RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn #1 in first USA Today/Coaches' Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/28/16 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Well, ya gotta start somewhere, eh?

I'm not convinced ALL of the voters were the most informed voters possible, but hey....it's a start.

Re: UConn? I always thought it was a general courtesy that the reigning champs were the token #1.

A few years ago aTm started the next year at number 6. Tourney MVP Danielle Adams was gone. They weren't the same team that had won the previous title.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 10/28/16 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last April, I thought that with its returning team that ND should get the number one ranking. With that said, in this year of uncertainty I still believe just based on the mixture of experience, talent and coaching that Notre Dame is still number one though would accept others holding that preseason ranking. This year of all years with parity finally filtering deeper down through the top 25 I would not be surprised to see more than a few changes in the number one ranking throughtout the regular season.

I am mildly surprise to say the least to see UCONN at one though I still believe they have as much of a chance as several top teams to win it all come this April.

PostPosted: 10/28/16 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
UConn has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with them being #1 in the preseason.

So players don't matter. Only the name of the school matters. I understand now. Rolling Eyes

The identity of the coach matters.

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Northwestern, on paper, had a starting five last season that should've done better. Coffey will be a very high draft pick one day. Deary is athletic, but you can't overlook G Christen Inman and post Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah. The back half of last season, the Nigerian became a big factor on the boards. Inman is a 5-10 guard that averaged something like 14 ppg.

Not sure if they have any impact new players and they certainly have something to prove, but having seen them a few times, the potential is there. The same can be said about a lot of teams. Northwestern has multiple players that have the chance to be pros at various levels and that usually leads to winning in college. I still can't quite figure out why they couldn't put it together last season.

Northwestern was 18-17 overall, and 4-14 in the B10 last year. What would lead you to believe that basically the same team will be top 25 this year? NW's problem is that they have a couple of good players, but other teams have a couple players just as good as Coffey and Deary, and have better supporting casts. NW just doesn't have enough quality players to consistently win.[/quote]

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
UConn has more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with them being #1 in the preseason.

So players don't matter. Only the name of the school matters. I understand now. Rolling Eyes

To clarify a little my point above; IF the team is in the group of contenders, with no clearcut best team at this point, I think it's okay for them to be pre-season number one in the poll.

If they were expecting a big dropoff, like not considered in the top teams anymore, then I get dropping them too.

Basically, there is no right or wrong IMO, just how you interpret the top teams to start the season.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, David. They've earned the benefit of the doubt, especially given that there is no clear cut other choice. At the end of the day, it's a meaningless preseason ranking and gives us something to talk about.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/28/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I thought Northwestern, on paper, had a starting five last season that should've done better. Coffey will be a very high draft pick one day. Deary is athletic, but you can't overlook G Christen Inman and post Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah. The back half of last season, the Nigerian became a big factor on the boards. Inman is a 5-10 guard that averaged something like 14 ppg.

Not sure if they have any impact new players and they certainly have something to prove, but having seen them a few times, the potential is there. The same can be said about a lot of teams. Northwestern has multiple players that have the chance to be pros at various levels and that usually leads to winning in college. I still can't quite figure out why they couldn't put it together last season.

Northwestern was 18-17 overall, and 4-14 in the B10 last year. What would lead you to believe that basically the same team will be top 25 this year? NW's problem is that they have a couple of good players, but other teams have a couple players just as good as Coffey and Deary, and have better supporting casts. NW just doesn't have enough quality players to consistently win.
[/quote]

Lauren Douglas is back with her 10 ppg from two years ago. There's some depth there, but probably not enough quality depth to make a difference.

ewecon

PostPosted: 10/28/16 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art, why do you insist on arguing every point people make on this board? You're pretty arrogant and condescending, are you aware of that?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/28/16 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:
Art, why do you insist on arguing every point people make on this board? You're pretty arrogant and condescending, are you aware of that?

Well it's pretty obvious why you don't like my posts. . .

ewecon wrote:
Putting my UConn bias aside,.

But I'm honored to be in such good company as one of your chosen targets. With only 20 posts in four years you're putting together quite the resume of shitty posting:

ewecon wrote:

MacGraddy, Thanks for another typically condescending response. It's amazing how you always know what coaches and players think. That's an impressive talent. You really are amazing!.....

ewecon wrote:
pilight wrote:
The NCAA tournament has never had a F4 where the majority of the head coaches were male. We have two male coaches in already. Therefore, Geno Auriemma and Scott Rueck cannot get there.

......and that matters because?????

Are you of the mindset that only women should coach women and men should coach men? If so, please hop in your Delorean, accelerate to 88 MPH and join us in the 21st century.

ewecon wrote:
wnbashockballa, your posts would be a lot easier to read if you would get a keyboard that supports punctuation. Just sayin'.

The two walk-ons have been on the team a few years, work thier a**es off in practice and are good enough to play significant minutes on many of the teams out there. They deserved being awarded the scholarships. Your GPA comment was pure conjecture and shouldn't have been said without providing even a shred of proof to support it.

ewecon wrote:
....."I think this looks bad for Uconn, 2015 could be there last top 5 class.".....

Really? Why is that? Contrary to popular belief, UConn doesn't ALWAYS get the top recruits.

UConn will be fine, but thanks for your concern. (note the sarcasm)

ewecon wrote:
Big deal, she wanted a transfer after the coach she agreed to play for got fired. Yet another overreaction to a non-event.

ewecon wrote:
MGM said "LadyVol777 gave a clear answer to the topic question by saying that there are only five Power conferences because football rules.

Do you have an opinion on the topic, which is whether the AAC is a mid-major conference or not?"

Firstly, I wasn't attacking LadyVol777, nor was I disputing what she said about there being 5 power conferences. I was simply stating that what was said about UConn and the AAC is pure speculation...and it is. You have an issue with that?

.....and yes, I do have an opinion.....UConn is a Power 5 basketball school team stuck in a mid-major conference because it's football program sucks. That OK with you?

But really, if you don't like my posts, to paraphrase your "advice" to CTH:

ewecon wrote:

.....and for the record, you CAN close your ears. It's called changing the channel.

Change threads. Don't read my posts.

As an aside, I'm just curious whether "ewecon" is actually a second handle for a poster who goes by a different name here that you simply haul out when you want to be particularly rude or personal. Just a wild, but not far-fetched, guess.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/28/16 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As an aside, I'm just curious whether "ewecon" is actually a second handle for a poster who goes by a different name here that you simply haul out when you want to be particularly rude or personal. Just a wild, but not far-fetched, guess.

Not at all a New Concept here at Reb's unfortunately. Confused

PostPosted: 10/28/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This forum allows multiple screen names? I've been naively of the view that that cancerous practice was not allowed here. If it is allowed, my entire worldview of this site changes.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/28/16 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This forum allows multiple screen names? I've been naively of the view that that cancerous practice was not allowed here. If it is allowed, my entire worldview of this site changes.

Not sure you can assume it's allowed from a few people trying to get away with it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/28/16 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ewecon wrote:

No personal attacks, please.

PostPosted: 10/28/16 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn lost three National Team starters, but also retains National Team players and also added a National Team player. And Canadian Kia Nurse might be at that level as well. They lose elite talent, but they also retain elite talent, and gain elite talent.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/29/16 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure on UConn or Maryland's ranking.

Think Texas, Ohio State and UCLA can all be a little higher. Probably will each make an appearance in the top 5 at some point this season. I think UConn, Notre Dame and South Caroline are there to stay in the top 3, fluctuating but these others will make stops in.

Also think Louisville and Stanford are a bit high.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: