RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fair Punishment for DUI Arrest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sox77

PostPosted: 11/17/11 4:50 pm    ::: Fair Punishment for DUI Arrest Reply Reply with quote

What is a fair punishment if your head coach got arrested for a DUI. Of course, every case should be judged on a case by case basis. But, if it's a first time offense and the DUI arrest was being pulled over or while at a DUI checkpoint, and nobody was hurt or killed, I think being suspended without pay for a few games (2-5 games, no matter when those games are. None of this BS of coaching during conference or NCAA tourney and serving suspension next season) is fair.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/17/11 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First DUI offense should get mandatory 30 days in jail. Second offense should be a felony with at least a year in prison.

PostPosted: 11/17/11 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am wondering why this topic is on the women's college basketball folder. Or did I miss something here?

I know that a Missouri football coach was cited for DUI yesterday, or is there another case involving a women's sports team?

Sox77

PostPosted: 11/17/11 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I am wondering why this topic is on the women's college basketball folder. Or did I miss something here?

I know that a Missouri football coach was cited for DUI yesterday, or is there another case involving a women's sports team?

About ten years ago, Jeff Mittie at TCU, got a DUI and was never suspended or received any punishment.

Yes, the Pinkel arrest got me thinking what would happen if a WBB head coach got busted. If people don't think it can't happen in WBB, they need to get a clue.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/17/11 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sox77 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

About ten years ago, Jeff Mittie at TCU, got a DUI and was never suspended or received any punishment.

Yes, the Pinkel arrest got me thinking what would happen if a WBB head coach got busted. If people don't think it can't happen in WBB, they need to get a clue.

Well, okay. And wasn't there an incident a few years ago involving a women's head coach and her assistant getting DUI? I don't remember the school, but I think it may have been in the South. South Carolina?

EDIT - CORRECTION: Never mind, it was an assistant coach from the University of Maine Black Bears team doing the driving. This was when their head coach was Ann McInerney, Cindy Blodgett's predecessor.

Sox77

PostPosted: 11/18/11 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

During the final days of the Wagner reign of error & terror at Oregon St., one of her assistants got a DUI. But, that was after the season and that entire staff would be gone, so it wasn't any issue.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 11/18/11 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
First DUI offense should get mandatory 30 days in jail. Second offense should be a felony with at least a year in prison.

Add suspension of license for 6 months.

Second offense, permanent suspension.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if a head coach in college is arrested for a DUI they should be fired immediately from the school and banned from coaching in college altoghter. To me, a DUI arrest might as well be called an attempted murder arrest. There's no difference IMO.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martini Man wrote:
I think if a head coach in college is arrested for a DUI they should be fired immediately from the school and banned from coaching in college altoghter. To me, a DUI arrest might as well be called an attempted murder arrest. There's no difference IMO.

Should the same apply for a college professor? It should!!

DUI is the samething as pointing a load gun at every car and pedestrian that drunk driver passed by, before being stopped.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/11 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
pilight wrote:

Add suspension of license for 6 months.

Second offense, permanent suspension.

Suspending someone's license is a waste of time. It doesn't stop them from driving. 99% of them drive home from the suspension hearing.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sox77 wrote:
Martini Man wrote:

Should the same apply for a college professor? It should!!

DUI is the samething as pointing a load gun at every car and pedestrian that drunk driver passed by, before being stopped.

Yes. It should apply to everyone. How many people do drink drivers kill every year. And yet people get away with drunk driving all the time with just a little slap on the wrists. It's pathetic really.

PostPosted: 11/18/11 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If players get booted from programs for DUI's or even just drinking I think the coaches should be held to the same rules and be kicked out.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/20/11 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Such sentencing, especially given today's .10% BAC limit, would be an outrage.

Most reactionaries on this subject- MADD, et al, for example, have a personal "drunk driver" horror story.

Do you?

PostPosted: 11/20/11 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Most reactionaries on this subject- MADD, et al, for example, have a personal "drunk driver" horror story.

Do you?

"Reactionaries"?

That's a sad commentary on you and your belief system. Do you believe you need to lose a family member or friend to feel strongly about a society that coddles and encourages drunks? If people actually gave a shit, a lot fewer idiots would be on the road killing folks. But no, it's an "outrage" that people want the punishment to fit the crime.

In 2009, there were 10,839 fatalities in crashes involving a driver with a BAC of .08 or higher – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

Traffic fatalities in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes decreased by 7.4 percent from 11,711 in 2008 to 10,839 in 2009. The alcohol-impaired-driving fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled (VMT) decreased to 0.36 in 2009 from 0.39 in 2008. An average of one alcohol-impaired-driving fatality occurred every 48 minutes in 2009.

Of the 10,839 people who died in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in 2009, 7,281 (67%) were drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher. The remaining fatalities consisted of 2,891 (27%) motor vehicle occupants and 667 (6%) nonoccupants.

In 2009, a total of 1,314 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes. Of those 1,314 fatalities, 181 (14%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Out of those 181 deaths, 92 (51%) were occupants of a vehicle with a driver who had a BAC level of .08 or higher, and another 27 children (15%) were pedestrians or pedalcyclists struck by drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher.

The rate of alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2009 was four times higher at night than during the day (37% versus 9%). In 2009, 16 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the week were alcohol-impaired, compared to 31 percent on weekends.

PostPosted: 11/20/11 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a civil penalty which is ajudicated. But it appears that you are asking what should the school do. Was the DUI during the course of the coaches emoplyment? What penalty does the school impose on any emplyee and or teacher.
If the school was smart they could use it to attempt to get the caoch some help keeping in mind that it could be a "one off" occurrence. good benchmark is the blood alcohol level anyone with a .18 and above is almost certainly alcoholic where a .08 cold just be a mistake

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/20/11 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Do you?

"Reactionaries"?

That's a sad commentary on you and your belief system. Do you believe you need to lose a family member or friend to feel strongly about a society that coddles and encourages drunks? If people actually gave a shit, a lot fewer idiots would be on the road killing folks. But no, it's an "outrage" that people want the punishment to fit the crime.

In 2009, there were 10,839 fatalities in crashes involving a driver with a BAC of .08 or higher – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.

Traffic fatalities in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes decreased by 7.4 percent from 11,711 in 2008 to 10,839 in 2009. The alcohol-impaired-driving fatality rate per 100 million vehicle miles traveled (VMT) decreased to 0.36 in 2009 from 0.39 in 2008. An average of one alcohol-impaired-driving fatality occurred every 48 minutes in 2009.

Of the 10,839 people who died in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in 2009, 7,281 (67%) were drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher. The remaining fatalities consisted of 2,891 (27%) motor vehicle occupants and 667 (6%) nonoccupants.

In 2009, a total of 1,314 children age 14 and younger were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes. Of those 1,314 fatalities, 181 (14%) occurred in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. Out of those 181 deaths, 92 (51%) were occupants of a vehicle with a driver who had a BAC level of .08 or higher, and another 27 children (15%) were pedestrians or pedalcyclists struck by drivers with a BAC of .08 or higher.

The rate of alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2009 was four times higher at night than during the day (37% versus 9%). In 2009, 16 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the week were alcohol-impaired, compared to 31 percent on weekends.

Thank you. I stand corrected. The .08 BAC level is even more reactionary. I forgot how ridiculous things have become.

Love the ".08 OR HIGHER" routine.

You say you want the punishment to fit the crime? That would suit me, but that's not the current reality, thanks to the reactionaries.

pilight wants jail time for a person who blows .08 at a (police state) checkpoint. Ridiculous.

Maybe some day you, MADD, and the rest of the neo-Prohibitionists will get your way.

PostPosted: 11/20/11 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Do you?

I think the BAC should be raised back up to .15%.

PostPosted: 11/20/11 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:

If the school was smart they could use it to attempt to get the caoch some help keeping in mind that it could be a "one off" occurrence. good benchmark is the blood alcohol level anyone with a .18 and above is almost certainly alcoholic where a .08 cold just be a mistake

12 years ago my sister was run down and killed by what you would call DUI anyway this person was slightly over the limit at the time in Belgium. The long and short of it is the driver got away with his offense because his defense council pleaded along the lines "it could have been a a mistake" bla bla etc.

Guess what five years later, the same person killed somebody else while DUI. Now the Irony of the case is the the person in question is "school teacher" (not any more because he is in prison because he was five times over the legal limit).

All I am saying if you want to drink then dont's drive and if you decided to drive and get caught, then face the consequences what ever they are.

basketballjunkie

PostPosted: 08/03/16 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sox77 wrote:
StevenHW wrote:

You are mentioning Jeff Mittie...who seems to escape trouble every time. He also had a quiet scandal where he was sleeping with a player/assistant...and even now the same rumors persist about him at KSU with a different assistant. Not to mention the quiet whispers of racism after he left TCU (they were glad to see him go) and likewise at KSU. He apparently is a real gem.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/03/16 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Do you?

"Reactionaries"?

So should texting while driving result in a mandatory 30 day prison term?

Reading your post it seems that you have a specific anger towards alcohol. Certainly, alcohol consumption reduces someone's ability to drive a car but so does cellphone usage, applying makeup while driving, drinking coffee and endless other activities. If you are to be consistent then you should favor jail time for any activity that distracts a person from driving but I doubt you feel that way. Speeding is a major cause of traffic deaths. Should anyone caught speeding also be jailed?

Personally, I think if a person has an accident in which they are at fault, the punishment should be the same whether or not they were sober. Personal responsibility should entail more than just being able to say you were sober at the time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: