RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn vs. Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who'd win this season in head-to-head match-up?
UConn, duh
72%
 72%  [ 27 ]
Tennessee!
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 37

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/25/16 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm looking forward to Baylor's back-to-back games vs UCLA and UConn. Baylor doesn't usually give us this early season window into how good they are. On paper, they're potentially the best or one of the top two or three teams in the country. We'll get to see.

I agree, that jumped out at me as surprising.

Who can handle a tough first game better? Baylor vs UCLA, UConn vs Florida State.

Baylor actually plays two exhibitions plus a regular game vs Houston Baptist before facing UCLA. UCLA has an exhibition and plays Pacific.

Thought UCLA was the first regular season game. I don't count exhibition games; UConn has two of those two.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/25/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU plays an exhibition and has a regular season game vs Jacksonville St before uConn.

gpark33

PostPosted: 10/25/16 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they do not meet again as long as Geno is with UConn. His last game against TN needs to be Pat beating him and CP3 dunking in CT. It was magical.

PostPosted: 10/25/16 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comparing UConn and UTenn today to LaTech and ODU is an inapt analogy. Neither UConn nor UTenn has disappeared into the swamp of history. They both are still top programs, recruiting top players.

UConn and Tennessee played each other 22 times between 1995 and 2007. Before each of those games, both teams were ranked in the AP top 15. The same would be true today.

Those 12 years provided The Greatest Rivalry in the NCAA history of WCBB. For the fans of each team, the game was the most anticipated, the most feared, and the most punishing on their adrenal glands and sphincters.

To say a rivalry dies when coaches do is to focus on personalities instead of the competition. Through how many coaches have the rivalries been maintained between Notre Dame and USC (in football), Texas and Oklahoma, Duke and North Carolina, Harvard and Yale?

I struggle to think of any persuasive reason why UConn and UTenn shouldn't consider reinstating periodic match-ups, not necessarily every year. A few internet trolls who like to trash one team or the other, or both, aren't persuasive reasons.

Here's a great 1996 game from the greatest rivalry, between two teams that would be Final Four contenders today:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1IBcAZfkIEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
markinct

PostPosted: 11/08/16 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I loved the rivalry and would treasure a remake of it.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 11/08/16 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can I sit on my vote until I see Tennessee play Penn State ?
Both teams should be improved over last year, but how much is a guess right now.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/08/16 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are we still beating this dead horse?

PostPosted: 11/13/16 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Walker and Evina Westbrook sure did give some of us a little thought of future title game battles Wink

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 11/14/16 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be fun for the fans to have a reunion between Uconn and Tennessee but it wouldn't nearly be as interesting as in the past.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 11/14/16 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Why are we still beating this dead horse?

I had the same thought at first...but ya know, the more I've thought about it, there just aren't rivalries out there that had that gusto.

UConn-Notre Dame may be closest, but it doesn't feel the same.

I think that's why so many won't let it die.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: