RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

American Conference pre-season honors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why don't you try talking about basketball just for once. Go ahead. Try it.

Well, actually Bart DID reply to my original posting by discussing Temple would be pretty good. I think that was basketball talk, but since most everyone here questions if that's what is played in the American, I'm not 100% sure.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
How do people think that the reigning Freshman of the Year will do this year? Kitija Laska of South Florida showed flashes of some good stuff last year--but the departure of Williams and Jenkins is probably hard. I really do think that there is a good core of Ferriera, Laska, and Jepersen here, it's just a matter of how those pieces fit together for them moving forward. Laksa can get hot at the right time, as SMU learned last season when Laska set the American record for most points by a Freshman with 38. She definitely cooled off at the end--but was hampered by an injury if I recall right.

She was hurt and then tried to come back early, that's when she faded.

Laska definitely has skills and was able to get her shot, but Courtney Williams really did take a lot of heat off her. Jenkins is gone too, and she really helped with second chance opportunities (kick out).

With Ferreira out indefinitely and Williams a Connecticut resident during summer months, she's going to have to work harder.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
How do people think that the reigning Freshman of the Year will do this year? Kitija Laska of South Florida showed flashes of some good stuff last year--but the departure of Williams and Jenkins is probably hard. I really do think that there is a good core of Ferriera, Laska, and Jepersen here, it's just a matter of how those pieces fit together for them moving forward. Laksa can get hot at the right time, as SMU learned last season when Laska set the American record for most points by a Freshman with 38. She definitely cooled off at the end--but was hampered by an injury if I recall right.

Laska definitely has skills and was able to get her shot, but Courtney Williams really did take a lot of heat off her. Jenkins is gone too, and she really helped with second chance opportunities (kick out).

With Ferreira out indefinitely and Williams a Connecticut resident during summer months, she's going to have to work harder.

Why is Ferriera out?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Why is Ferriera out?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-hoops-standout-laura-ferreira-out-indefinitely/2299765

Quote:
USF junior F Laura Ferreira, the No. 2 returning scorer for the Bulls women's team, is out indefinitely with a plantar fascia injury that could force her to take a redshirt this season.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 10/25/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Well, actually Bart DID reply to my original posting by discussing Temple would be pretty good. I think that was basketball talk, but since most everyone here questions if that's what is played in the American, I'm not 100% sure.

The AAC hasn't looked so good but their main problem was that they had to face UCONN (sometimes twice a year). How many teams in the other conferences were able to solve that problem the last 3 years, or even look good trying?

I know your qualification was tongue-in-cheek, but the original statement about Bart's post not being about basketball is absolutely incredible.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
I think that Gabby William is being underestimated as she can be the POY for the AAC. Prior to her injury in 2014, ASGR had her ranked the #2 recruit, Blue Star had her at 7. Prospect Nation after the injury dropped her understandably to 15th. She has shown significant improvement each year since and I expect her to improve on her trajectory, shown she has overcome her ACL injury. She is the best athlete on the team by far and stepping out from behind the big three from a year ago might prove to be the best basketball player on the court for UCONN this year. She, I believe, will be the most improved.

I do find interesting the theory that seems popular in some quarters that Williams, after two years of making exactly zero three point shots, is suddenly this year about to be transformed into the next coming of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis from behind the arc.

If that's true that will be a very big deal for UConn's prospects.

Weird reply, imo, to a post that mentioned neither KML nor 3-pt shooting.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

The AAC hasn't looked so good but their main problem was that they had to face UCONN (sometimes twice a year).

No, their main problem is that because UConn is in the conference people feel for some reason compelled to pretend the conference is something it's not. It's a mid major conferences. Everybody in it except UConn and Temple, I believe, is a former CUSA school. Acknowledging that is not "snobby", it's not embarassing, it's just reality.

In the "Who will finish 3rd in the AAC" thread, I thought Summertime Blues nailed it (and didn't even get called snobby in the process):

summertime blues wrote:
Remove UConn from the AAC and it could be an interesting mid-major conference, on par with the OVC, C-USA, or the CAA.

So their major problem is simply unreasonable and unrealistic expectations resulting from UConn's presence. Without UConn it would be a fun, competitive mid major. And that wouldn't bother anyone.

I'm still waiting to get an answer regarding what part of my post about Temple was incorrect. Or maybe I'm mistaken and UConn fans actually do believe that Butts is better than any UConn player other than Nurse and Samuelson (But I doubt that.).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
I think that Gabby William is being underestimated as she can be the POY for the AAC. Prior to her injury in 2014, ASGR had her ranked the #2 recruit, Blue Star had her at 7. Prospect Nation after the injury dropped her understandably to 15th. She has shown significant improvement each year since and I expect her to improve on her trajectory, shown she has overcome her ACL injury. She is the best athlete on the team by far and stepping out from behind the big three from a year ago might prove to be the best basketball player on the court for UCONN this year. She, I believe, will be the most improved.

I do find interesting the theory that seems popular in some quarters that Williams, after two years of making exactly zero three point shots, is suddenly this year about to be transformed into the next coming of Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis from behind the arc.

There was no suggestion that THAT poster had said anything about that. It was a perfectly simple, appropriate follow-on to that post about Williams' capabilities and whether she might end up POY. It was about Williams.

Some of you people are just looking for anything to piss and moan about.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/25/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Art, UCBart does talk basketball. Perhaps you are confusing him with someone else. And he is far from a partisan, despite being a UConn fan. His first post in this thread was hardly argumentative, yet your reply definitely was. Most of the UConn fans that post here are perfectly reasonable. Maybe you should save your vitriol for the posters that deserve it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Art, UCBart does talk basketball. Perhaps you are confusing him with someone else. And he is far from a partisan, despite being a UConn fan. His first post in this thread was hardly argumentative, yet your reply definitely was. Most of the UConn fans that post here are perfectly reasonable. Maybe you should save your vitriol for the posters that deserve it.

And his second post? Conveniently you ignored that.

And my reply was not "argumentative.". I challenged, with actual facts, the notion Temple was good or "definitely an 8/9 seed in the NCAA tournament.". And no one has yet bothered to point out a single misstatement, instead choosing, as you have done , to attack the poster instead of addressing the substance.

One would think I must have gotten lost and ended up on the Boneyard. Don't dare say anything that might hurt the UConn fans' feelings.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

And my reply was not "argumentative.". I challenged, with actual facts, the notion Temple was good or "definitely an 8/9 seed in the NCAA tournament.". And no one has yet bothered to point out a single misstatement, instead choosing, as you have done , to attack the poster instead of addressing the substance.

One would think I must have gotten lost and ended up on the Boneyard. Don't dare say anything that might hurt the UConn fans' feelings.

Look, I admit that many times on this board I've seen responses posted from posters with Husky Blue glasses. I don't think there's one post here that doesn't paint a realistic picture of the American.

When a person says the second best team is a legit 8/9 candidate, that's not exactly extolling the praises of a conference.

However, if you say they are a mid-major except UConn, consider the following from last year's tournament:

#8 Seton Hall
#9 Duquesne
#6 USF
#7 BYU
#8 George Washington

are all mid-major teams. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the best team in the "mid-major American" ie the UConn-less conference, could be an 8/9 seed based on these.

So if Bart thinks they are a definite candidate for an 8/9 I'd say he's not being unreasonable in his position.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'll fry an egg if Kia Nurse is the AAC POY.

I'll add the grits!!

Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Times change. Interests change. Minds change.

If I hadn't seen the OP I don't think I could have named one player in the AAC other than UConn's, even if tortured by Dr. Mengele. In the old Big East days, I always knew the starting lineups and key reserves of Rutgers, Notre Dame and Louisville, and at least two or three players from all the rest of the schools, except maybe Seton Hall and Providence when they were bottom end.

I wonder why . . . seriously. Part of it is surely the ever oncreeping years. One just loses interest in various things -- subtly, slowly, but one day you remember you just can't remember and don't care that you don't remember. I think.

I can't yet tell whether I've lost interest in FBB in general or just AAC-UConn WCBB in specific. It's probably both, but less the former than the latter.

Conferences always spread the butter of awards way off the bread. Inclusiveness is more important than merit in all facets of today's post-liberal society. I once counted 45 different individual player post-season award categories in one conference.

I suppose the conference POY will have to come from UConn, the presumptive winner, but I don't expect Kia Nurse to be the best player on the team. If she is, I'll certainly lose more interest since she doesn't interest me much, and Myrtle's wolves will deserve a good meal.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Look, I admit that many times on this board I've seen responses posted from posters with Husky Blue glasses. I don't think there's one post here that doesn't paint a realistic picture of the American.

When a person says the second best team is a legit 8/9 candidate, that's not exactly extolling the praises of a conference.

However, if you say they are a mid-major except UConn, consider the following from last year's tournament:

#8 Seton Hall
#9 Duquesne
#6 USF
#7 BYU
#8 George Washington

are all mid-major teams. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the best team in the "mid-major American" ie the UConn-less conference, could be an 8/9 seed based on these.

So if Bart thinks they are a definite candidate for an 8/9 I'd say he's not being unreasonable in his position.

There are plenty of very good mid major teams. But that doesn't mean Temple is one of them. Four of those schools you name had RPIs of 19, 20, 22, and 33. Several were ranked much of the year. Temple wasn't GW or USF last year. There's no similarity. They were 23-12, RPI 55. They don't have any big new stars. They're basically the same team they were last year.

I wish someone would explain what is different about Temple that is going to raise them enough to be a "definite" NCAA team this year.

BTW, it's very possible that Temple is picked 2nd in the conference not because it is expected to be markedly improved, but rather because USF is predicted to be weaker than in the past few years.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

There was no suggestion that THAT poster had said anything about that. It was a perfectly simple, appropriate follow-on to that post about Williams' capabilities and whether she might end up POY. It was about Williams.

Some of you people are just looking for anything to piss and moan about.

In what quarter is Williams as KML 3-pt shooter a popular theory?

As for pissing and moaning, I bow to your expertise on the subject.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the logic to many voters was that Nurse is the top returning scorer for UConn so naturally that was almost by default and doesn't surprise me. It was sort of like when Shyra Ely was an All American in 2004, yet she never got out of that whole role player type of mentality and Pat was always on her for that. This year's UConn team will definitely be interesting as a lot of people know. It could be like the 2005 UConn team. You go from having a player like Taurasi who will demand the ball in a tight situation and just has that leader mentality. The next two years, you had talent and scorers for UConn but you could tell on the court that it was a lot of players waiting for someone to come in and bail them out: nobody wanted to be that player to shoulder the responsibility. You saw a little bit of it in the 2006 NCAA tourney when Turner hit that three in the sweet sixteen and when Charde took that last shot that would've sent it into OT with Duke. Will Nurse be a Strother type player: always good but never great or a waited her turn and ready to lead type? She had some good games with Canada, but the US would almost shut her out. Butler didn't look good even in the intrasquad scrimmage so it might be a tight rotation once again. I'm looking forward to Dangerfield, she seems like the prototype UConn point!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I think the logic to many voters was that Nurse is the top returning scorer for UConn so naturally that was almost by default and doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't detract from the substance of your post, but Katie Lou Samuelson is the top returning scorer. Nurse is second.

I'd be very surprised if Nurse ended up first or second in scoring, and still surprised if she ended up third and maybe even fourth. I think Samuelson, Williams, Collier and Chong (who has other problems) are all more natural scorers than Nurse. Dangerfield may have trouble scoring as a freshman because of her height and inexperience, just as Jefferson did before she smartened up to elite college basketball, improved her shot quality judgment, and improved her outside shooting touch.

I expect Samuelson to be UConn's strongest candidate for post-season awards.
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 10/25/16 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
I think the logic to many voters was that Nurse is the top returning scorer for UConn so naturally that was almost by default and doesn't surprise me.

It doesn't detract from the substance of your post, but Katie Lou Samuelson is the top returning scorer. Nurse is second.

I'd be very surprised if Nurse ended up first or second in scoring, and still surprised if she ended up third and maybe even fourth. I think Samuelson, Williams, Collier and Chong (who has other problems) are all more natural scorers than Nurse. Dangerfield may have trouble scoring as a freshman because of her height and inexperience, just as Jefferson did before she smartened up to elite college basketball, improved her shot quality judgment, and improved her outside shooting touch.

I expect Samuelson to be UConn's strongest candidate for post-season awards.

Agreed. And I suspect most UCONN fans expect that from Samuelson.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It still pisses me off to see a Samuelson in a UConn uni Wink

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Then this is just for you:

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/25/16 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She could still transfer.

I mean, let me indulge in could've been.

Sniezek-Samuelson-Samuelson-McCall-Johnson with Smith, Roberson, and Fingall off the bench? Yes please.

sammieee

PostPosted: 10/26/16 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

She could still transfer.

I mean, let me indulge in could've been.

Sniezek-Samuelson-Samuelson-McCall-Johnson with Smith, Roberson, and Fingall off the bench? Yes please.

She wouldn't get to play this year even if she transfers. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: