RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who wins the B1G regular season title?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the 2016 B1G regular season?
Maryland
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
The Ohio State
60%
 60%  [ 20 ]
Someone else.
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/29/16 10:07 pm    ::: Who wins the B1G regular season title? Reply Reply with quote

The league announced the conference schedule today, reduced from 18 games to 16.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082916aaa.html

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/29/16 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland has to play at tOSU. That makes it tough, but tOSU always finds a way to stumble elsewhere....

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/30/16 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they had a home-and-home I could see them tying for the championship with 1 loss each, I think they are that far ahead of the rest of the league. On one hand you have 2 of the best seniors in the country with a bunch of really talented underclassmen, and on the other hand you have the best guard and the arguably the best frontcourt rotation. That game could decide which team gets a 1 seed; I'm giving it to the Buckeyes.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/30/16 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for all the choices. Confused

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/30/16 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Indiana could lead the "second tier" in the conference. Lead by Tyra Buss, the Hoosiers return most of their contributors from last years team that finished 12-6 in the B1G. And they add Amber Deane from Dayton and Tia Elbert from Marquette.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/31/16 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I think Indiana could lead the "second tier" in the conference. Lead by Tyra Buss, the Hoosiers return most of their contributors from last years team that finished 12-6 in the B1G. And they add Amber Deane from Dayton and Tia Elbert from Marquette.

I would put Northwestern in that second tier as well. They had a bad season last year, but bring back some key players. Nia Coffey is one of the top players in the nation and is rarely spoken about.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/31/16 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern 's problem is that they simply don't have enough top tier players. Other teams have a player as good as Coffey but have a better supporting cast and more depth.

NW seems pretty comparable to last year and they might get a couple more wins but .500 in conference seems about the ceiling.

MSU, Purdue, IU and potentially PSU seem to me likely to be the second tier, but regardless of who is next, the dropoff after the top two teams is immense. If PSU can finally avoid the injury bug, they actually have a lot of talent.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/01/16 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McKweon is also a terrible coach, but there are many of those in the League. Art is right, recruiting quality depth is something that only Maryland and TheOhio State seem to be able to do. im curious to see what Tsipis can do at Wisconsin. Bringing inEast Coast coaches has t brought success to Michigan and Northwestern and Stollings isn't doing a great job at keeping Minnesota kids at home.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/01/16 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not arguing ... why is McKeown an awful coach?

PostPosted: 09/01/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a tough conference...........Last year my Buckeyes first regular season game was MSU in Columbus and it took a 15 point 4th quarter by Kelsey (29 by the team), to pull it out.......We were as healthy and as deep as we would be all season, yet we were lucky to win it.

Our last regular season game was also against MSU. We lost in a triple overtime game after losing just 3 days before @ Minnesota in another overtime game..........we were not as healthy and certainly not deep.

Oh yes, we had beaten Maryland twice during the season without much trouble.

We lost in the BIG tourney to MSU by 19 points...........depth was a sad joke.

The point is, for ANY team to win the BIG, they must remain moderately healthy and have some quality depth.

Not news to any of you, I am sure, but it's been tOSU's problem for many, many, years. We hope like hell, the depth problem may be at an end.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/01/16 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSU likely will not be as good this year as last. Last year was probably towards the top of their bell curve.

Compared to last year, my take is that Maryland will likely not be quite as good, OhSt will be somewhat better, but the gap between those two and the rest will be even larger than it has been. Nebraska, Rutgers, MSU - potential competitors - are all headed downwards. PSU and Purdue are headed upwards but aren't close yet. IU is doing well for IU but is in some respects like NW - they don't have enough players or depth to be a serious threat and that's not really likely to change. Minn had its 15 minutes of fame. Iowa is, well, Iowa. They'll have a nice season, beat some people and make the tournament. I think Tsipis is a good coach, but it's going to take several years, and while he'll make Wis better, it's doubtful they'll ever really be great. Ill is a complete mess. After four years, Barnes Arico is still mired in mediocrity. Compare that to McGuff's first three years. How much longer is she going to be able to live off the "they were bad, she's building" excuses? Color me underwhelmed about Mich.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/01/16 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Not arguing ... why is McKeown an awful coach?

I've always thought he did a decent job with what he has. He doesn't tend to get the best of the best, but always seems to be competitive with the athletes he has.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta love Ohio State's chances this year. I'm going to be very interested to see who can scrap their way out of the cellar, and who will rule the middle of the pack. I'm also afraid Nebraska will take on the trajectory of a lead balloon. Confused

PostPosted: 09/03/16 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm betting Illini maintain their stranglehold on the basement.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/04/16 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I'm betting Illini maintain their stranglehold on the basement.

I'm in definite agreement with that. I'll be interested to see what my alma mater, Wisconsin, does with Tsipis at the helm--mindful as always that it takes 3 years to build a team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: