RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who starts for your team? Early pre-season guesses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 08/15/16 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Here is my crack at UCONN, which should scare absolutely nobody! What a far cry from 2015-2016.

PG: Chong
SG: Nurse
SF: KLS
PF: Collier
C: Butler

By mid season:
PG: Dangerfield

If we go super small and run, run, run.....replace Butler with Gabby Williams.

And there are 5 players on the team that started games last year so it's not as desperate as some would think. Both Chong and Butler dealt with injuries. Chong a chronic leg tendon and Butler a finger that kept her out of practice and games till mid December. If they are healthy, either or both could start. This isn't last year. There's 90 minutes of playing time to replace. If UConn is going to challenge for a title they need both to contribute a lot more, and by a lot more I don't mean as much as the 3 departed AA's. UConn can still win it all without approaching last year's level of play. But without the 3 point shooting of Chong and the physical presence of Butler it is a lot less likely. Samuelson can't survive an entire season in the post and Williams, despite her uber-athleticism, is simply too small to anchor the paint. Butler doesn't need to score much more than 8-10/g but she needs to be able to stay in the game and bang in the post and hold on to rebounds.

Who starts will be decided in October and November in practice. I'd guess that Nurse, Collier and Lou are locks. Williams is good enough to start but if Chong and Butler are healthy and able then I see Geno keeping Williams as the 6th man if possible.

mred

PostPosted: 08/15/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State:

ISU had only two seniors depart from last season (starting guard Kidd Blaskowsky and backup post Maddy Baier), so there's solid experience returning. ISU's biggest problem last year was roster depth: Fernstrom transferred at semester and several other players missed time due to injury. Consequently, the team seemed completely worn out by the end of the year.

Likely Starters:
PG Jadda Buckley (rs jr) -- lock
SG Bridget Carleton (soph) -- lock
F Seanna Johnson (sr) -- lock
F Heather Bowe (rs sr from Vandy)
P Meredith Burkhall (soph) -- lock

TT Starks (rs fr) will likely back up Buckley.
Emily Durr (jr) can back up anywhere from 1-4 and may start instead of Bowe.
Claire Ricketts (rs soph) is the backup at post

ISU has four incoming recruits, and all are a bit under-the radar (three of the four are international). Two are PGs, one is a wing, and one is a post. I think Buckley is more effective when not running point, so I wouldn't be heartbroken if Starks or one of the incoming players took over the starting PG spot and Buckley moved to SG (where she'd still likely run the offense on occasion).

I wouldn't be shocked if one of the incoming freshmen started instead of Bowe, but Bowe does have the advantage of having been on campus since January.

SCGamecock

PostPosted: 08/16/16 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Mississippi State.

Return last years starting lineup.

G. Morgan Williams
G. Dominique Dillingham
F. Victoria Vivians
F Ketara Chapel
C Chinwe Okorie.

key reserves are Teaira McCowan, Breanna Richardson, Blair Schafer, and OK State transfer RoShunda Johnson.

The defense is the squads forte and if they can get McCowan healthy/conditioned that aspect could be even stronger. Also, Johnson allows Schaefer to put a taller point guard in the game as Williams, for all her moxie, is easy to shoot over.

Offensively, it's all about Vivians who has the ability to score from a number of moves but who isn't efficient. Need to diversify the offense to put other in position to help out instead of just passing it to Vivians

You don't think McCowan will start? I think she has the potential to vie with Anigwe for "top center in the country". McCowan is remarkably physically imposing and yet quite athletic, and you can't teach that.

If she doesn't step up as reflected by starting, then Miss St will remain an also ran. If she does step up, then they are potentially a top ten team. I think she's a difference maker and the key to how good Miss St can be.

McCowan could take on the starting center spot for Miss State and depending how quickly she aligns with Schafers defense, she might have that role from the start of the season. I didn't see anything in her play from last season to indicate she would be Center of the Year, at least not next year. I agree that she is physically imposing. Based on last year, tho it's hard to gauge her potential.

As to Mississippi State being a Top Ten team next year, lots of pieces in place but I still can't get past scoring only 9 points in a half in the tourney.

McCowan is VERY imposing. I think she's about a year away from being where she needs to be. From what I saw last year, she needs lots of improvement offensively and as far as conditioning..

If she gets her conditioning up to par and really improves her inside scoring then MSU will have a true terror on their hands and dominate the paint during the post-Alaina Coates/A'ja Wilson years in the SEC.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/18/16 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercer returns all five starters (and every player who averaged more than 15 mpg) from last year's 24 win team. Expectations are high for the Teddy Bears.

PostPosted: 09/02/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James Madison to start off the season with:

Logan Reynolds
Precious Hall
Aneah Young
Tasia Butler
Kayla Cooper-Williams

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/02/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
James Madison to start off the season with:

Logan Reynolds
Precious Hall
Aneah Young
Tasia Butler
Kayla Cooper-Williams

You have Da'Lishia Griffin coming off the bench? REALLY? I bet Coach O doesn't.

PostPosted: 09/02/16 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She will start, I thought we were talking at the beginning of the season.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/02/16 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Here is my crack at UCONN, which should scare absolutely nobody! What a far cry from 2015-2016.

PG: Chong

By mid season:
PG: Dangerfield

If we go super small and run, run, run.....replace Butler with Gabby Williams.

First, I believe that UCONN will be better than most people give them credit for. Secondly, I agree with you for the most part, but substitute Williams for Chong and move Nurse to the point. Geno's mantra has always been defense first and with that in mind, Williams will start over Chong and Nurse is more than capable of handling the point. Chong has yet to show in her senior year, that she is ready to take the reins of this team and I doubt she will. Nurse is ready to be the team leader.

What does that mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: