RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016-2017 Season Injury and Attrition Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/01/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I absolutely KNEW Ekmark would not last at UConn. She never seemed a good fit there from the beginning. I had questions about her ethic, too, with dropping out of school her senior year rather than support her team.....it seemed questionable to me because much of the team that had been big winners had graduated and she would have had to be the leader of a more inexperienced team and possibly they wouldn't be big winners....it seemed like a spoiled-brat move, but maybe it was parent driven. (Seems like she has a stage daddy.) Anyway, it's likely a good get for ASU and hopefully Charli can make her into a team-oriented player.

And as far as her leaving her HS after her junior year, it seems a bit odd that some of the same people who claim that college players have a right to act in their own self-interest by transferring think that high school players have a duty to stay 4 years out of some loyalty to their alma maters.

A fair point, but I still didn't like it. You play on a high school team that wins the national title, and then a bunch of kids graduate and you decide to sit out your senior year.

My feeling is that it was backing down from a challenge rather than doing what was best for your career -- and wouldn't it be better to play than not play, especially since that means there would be no competitive basketball for more than a year before UConn's first game?

Again, though, that was the family's choice and that's fine. It just didn't pass the smell test for me ...

Not exactly no competitive BB. She played with er brother's AAU team. I'm sure she got more out of that than playing girl's HS ball, which with a few exceptions does little to prepare an elite player for D1.

Your argument makes valid points but isn't HS BB filled with players who leave their HS team after a year or two to accept a spot on a private HS team that plays a national schedule? Don't players who are on a local AAU team leave if a better offer comes from an elite team? The team Ekmark would have been on would have done nothing for her development. It would be like asking a math prodigy to spend their senior year in a remedial math class. What challenge? Nurse-maiding a bunch of newbies? That is a job for a coach, not a player with higher aspirations. St Mary's, I suspect, is a school that recruits its players from the jurisdictions of public schools. Did they ever back off a player because they thought she should be loyal to her district team? Private schools have been acting in their own self-interest by luring public school players since time immemorial. One can question in hindsight if deciding to be home-schooled was a wise decision on her part but not the ethics of it.

The only thing I question is her decision to go to a man to man defense team rather than to a zone-based program.

Was DeShields and the rest of that UNC class unethical because they abandoned their program after one year instead of accepting the "challenge" of staying?? I don't think so.

Bad and flawed analogy along with a false statement.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/06/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nebraska picks up UMass transfer Bria Stallworth.

PostPosted: 07/09/16 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'Queen Hayes(Ole Miss) transfers to EKU.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/nba/article88441372.html

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 07/09/16 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rumour on the Card Board that Lili Thompson has quit the team, unverified as of yet--but wondering if anyone else has heard the same.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/09/16 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Rumour on the Card Board that Lili Thompson has quit the team, unverified as of yet--but wondering if anyone else has heard the same.

aargh. no, I hadn't heard. hope it's not true. I'll poke around and see what comes up.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 07/09/16 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

She is to be headed into her senior year, right? I certainly hope it's not true. That would be a loss, both the Cardinal and to the game.

PostPosted: 07/10/16 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I absolutely KNEW Ekmark would not last at UConn. She never seemed a good fit there from the beginning. I had questions about her ethic, too, with dropping out of school her senior year rather than support her team.....it seemed questionable to me because much of the team that had been big winners had graduated and she would have had to be the leader of a more inexperienced team and possibly they wouldn't be big winners....it seemed like a spoiled-brat move, but maybe it was parent driven. (Seems like she has a stage daddy.) Anyway, it's likely a good get for ASU and hopefully Charli can make her into a team-oriented player.

And as far as her leaving her HS after her junior year, it seems a bit odd that some of the same people who claim that college players have a right to act in their own self-interest by transferring think that high school players have a duty to stay 4 years out of some loyalty to their alma maters.

A fair point, but I still didn't like it. You play on a high school team that wins the national title, and then a bunch of kids graduate and you decide to sit out your senior year.

My feeling is that it was backing down from a challenge rather than doing what was best for your career -- and wouldn't it be better to play than not play, especially since that means there would be no competitive basketball for more than a year before UConn's first game?

Again, though, that was the family's choice and that's fine. It just didn't pass the smell test for me ...

Not exactly no competitive BB. She played with er brother's AAU team. I'm sure she got more out of that than playing girl's HS ball, which with a few exceptions does little to prepare an elite player for D1.

Your argument makes valid points but isn't HS BB filled with players who leave their HS team after a year or two to accept a spot on a private HS team that plays a national schedule? Don't players who are on a local AAU team leave if a better offer comes from an elite team? The team Ekmark would have been on would have done nothing for her development. It would be like asking a math prodigy to spend their senior year in a remedial math class. What challenge? Nurse-maiding a bunch of newbies? That is a job for a coach, not a player with higher aspirations. St Mary's, I suspect, is a school that recruits its players from the jurisdictions of public schools. Did they ever back off a player because they thought she should be loyal to her district team? Private schools have been acting in their own self-interest by luring public school players since time immemorial. One can question in hindsight if deciding to be home-schooled was a wise decision on her part but not the ethics of it.

The only thing I question is her decision to go to a man to man defense team rather than to a zone-based program.

Was DeShields and the rest of that UNC class unethical because they abandoned their program after one year instead of accepting the "challenge" of staying?? I don't think so.

Boys AAU Basketball starts in March and ends in July and doesn't include seniors, unless she was playing with middle school boys but that probably wouldn't have been more competitive.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/10/16 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Boys AAU Basketball starts in March and ends in July and doesn't include seniors, unless she was playing with middle school boys but that probably wouldn't have been more competitive.

I am pretty sure you are correct on the Boys AAU Basketball. I doubt she played with any team but may have run some practices or open gyms. Nothing she would have done with any JHS age kids would have been on par with what she would have seen at D1 ball, especially at UConn. Most states, if not all, have HS non compete clauses that if you sport is "in season" you cant compete on a club team at the same time. Thats why you dont see HS age AAU teams between Nov and March. When I heard that story, years ago, I thought whats that all about.

Phil

PostPosted: 07/12/16 8:15 am    ::: Szczepanski Reply Reply with quote

Baylor sophomore center Justis Szczepanski has been dismissed from the Lady Bears basketball team.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/sophomore-c-szczepanski-dismissed-from-baylor-women-s-team/article_50552081-2c34-5140-8fc5-ee9d9b3eccf9.html

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/16 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re the Lili Thompson rumor:

Stanford SID says they have heard nothing. Didn't say, however, that she was definitely coming back.

PostPosted: 07/15/16 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan's Emoni Jackson is now listed as Undergraduate Student Assistant on the 2016-17 roster. Emoni got a late start to her freshman season due to a high school injury and was just beginning to contribute that year in U-M's WNIT run. She was unable to play her sophomore year due to a knee injury.

Durantula

PostPosted: 07/17/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was rumored earlier in the offseason but Tennessee's Andraya Carter may not be playing this upcoming season. Also, Tennessee has a JuCo signee that will redshirt, plus point guard T'ea Cooper is recovering from an injury.

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/womens-basketball/lady-vols-offseason-not-routine-because-of-pat-summitts-death--37b40895-2000-0e1d-e053-0100007f5d36-387117441.html

Lockwood said guards Meme Jackson and Te'a Cooper both are sidelined with knee issues. He indicated that the coaching staff is concerned about Cooper's condition.

Junior college signee Cheridene Green has a torn anterior cruciate knee ligament and will be redshirted next season.

Lockwood also said guard Andraya Carter has not joined the workouts. Warlick said last month that she didn't foresee the redshirt senior guard "making it through another year" because of knee pain.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/18/16 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Stanford SID says they have heard nothing. Didn't say, however, that she was definitely coming back.

yeah, I can't get a definitive yes or no either.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/19/16 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Some people on the Stanford board are convinced she's not coming back ... according to them, it's been known for months.

If so, the Cardinal are definitely going to take a step back.

PostPosted: 07/19/16 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Some people on the Stanford board are convinced she's not coming back ... according to them, it's been known for months.

If so, the Cardinal are definitely going to take a step back.

You mean like they did when they blew out Oregon State during one of her hiatus from the team in Corvalis LMAO.

From the boosters point of view, who have known about this for a long time, it is probably better that she is not on the team next year Wink

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/20/16 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though Thompson's counting stats were pretty good, a closer look does indicate she might not be missed that much. She was second in scoring, third in minutes, first in assists, first in steals, but she did have the most turnovers, most missed shots and a 37.5 shooting percentage.

She did, however, seem like their most athletic guard and looked like their best perimeter defender, but I didn't watch closely enough to know for sure how she rates in that regard.

PostPosted: 07/21/16 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lili is gone: http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_30153525/stanford-loses-star-guard-who-wont-return-senior

"In a potential blow to Stanford's return to the top of women's basketball, three-year starting guard Lili Thompson won't return for her senior season, the player's father told this news organization Thursday.

Greg Thompson said in a text message that his daughter will remain on scholarship and graduate with her class. But he declined further comment about a situation in which the Cardinal's second-leading scorer last season won't return to the cour
t."

Phil

PostPosted: 08/03/16 11:52 am    ::: Carter ends career Reply Reply with quote

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/08/03/tennessee-guard-andraya-carter-ends-her-playing-career-due-to-knee-injuries/

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/03/16 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Volunteer sophomore guard Tea Cooper is out for the season with a knee injury sustained at her home this summer. Big time bummer.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 08/03/16 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
And Volunteer sophomore guard Tea Cooper is out for the season with a knee injury sustained at her home this summer. Big time bummer.

We're beyond fucked. No tournament this season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/03/16 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:

Nice way to give up before the season. Sure, they only have 9 players. But they are also on a mission. Stop being a "fan on the hill".

Although G Meme Jackson also had her knee scoped this week. Hopefully she's okay by the start of the season.

PostPosted: 08/03/16 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindsay Duvall, who originally committed to the Wildcats, has changed her commit to in-state rival Louisville.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/03/16 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

Nice way to give up before the season. Sure, they only have 9 players. But they are also on a mission. Stop being a "fan on the hill".

Although G Meme Jackson also had her knee scoped this week. Hopefully she's okay by the start of the season.

I'm not saying the season is over, but the loss of two guards out sure does put a damper on the start of said season to be sure.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/03/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per CHW's press conference, Jackson is doing very well and is back working out, and Deshields is completely healthy.

I think it was obvious anyway that Tenn needed some players to really step up their game this season, and now the identity of those players has been narrowed down.

Durantula

PostPosted: 08/03/16 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Per CHW's press conference, Jackson is doing very well and is back working out, and Deshields is completely healthy.

I think it was obvious anyway that Tenn needed some players to really step up their game this season, and now the identity of those players has been narrowed down.

Who do you see getting minutes at PG when Jordan Reynolds is resting, or in foul trouble? Losing two players at the same position is tough, so I am wondering if Tennessee will have to alter any of their schemes. For instance, do you want to press as much if Reynolds is going to have to play most of the game, or do you want to conserve her energy? Cooper and Carter were both active defenders, and when you have 3 PG"s you can really pressure knowing that your players can easily get rest when another capable player enters. Right now that is more unknown. DeShields could maybe handle the ball but I feel she'd be turnover prone and maybe is better on the wing. Middleton maybe could play PG but you may want her on the wing running off screens to get open threes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: