RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Dominates the Big 12?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the Big 12 Regular Season?
Oklahoma
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Baylor
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
Texas
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
[b]OKLAHOMA[/b]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
West Virginia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Iowa State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Sooners
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kansas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
K-State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TCU
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Oklahoma (state)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Texas Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sherri Coale
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:10 am    ::: Who Dominates the Big 12? Reply Reply with quote

Lots of changes in the Big 12....who's got your bet?

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder...did a Sooners fan create this poll? If the Oklahoma votes are split between options I could see the Pokes beating them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This strikes me as not quite as big a gap between the top two and everyone else as in the B10, and more of a gap than in the ACC.

To me the wild card in this one is in how many games will Texas's huge talent gap over everyone but Baylor be squandered through questionable coaching.

I don't see Texas beating out Baylor for the top spot.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went with Baylor but The two teams I will follow will be WV and TT. Carey lost Holmes but utilizing a lot of newbies last season exceeded expectations and perhaps laid the groundwork for a good run for the near future. Texas Tech is trying to rebuild and getting looks by some solid recruits. Can they come back from the edge?

Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I wonder...did a Sooners fan create this poll? If the Oklahoma votes are split between options I could see the Pokes beating them.

Umm....it looks like a FOX News Poll to ME....."Fair and Balanced". Cool

PostPosted: 09/02/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I figured this just reflected B12 expansion. Very Happy

Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:

....speaking of which: has anyone heard any more on that? I know there's nothing enacted for this season, but I thought there was some idle chatter on that. I don't do twitter or any wbb site but for espn, so I'm out of that loop.

Anyways: My "For Real" prognostication? You'll notice there's 2 titles here, on the thread itself, and on the poll: one to name a Dominator, one to name a Season Conference Title. To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced anyone will utterly dominate [See: UConn, AAC], but I'm thinking TX, Baylor, OK, and WV will be the top 4.

Much depends on the impact incoming freshmen can make; Baylor has the #1 seeded incoming freshman, and TX has the 2 & 6-ranked players coming in. OK has 6'9" Mulkey joining. WV only has three 3-star players coming in, but NEVER count them out of anything.

Who will win the conference? Who's the deepest, healthiest team in March, is probably the best metric I can come up with. As for me, with all her seniors and juniors, I'm going to give OK the vote here and pray hard. Cool

PostPosted: 09/02/16 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:

....speaking of which: has anyone heard any more on that? I know there's nothing enacted for this season, but I thought there was some idle chatter on that. I don't do twitter or any wbb site but for espn, so I'm out of that loop.

Anyways: My "For Real" prognostication? You'll notice there's 2 titles here, on the thread itself, and on the poll: one to name a Dominator, one to name a Season Conference Title. To be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced anyone will utterly dominate [See: UConn, AAC], but I'm thinking TX, Baylor, OK, and WV will be the top 4.

Much depends on the impact incoming freshmen can make; Baylor has the #1 seeded incoming freshman, and TX has the 2 & 6-ranked players coming in. OK has 6'9" Mulkey joining. WV only has three 3-star players coming in, but NEVER count them out of anything.

Who will win the conference? Who's the deepest, healthiest team in March, is probably the best metric I can come up with. As for me, with all her seniors and juniors, I'm going to give OK the vote here and pray hard. Cool

Well, reportedly the B12 has cut the list of candidates to 11 schools - Air Force, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Colorado State, UConn, Houston, Rice, South Florida, SMU and Tulane. http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/University-of-Memphis-not-among-Big-12-expansion-finalists-ESPN-reports-392168051.html

Meanwhile in terms of dominance, I expect Baylor to continue the dominance it has had for several years.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well, reportedly the B12 has cut the list of candidates to 11 schools - Air Force, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Colorado State, UConn, Houston, Rice, South Florida, SMU and Tulane. http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/University-of-Memphis-not-among-Big-12-expansion-finalists-ESPN-reports-392168051.html

Thanks for that....I had NO idea there were that many layers to such a task as this. Nor that many of those named schools were considered academically superior to a school like Memphis. Interesting.

PostPosted: 09/03/16 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This strikes me as not quite as big a gap between the top two and everyone else as in the B10, and more of a gap than in the ACC.

To me the wild card in this one is in how many games will Texas's huge talent gap over everyone but Baylor be squandered through questionable coaching.

I agree with all of these. Texas has a TON of talent this year but Aston is going to have to change basically everything without Boyette. I think Atkins is gonna be a hell of a player (maybe Nina Davis' only competition for conference POY) and Higgs is incredibly gifted, but yeah, until they show otherwise, the Baylor machine will get my vote. I do think it's going to be as close as it's been in a while, though.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 09/03/16 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I agree with all of these. Texas has a TON of talent this year but Aston is going to have to change basically everything without Boyette. I think Atkins is gonna be a hell of a player (maybe Nina Davis' only competition for conference POY) and Higgs is incredibly gifted, but yeah, until they show otherwise, the Baylor machine will get my vote. I do think it's going to be as close as it's been in a while, though.

I think the challenge with this thinking is that Texas was smoked by Baylor three times last year, and I'm not sure that the loss of Niya Johnson will hamper the Baylor machine all that much. I think the loss of Imani Boyette is a far greater challenge for Texas than the one Baylor is facing this season. We'll have to see how the season unfolds for the Longhorns.

newkid

PostPosted: 09/06/16 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I think the challenge with this thinking is that Texas was smoked by Baylor three times last year, and I'm not sure that the loss of Niya Johnson will hamper the Baylor machine all that much. I think the loss of Imani Boyette is a far greater challenge for Texas than the one Baylor is facing this season. We'll have to see how the season unfolds for the Longhorns.

A lot will depend on how much freshman power forward Joyner Holmes can contribute and how quickly.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/06/16 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

newkid wrote:
A lot will depend on how much freshman power forward Joyner Holmes can contribute and how quickly.

Obviously, incoming freshmen can make huge differences. In the Big 12, Baylor certainly has the best incoming group. TX's would be next best, and Oklahoma's close behind. Interestingly, TX-Tech, WVU, and TCU should also get some help in their freshmen.

I'm thinking back to how Baylor suffered its first loss when Niya was out--I know Kim will be well-prepared to fill that void, but....they are not invincible. I just hope no team runs the table* in the Big 12, and that there are lots of very competitive games.

*Oklahoma excepted. Cool

PostPosted: 09/06/16 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had great hopes for Kelsey Lang but she seemed to regress last year. Maybe without Boyette, she will shine again. I assume Jatarie White will be sitting out this year but she should help in practice.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 09/07/16 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I had great hopes for Kelsey Lang but she seemed to regress last year. Maybe without Boyette, she will shine again. I assume Jatarie White will be sitting out this year but she should help in practice.

Yes, if K-Lang is back to her old sophomore-self, she'll be All-Big12 material. She's had the time to recuperate from her injuries, and to add that 'maturity' of gameness she was missing last year. Their frontcourt should be the Big12's best.

PostPosted: 09/07/16 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes, if K-Lang is back to her old sophomore-self, she'll be All-Big12 material. She's had the time to recuperate from her injuries, and to add that 'maturity' of gameness she was missing last year. Their frontcourt should be the Big12's best.

Better than Baylor?

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 09/07/16 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Better than Baylor?

Most would probably argue NOT better than Baylor's, but I'm projecting the idea (see above) that Lang will be her senior best, and if so, then? Yeah. Kalani Brown and Mompremier are NO slouches, tho, and who knows what the freshmen will bring (Cox/Baylor, Holmes/TX) but I'll be very interested to see how that plays out.

By the way, I'm figuring Nina Davis will be playing at the 3 this year, so I didn't factor her into that thinking. Razz

PostPosted: 09/09/16 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor will find out if freshman Juicy Landrum can run the point. If not, then Alexis Jones and Kristy Wallace, both shooting guards, will have to bring the ball down. Jones will go off for 30+ a few times this season. Baylor will do okay in the paint. There will be some strong talent sitting on the bench as only five are allowed on the floor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: