have seen all the home games and scheduled at least one really tough road game.

I love Notre Dame fans. Never give an inch and more concerned with winning an argument than in laying all the facts on the table.

Linkster, you can claim that your initial post was innocent and unrelated to UCONN, but anyone with knowledge of your posting history can clearly see it for what it was. You were criticizing Notre Dame for scheduling Valpo. You have already claimed in this thread and elsewhere that UCONN is scheduling a very difficult schedule and have complained that Notre Dame has not. You have stated that Notre Dame is playing only one top 10 team until late February or something, but that is not true. No one truly knows how good a team will be before the season starts, and Washington is ranked in the top 10 by both Sagarin (8th) and Massey (8th). There are only 3 teams in Sagarin's top 10 that have had more difficult schedules than Notre Dame and that will not change after Wednesday nights battle with UCONN. Massey, who projects schedule difficulty, now predicts that Notre Dame will have the 6th toughest schedule when the regular season ends. According to Massey, ND will have played 4 top 10 teams by the end of the regular season while UConn will have played 6. In the conference tournaments, it's likely that ND will pick up another top 10 opponent, but it is unlikely that UConn will.

Most posters on this site are in awe of the difficulty of UCONN's OOC schedule. It is so difficult that by season's end, Massey projects UCONN's overall schedule to be the toughest this season. I have no trouble admitting that and have pointed it out several times. I will also point out your crap when you dis the Notre Dame schedule.

CBiebel was wrong when he criticized UConn fans on this site. The vast majority are respectful of Notre Dame. By far the biggest exception is you, linkster.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/06/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Sorry. It's hard not to respond when someone is dissing your team. Embarassed

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/06/16 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Sorry. It's hard not to respond when someone is dissing your team. Embarassed

Yeah, it wasn't you.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/06/16 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We should have a special ND vs UConn thread where the two sides can battle it out - world wide wrestling special on rebkells. Maybe we could draw more fans to watch.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

Linkster, you can claim that your initial post was innocent and unrelated to UCONN, but anyone with knowledge of your posting history can clearly see it for what it was. You were criticizing Notre Dame for scheduling Valpo. You have already claimed in this thread and elsewhere that UCONN is scheduling a very difficult schedule and have complained that Notre Dame has not. You have stated that Notre Dame is playing only one top 10 team until late February or something, but that is not true. No one truly knows how good a team will be before the season starts, and Washington is ranked in the top 10 by both Sagarin (8th) and Massey (8th). There are only 3 teams in Sagarin's top 10 that have had more difficult schedules than Notre Dame and that will not change after Wednesday nights battle with UCONN. Massey, who projects schedule difficulty, now predicts that Notre Dame will have the 6th toughest schedule when the regular season ends. According to Massey, ND will have played 4 top 10 teams by the end of the regular season while UConn will have played 6. In the conference tournaments, it's likely that ND will pick up another top 10 opponent, but it is unlikely that UConn will.

Most posters on this site are in awe of the difficulty of UCONN's OOC schedule. It is so difficult that by season's end, Massey projects UCONN's overall schedule to be the toughest this season. I have no trouble admitting that and have pointed it out several times. I will also point out your crap when you dis the Notre Dame schedule.

CBiebel was wrong when he criticized UConn fans on this site. The vast majority are respectful of Notre Dame. By far the biggest exception is you, linkster.

I have a great deal of respect for the Notre Dame women's basketball program unlike most UConn fans on the boards. I grew up a huge Irish fan prior to title IX. Cheered like hell in the UConn student union when Carr got 52 at Pauley and ended the Bruins long home winning streak. I even remember a drive from the left wing right between Wicks and Rowe. My favorite coaches outside of Geno are McGraw and Tara. So cut the crap about disrepecting the Irish.

Now Irish fans are a different story. I wish I could go back and review all of UConn's game threads for the last couple of years when certain troll(s) would post that they were not going to watch he game because the result was a foregone conclusion. This wasn't just a couple of times. The disrespect for the AAC has been constant for three years. The same bullshit, over and over and over. So forgive me if you feel disrespected but I didn't create this atmosphere.

Then I remember when a certain Irish fan was bragging about their football team and dissing UConn's. When I pointed out that UConn was 1-0 against his vaunted football team the response was that "that game didn't count because ND had a bad coach. And they were serious. That's what I call arrogance and a state of denial.

I like the Massey ratings. But both UConn's and Washington's rankings are still benefiting from last year's stats. Washington had a great ride last year
I may be wrong but I don't recollect one irish fan mentioning that UConn's SOS at Massey for the last couple of years was 1 or 2. Nope, all I read was about all the bad RPI's in the AAC. Just like now, where you mention both sagarin and Massey for rankings but ignore the Massey SOS. Just like Biebel with his Monmouth, BU & Hartford comment, Irish fans like to tell only half the story and it's always the half that favors themselves or disses UConn.

I like reading the Irish homer board because there is more honesty when the Irish fans feel safe to talk about the weaknesses of the team. But when you come here it's "defend the flag at all costs"

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/06/16 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cbiebel setting up some excuses just in case for Thurs morning Laughing Laughing

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/06/16 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

People wonder why my reaction to most major WCBB rivalries is "A pox on both your houses".

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: