RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will win the SEC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who ha got?
Alabama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Arkansas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Auburn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Florida
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Georgia
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kentucky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Louisiana State
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Mississippi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mississippi State
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Missouri
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
South Carolina
61%
 61%  [ 34 ]
Tennessee
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Texas A & M
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 55

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/03/16 11:15 am    ::: Who will win the SEC? Reply Reply with quote

Who will win the Conference Regular Season Title.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/03/16 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who cares about the SEC?

Although, South Carolina isn't as strong this year as last IMO. I think the jury is way out on the integration of Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis. If A'ja Wilson or Alaina Coates get into foul trouble, the post could be a scary proposition for the Gamecocks.

I'm going with the trendy pick this year.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/03/16 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I initially did this, I thought I included Vandy?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/03/16 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

If it was the last entry, you probably forgot to add it. It doesn't add automatically.

Now Big Ten fans can resent you even more for being more complete with other conferences.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/03/16 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

If it was the last entry, you probably forgot to add it. It doesn't add automatically.

Now Big Ten fans can resent you even more for being more complete with other conferences.

I don't see as much of a gap between the top teams in the league and the middle tier teams. The top teams over the last few years have sustained considerable losses entering his season. And it's not readily apparent if they've put into place the means to sustain themselves. reservations about proclaiming South Carolina were outlined above. Tennessee's backcourt is injured and the front court questionable. Kentucky a shambles. A&M (borrowing Howies analogy from another thread) likely a lead balloon. This could be when teams like Florida or Missouri or (look what they did last year) Auburn make an impact. Miss. State returns everyone from last years team that placed second in the league. It's hard to project how this conference could end up.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/03/16 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the P5 league with the least competition. The strange part is that I'm not convinced SCar would win any of the other P5 conferences, but they're going to walk away with the SEC. There's no real challenger.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/03/16 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going with MS-State. I think the Gamecocks will show how much they miss Tiff's leadership; Bianca will become a chucker, with no vision for posts/wings. This will cause Kaela to implode, and Alisha to transfer by December.

Okay. Maybe not. But I could see a real horse race between these 2, with maybe Missouri being the darkest horse in the race.

PostPosted: 09/09/16 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nm

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/09/16 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it will be a horse race between SC and MS State. Vandy could surprise everyone with Stephanie White at the helm. Florida, too, could be a surprise.
Tennessee and Kentucky are both in a mess, sad to say. I think both will turn around, but this year is for rebuilding. LSU has *been* a mess for quite awhile. Nikki can coach, but she can't recruit and so far hasn't hired anyone who can. I haven't seen enough of Ole Miss or TAMU to say anything. And the only thing I'm going to say about Mizzou is that they will be better when they stop playing dirty.

Last edited by summertime blues on 09/17/16 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/17/16 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
nm

Cosign.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/17/16 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This is the P5 league with the least competition. The strange part is that I'm not convinced SCar would win any of the other P5 conferences, but they're going to walk away with the SEC. There's no real challenger.

While I'm not certain that South Carolina would win any of the other P5 conferences, I am certainly not convinced that they couldn't. They have an immense amount of talent among the starters in Columbia, but they do have two questions that must be answered.

First, how well will the new talent (Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis) mesh with the returning starters? There is no real reason to think that they will not, as they have had a year to practice with the team, but things are always different when the ammo is live. I love Gray and am not worried about her, but Davis worries me a bit. She will need to share the ball a lot this season. If she adjusts well, her shooting percentages should rise considerably, as I think she is very talented. Gray has already played with other elite talent and she let the game come to her.

The second question is how well Cuevas handles the point. If she can play under control, she will greatly strengthen the backcourt, as she is a much more dynamic player than Sessions. Dawn has had two years to break her of the habits she possessed when she enrolled, so it's not crazy to expect a big improvement in year 3.

Of course all the top teams have question marks this season.

lvf08

PostPosted: 09/17/16 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably South Carolina

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/18/16 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

While I'm not certain that South Carolina would win any of the other P5 conferences, I am certainly not convinced that they couldn't. They have an immense amount of talent among the starters in Columbia, but they do have two questions that must be answered.

First, how well will the new talent (Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis) mesh with the returning starters? There is no real reason to think that they will not, as they have had a year to practice with the team, but things are always different when the ammo is live. I love Gray and am not worried about her, but Davis worries me a bit. She will need to share the ball a lot this season. If she adjusts well, her shooting percentages should rise considerably, as I think she is very talented. Gray has already played with other elite talent and she let the game come to her.

The second question is how well Cuevas handles the point. If she can play under control, she will greatly strengthen the backcourt, as she is a much more dynamic player than Sessions. Dawn has had two years to break her of the habits she possessed when she enrolled, so it's not crazy to expect a big improvement in year 3.

Of course all the top teams have question marks this season.

As to the first question, you pretty much provide the answer to it yourself. Both Davis and Gray have been in the program for a red-shirt year, practicing with the team. They've participated in pro-ams with the team as well with other local college and pro-level players this past summer. Gray as you've said has already played 2 seasons on a talent-laden team and had no problem at all sharing the ball. Davis was pretty much Option #1 as a sophomore at GT but shared the ball and was the 2nd-leading scorer her freshman yr there to Tyaunna Marshall who shot as many times as Davis did. They were by far the leading shooters but were also the only players on that GT team that averaged dbl digits (and they almost averaged 20 ppg), so perhaps they were expected to shoulder the majority of the load.

But Coach Staley and her staff have extensive experience in playing and coaching at the collegiate, professional, and international levels, and dealing with rosters of egos and star players for years, and they know how to manage those situations. We aren't talking about babes in the woods here, and if Davis was so concerned about not sharing the basketball and the limelight with others, then she wouldn't have come to play for South Carolina: she would have stayed right where she was at....

As for the 2nd question: I too have concerns regarding Cuevas-Moore: not so much in ball distribution but in turnovers. Coach Staley hasn't exactly had a history of having primary PGs that were high in assists per game: she has rather had several teams that had a number of solid ball handlers and distributors that moved the ball around.

One looks at what USC has had in recent years in regards to the ingredients of a championship program, and what it should return for 2016-17: since the 2013-14 season with Coates and Elem Ibiam, USC has regularly had dominance in the post: rebounding, shot blocking, points in the paint, etc. next season looks to be more of the same with Coates and Wilson, who make arguably the top interior post tandem in the nation this coming season.

The offensive scoring has steadily increased over the past 4-5 seasons, even if it sort of plateaued last season. Defensively the team should be expected to be stout once again, as it has been for years. The FG % has been stellar: we actually fell to 16th in the nation last season, after being 4th and 6th the previous 2 seasons.

So it's not a case of taking too many shots or missing the shots attempts the team takes - it's that we aren't taking enough shots overall. Or more precise: more balanced shot attempts. Again the defense is strong - point margins and rebounding margins are also among the nation's best - but where USC has had it's biggest deficit in recent seasons has been perimeter scoring. The posts are going to get theirs, and the statistical categories bear that out. USC needs more scoring - which requires more shot attempts, but also more shot completions - from outside the post.

USC has had issues with turnovers in recent seasons that were the result of bad passes into the post when the post players were blanketed, or of traveling due to attempting to drive into heavily-defended lanes where opponents are standing there waiting to force a charge. All because opponents haven't had to step out and defend the perimeter against players that shoot a lot.

The players that the staff have added to the roster should hopefully improve the perimeter shooting substantially and make the scoring more balanced. This will in turn give Coates and Wilson more freedom in the post to move and score at a higher clip. It would also make it harder for opposing defenses to defend against USC's scoring. Bianca is a player that was much more confident taking 3s and perimeter jump shots than Sessions ever was, and we should have several others who will take those perimeter shots when they are open.

That's what has me excited for the coming season: the additions not only make USC a more deeper and talented team, but it potentially makes the team a much more dynamically balanced team offensively speaking. And IMO that was the last big hole in the team's chance to really compete for the big titles...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/18/16 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Davis was pretty much Option #1 as a sophomore at GT but shared the ball and was the 2nd-leading scorer her freshman yr there to Tyaunna Marshall who shot as many times as Davis did. They were by far the leading shooters but were also the only players on that GT team that averaged dbl digits (and they almost averaged 20 ppg), so perhaps they were expected to shoulder the majority of the load.

But Coach Staley and her staff have extensive experience in playing and coaching at the collegiate, professional, and international levels, and dealing with rosters of egos and star players for years, and they know how to manage those situations. We aren't talking about babes in the woods here, and if Davis was so concerned about not sharing the basketball and the limelight with others, then she wouldn't have come to play for South Carolina: she would have stayed right where she was at....

As a sophomore, Davis took a whopping 645 shots - nearly 300 more than #2 Whiteside. She was clearly a volume shooter, hitting only 36%, and only 29% of her 235 three point attempts. For reference, that's more shots than Kelsey Mitchell took last year, and people deride Mitchell for being a gunner. But Mitchell made a far superior 45% of her shots, and 40% of her three point shots.

The previous year, Davis and Marshall did take the same number of shots, but Marshall made 48% of hers, while Davis made only 38% of hers. In 32 games, Davis also had only 35 assists, compared to 96 for Marshall. Meanwhile Davis had 103 turnovers. (105 turnovers as a sophomore.)

Tiffany Mitchell led SCar with 405 shots last year. I can't think of anyone who's played for Staley who has chucked it up at a pace anything close to that of Davis.

Davis has never seen a shot she didn't like. Making them is a different story.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 09/19/16 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only one Tennessee......

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/20/16 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Davis was pretty much Option #1 as a sophomore at GT but shared the ball and was the 2nd-leading scorer her freshman yr there to Tyaunna Marshall who shot as many times as Davis did. They were by far the leading shooters but were also the only players on that GT team that averaged dbl digits (and they almost averaged 20 ppg), so perhaps they were expected to shoulder the majority of the load.

As a sophomore, Davis took a whopping 645 shots - nearly 300 more than #2 Whiteside. She was clearly a volume shooter, hitting only 36%, and only 29% of her 235 three point attempts. For reference, that's more shots than Kelsey Mitchell took last year, and people deride Mitchell for being a gunner. But Mitchell made a far superior 45% of her shots, and 40% of her three point shots.

The previous year, Davis and Marshall did take the same number of shots, but Marshall made 48% of hers, while Davis made only 38% of hers. In 32 games, Davis also had only 35 assists, compared to 96 for Marshall. Meanwhile Davis had 103 turnovers. (105 turnovers as a sophomore.)

Tiffany Mitchell led SCar with 405 shots last year. I can't think of anyone who's played for Staley who has chucked it up at a pace anything close to that of Davis.

Davis has never seen a shot she didn't like. Making them is a different story.

And Whiteside took some 260 shots more than the #2 shooter on her team last season, after Davis left them. Pretty much twice as many attempts as the #2 shooter for them. So I don't know what the system calls for with their team, or what the situation was at the time when Davis was with them. The fact that Davis took a lot of shots may not have had a lot to do with Davis being Davis.

But you even touch on the fact that Dawn Staley's teams do not have offense funneled through one player, even when the depth of talent was low. It didn't when Bone was a part of the team. It didn't really when Mitchell was shooting overall at a .500+ clip, or shooting 3s at a .400+ clip. And it most likely won't with Wilson either if the rest of the team performs like it's expected to. Davis will have to share the ball, and I think she should know that by now....

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/20/16 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

But you even touch on the fact that Dawn Staley's teams do not have offense funneled through one player, even when the depth of talent was low. It didn't when Bone was a part of the team. It didn't really when Mitchell was shooting overall at a .500+ clip, or shooting 3s at a .400+ clip. And it most likely won't with Wilson either if the rest of the team performs like it's expected to. Davis will have to share the ball, and I think she should know that by now....

hmmm. I thought it all funneled thru Wilson last year even with Mitchell who should have been getting more touches so I expect it to be be ALL Wilson again this year... for better or worse. If they actually share the ball, they would probably be much better.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/20/16 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

hmmm. I thought it all funneled thru Wilson last year even with Mitchell who should have been getting more touches so I expect it to be be ALL Wilson again this year... for better or worse. If they actually share the ball, they would probably be much better.

No. Mitchell took about 20 more shots. The fact was the offense was more one-dimensional than the staff had hoped it would be: Imovbioh wasn't the offensive contributor that she was while at UVA that most hoped, and White never developed and eventually transferred out. It ended up being the Mitchell-Wilson-Coates show primarily last season, which was a return to the format USC had for 2013-14, which was Mitchell-Welch-Ibiam OR Coates: collapse defensively onto the post players and force the perimeter players (minus Mitchell) to play a larger role in games than they were accustomed to playing. More often than not they weren't able to, and the offense as a whole dragged down to a crawl for large portions of games.

At least in 2014-15 they had those 3 plus Welch and Ibiam who had reduced roles but were capable of stepping up and impacting if not dominating games for certain periods of time. Last yr they were gone and no one else stepped up to take their place.

Of course a lot of the offense will go through Aja Wilson next season. To think otherwise would be foolish. But even so she won't (hopefully) be taking twice as many shot attempts as the next Gamecock on a roster that includes Coates, Davis, and Gray where all 4 will be able to be on the floor at the same time, or the Gamecocks will be in trouble probably. I feel the same can be said of Davis or anyone else on the team....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/20/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

It ended up being the Mitchell-Wilson-Coates show primarily last season

I though they were most effective when it was dominated by those three, and that things went to hell when Roy or Cueves or Dozier started shooting.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/20/16 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our next poll should be when will all these xfers try to jump to the pros?

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/20/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

I though they were most effective when it was dominated by those three, and that things went to hell when Roy or Cueves or Dozier started shooting.

True. But we were even more effective when our role players actually showed up for games and performed their "roles".

See the SC vs. Kentucky game in last season's SEC Tournament for an example of South Carolina clicking on all cylinders. That's how good they could've been all year.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 09/20/16 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who was the last SEC team standing last year?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 09/20/16 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Yes, those 3 were our 3 best players last year, so when it came down to them, our team played its best. But both Wilson and Coates play mostly in the post and can both be suffocated at the same time by defenses that squeeze and blanket the paint. They force both to have to fight through the bodies and arms to get points and rebounds, which tires them out and adds up the fouls if they have to do it all game long. The guards would have to find ways to pass to them over and around those arms which often resulted in turnovers. When they did get the balls they then had to execute their post moves or drives to the basket with one defender posting them up and 1-2 others in front clawing at the ball, or one sneaking in behind and drawing a charge when all our girls did was turn around in place.

Mitchell was always a strong perimeter shooter especially from the 3-pt arc, but her senior year she struggled there as much as she had since her freshman year. But we needed 1-2 more players on the perimeter that would consistently draw those defenders out of the paint to free up Wilson and Coates more, while also generating more points from the perimeter as well.

I'm not just talking about winning games: Wilson, Coates, and Mitchell were obviously good enough on their own to lead the team to an undefeated SEC season and into the NCAAT. I'm talking about if the team wants to achieve extended success beyond that, like contending for the NC. They are going to need more balanced offensive contribution from the rest of the team....

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/23/16 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a given that Wilson, Coates, Gray and Davis are all going to score. The key to this team contending for the NC is getting either Cuevas-Moore and/or Tyasha Harris to manage all that talent and be able to run those 4 as a cohesive unit. Also, Staley's management of Wilson and Coates' minutes will be a huge factor. If Harrigan isn't ready to play, they're gonna have to play small ball any time either of those 2 leave the floor. They literally have no other options in the post.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 09/23/16 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I think it's a given that Wilson, Coates, Gray and Davis are all going to score. The key to this team contending for the NC is getting either Cuevas-Moore and/or Tyasha Harris to manage all that talent and be able to run those 4 as a cohesive unit. Also, Staley's management of Wilson and Coates' minutes will be a huge factor. If Harrigan isn't ready to play, they're gonna have to play small ball any time either of those 2 leave the floor. They literally have no other options in the post.

SC will play a lot of small ball this year.. Coates and Wilson may start games together but it's highly unlikely they play long stretches together like they could in the past when SC was able to bring waves of players 6'0 and taller off the bench.. Wilson at 6'5" will have to play more center than she likes and Kaela Davis at 6'2 will probably play more inside at PF than she prefers. Harrigan will have to grow up quick. She's going to get a lot more playing time than the typical freshmen..

SC first rose to prominence a few years ago off of teams that played small ball so this isn't a completely new style of play here. The difference now is that SC has more guards that can score on the perimeter and that may turn out to be a positive for Coates and Wilson..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: