RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Preseason Write-ups, picks, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/16 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sporting News top 20

1 UConn
2 Baylor
3 Louisville
4 Notre Dame
5 Texas
6 South Carolins
7 Mississippi State
8 Maryland
9 UCLA
10 Kentucky
11 Ohio State
12 Miami (FL)
13 Tennessee
14 Stanford
15 West Virginia
16 Syracuse
17 Florida State
18 Washington
19 DePaul
20 Michigan State

PostPosted: 10/05/16 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was the Sporting News last year. Guess picking names out of a hat isn't really working too well for them.

1. South Carolina
2. Connecticut
3. Notre Dame
4. Baylor
5. Ohio State
6. Florida State
7. George Washington
8. Duke
9. Tennessee
10. Oregon State
11. Arizona State
12. Louisville
13. Texas
14. UCLA
15. South Florida
16. Princeton
17. Chattanooga
18. Northwestern
19. Texas A&M
20. Maryland

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/05/16 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

College Sports Madness has put out their 2016-17 Pre-season All-American Teams lists. I guess this is the appropriate thread for this:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/womens-basketball/weekly-awards

Coach of the Year: Muffet McGraw (ND)
Player of the Year: A'ja Wilson (USC)
Freshman of the Year: Joyner Holmes (TX)

First Team All-Americans:

G - Makayla Epps (UK)
G - Kelsey Mitchell (OSU)
G/F - Nina Davis (BU)
F - A'ja Wilson (USC)
F/C - Brianna Turner (ND)

Second Team All-Americans:

G - Lindsey Allen (ND)
G - Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (MD)
G/F - Kelsey Plum (UW)
F - Myisha Hines-Allen (UL)
F/C - Alaina Coates (USC)

Third Team All-Americans:

G - Diamond DeShields (TN)
G - Alexis Jones (BU)
G/F - Victoria Vivians (MSU)
F - Nia Coffey (NU)
F/C - Kristine Anigwe (CA)

Fourth Team All-Americans:

G - Sydney Weise (OSt)
G - Adrienne Motley (UM)
G/F - Katelynn Flaherty (MI)
F - Jordin Canada (UCLA)
F/C - Brionna Jones (MD)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/05/16 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
College Sports Madness has put out their 2016-17 Pre-season All-American Teams lists. I guess this is the appropriate thread for this:

Or maybe the existing thread entitled "College Sports Madness 2016-17 Preseason All-American Teams"

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/05/16 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crap - I looked but didn't see it somehow. Yep, that would probably go better in that thread lol....

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/06/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
Quote:
The talent, in terms of highly ranked players with tons of high school accolades, is there. The recruiting of high school players has been excellent. But the player development is severely lacking.

All of which highlights the fact that Quality of Coaching may be a bigger factor than player talent in determining program success.

What I cannot fathom is how someone like Coach P has received the continued Big $$$ contract extensions, despite lack of production over the span of all these years.

I, for one, was somewhat bemused to see Elizabeth Williams, late of Duke, named Most Improved Player in the WNBA (yes, I know this isn't the WNBA board, but hear me out!). I was always completely underwhelmed by Williams, as you may remember, when she was an undergrad, and several times expressed the feeling that I was glad she'd decided in favor of Duke father than Tennessee. She has indeed improved GREATLY since coming to the WNBA.....and IMO she could have been well ahead had she played for someone *other* than Coach P. It need not necessarily have been Pat and/or Holly. Just someone who could have developed her talent a lot sooner.

That is all.

Other Duke alums in the top 5 most improved players in the WNBA: Jasmine Thomas and Karima Christmas.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...maybe it's NOT that these players were OVER ranked coming out of high school that led to Duke UNDER performing. Jasmine is a great story as she had some serious flaws at Duke and early in her WNBA career - mostly high turnovers and low shooting percentage. The shooting percentage is directly related to Jasmine working on her shot. The lower turnovers is almost completely due to Jasmine buying into the gameplan so she's not trying to force things on her own and a coaching staff knowing how to take advantage of her natural talents.

Karima is a very gifted athlete who was never used correctly at Duke. When she was allowed to shoot 3 pt shots, she led the team in 3 pt %. When her role was changed, her outside shot suffered a lot and it virtually disappeared from her game. Now that it's back in her game and must be respected, it opens up her drives to the hoop. Her defense was always great and she was always committed to playing defense.

Other mentionables are Krystal Thomas who found her way back onto a roster due to her solid defense. Her defense was always WNBA level, but was an offensive liability when game plans depended on her scoring around the basket. Now that she only scores off o-bound putbacks and free throws and is used primarily for screening, she's an asset off the bench in the WNBA, which could not be predicted from the very last pick of the draft. Add in Haley Peters, who made the roster of the lowly SA Stars after a couple years playing overseas. Not ready for the WNBA after Duke, she can become a solid bench player in the league.

And EWill, the MIP in the WNBA. She continued displaying her best talent of blocking shots but has been given more leeway on offense. She plays low and high post, hitting shots from the high post and slipping away from the basket when teammates slash into the post, ready to receive a pass for the 6-8 ft baseline shot. This versatility in her game was always available but completely underutilized at Duke as the offensive plan was "post up in the pain early and often."

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: