RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OT: As if we haven't talked about this enough .. (Stanford)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:37 pm    ::: OT: As if we haven't talked about this enough .. (Stanford) Reply Reply with quote

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/19/jameis-winston-wishes-he-accepted-stanford-over-florida-state/

Winston, on a Wednesday conference call with the Bay Area media, acknowledged he’s second-guessed his 2012 decision to bypass Stanford and attend Florida State, where he won the 2013 Heisman Trophy and national championship. That set him up to become the No. 1l pick in the 2015 NFL draft and win Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Quote:
“It was really me just not really knowing how prestigious Stanford really was,” Winston said. “I look back all the time and see how if I went to Stanford what way my life could have turned. But, you know, you make your decisions and you go with them and you own them.”

Quote:
“Yeah, I mean, just because Stanford is a great school,” Winston said. “You are who you place yourself around. I would have just loved the opportunity to go to Stanford and be around some of my friends out there.”

This sure would make some good bulletin board stuff for Stanford coaches when recruiting.[/quote]

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/19/16 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does he think Stanford would have put up with the stuff like the sexual assault charge that the Tallahassee police and FSU conveniently swept under the rug?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/19/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hope not and I for one am glad he did not come to Stanford.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/19/16 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even in my day, a lot of the Stanford football players thought they were above the law, or at least able to push the limits. Entitlement is a problem in general for athletes...since we tend to treat the good ones like gods.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/19/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed, just wouldn't want to add to the problem.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 10/23/16 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Winston said. “You are who you place yourself around."

I think Winston is suggesting he might have made better decisions if he'd been around Stanford in his college years instead of FSU.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Quote:
Winston said. “You are who you place yourself around."

I think Winston is suggesting he might have made better decisions if he'd been around Stanford in his college years instead of FSU.

That would require a degree of enlightenment and self-awareness on his part that would surprise me. A lot.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/23/16 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you see the recent quote from Tiger that his one regret is that he didn't spend one more year at Stanford?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/23/16 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Did you see the recent quote from Tiger that his one regret is that he didn't spend one more year at Stanford?

That doesn't really surprise me, particularly for a guy who is watching his career end prematurely and involuntarily. Tiger is a pretty smart thoughtful guy.

And he certainly wouldn't be the first athlete to later wish out loud he'd stayed and finished school. (And I'll add that sometimes those type of comments strike me as a somewhat romanticized notion in hindsight because objectively it was often exactly the right decision to leave early. Probably no obvious right answer for Tiger.)

But Winston has never impressed me as being particularly enlightened or self aware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: