RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Now THIS is a good holiday tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/25/16 11:52 am    ::: Now THIS is a good holiday tournament Reply Reply with quote

Gulf Coast Showcase

Includes Baylor, DePaul, Ohio St, Syracuse and GW.

There's going to be some good games. Syracuse plays GW today in the first round.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 11/25/16 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems to be getting better every year. I think Stanford and Louisville were in last year, UConn the year before that

Durantula

PostPosted: 11/26/16 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wondering about these holiday tournaments, but how do the event operators make money? I just saw a picture of the crowd at a top 15 matchup between Ohio State and Syracuse and it looks empty.

For men's basketball these holiday tournaments look to get TV money because so many are televised. But since none of these women's events are televised, I'm just thinking would it be better to just play some of these games on campus sites so at least some fans can enjoy them? At least on campus sites they would probably be live streamed which cannot be said about all of these events. The teams do benefit by getting to travel to some exotic locales and maybe that tradeoff is worth the lack of T.V. or crowd.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/26/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Just wondering about these holiday tournaments, but how do the event operators make money? I just saw a picture of the crowd at a top 15 matchup between Ohio State and Syracuse and it looks empty.

For men's basketball these holiday tournaments look to get TV money because so many are televised. But since none of these women's events are televised, I'm just thinking would it be better to just play some of these games on campus sites so at least some fans can enjoy them? At least on campus sites they would probably be live streamed which cannot be said about all of these events. The teams do benefit by getting to travel to some exotic locales and maybe that tradeoff is worth the lack of T.V. or crowd.

When I logged on to the Syracuse/Ohio State, it said there were 525 people streaming the game. Not a big crowd for a top 20 contest.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/26/16 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Durantula wrote:

When I logged on to the Syracuse/Ohio State, it said there were 525 people streaming the game. Not a big crowd for a top 20 contest.

How many people other than posters here know about this youtube broadcast? I haven't seen it promoted anywhere. This is a " thanks to Shades" show.

I think the promoters are paid by the government and tourism authorities. They all hope to become a Maui success with thousands of basketball fans filling hotels.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/26/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Durantula wrote:

How many people other than posters here know about this youtube broadcast? I haven't seen it promoted anywhere. This is a " thanks to Shades" show.

I think the promoters are paid by the government and tourism authorities. They all hope to become a Maui success with thousands of basketball fans filling hotels.

Excellent point. Thanks again, Shades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: