RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Division I Committee seeks feedback on championship format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/16 4:16 pm    ::: Division I Committee seeks feedback on championship format Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2016-06-29/womens-basketball-division-i-committee-seeks-feedback

Quote:
The oversight committee, which met Monday and Tuesday in Indianapolis, wants to ascertain the membership’s and key stakeholders’ feelings about possibly playing the Women’s Final Four a week later than it is currently conducted. Timing for preliminary rounds would remain unchanged, providing a week of additional rest for the four teams advancing to the Women’s Final Four.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they do not postpone the finals by a week...we all know that teams often get rusty and are not "at their best" with more rest... and for a sport that already spans two semesters, I vote to keep the dates the same.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/30/16 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
I hope they do not postpone the finals by a week...we all know that teams often get rusty and are not "at their best" with more rest... and for a sport that already spans two semesters, I vote to keep the dates the same.

I agree.
What's the motivation for this proposal? Who thinks adding a week of dead air during the tournament is a good idea?

If they want to shift it vis the men's, they'd better shift the entire thing, not create a huge gap mid tourney.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/30/16 12:26 pm    ::: Re: Division I Committee seeks feedback on championship form Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2016-06-29/womens-basketball-division-i-committee-seeks-feedback

Quote:
The oversight committee, which met Monday and Tuesday in Indianapolis, wants to ascertain the membership’s and key stakeholders’ feelings about possibly playing the Women’s Final Four a week later than it is currently conducted. Timing for preliminary rounds would remain unchanged, providing a week of additional rest for the four teams advancing to the Women’s Final Four.

I think they should keep the top 16 seeds as hosts, have two regionals with 8 teams in each one and then have the FF in the same cities as the men. The men always play in a dome and the women can play in a smaller arena in that city. I bet a lot of people would go to the women's games.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/30/16 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NFL1 wrote:

I agree.
What's the motivation for this proposal? Who thinks adding a week of dead air during the tournament is a good idea?

If they want to shift it vis the men's, they'd better shift the entire thing, not create a huge gap mid tourney.

The motivation is explained in the article...

Quote:
The potential shift was suggested in hopes of giving the high-profile women’s event its own weekend, with the potential to attract more attendees from the NCAA membership and sponsors.

One problem with moving the whole tournament back is that coverage of Selection Monday would get buried by the first weekend of the men's tournament.

PostPosted: 06/30/16 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a golfer, but I've heard there is a major golf event (Masters?) the following week, which might be problematic for attention. That said, golf is typically day time and bball evening so maybe not an issue.

NFL1

PostPosted: 06/30/16 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final four is also usually aligned with baseball opening day, so many folks are getting out to the ball park, with TV coverage also in play! In addition to the Masters golf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: