RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016-2017 Season Injury and Attrition Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/21/16 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogechi Anyagaligbo commits to Kentucky after transferring from Stony Brook.

PostPosted: 06/21/16 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eastern Michigan adds Danielle Minott from Syracuse.

PostPosted: 06/21/16 11:34 pm    ::: Re: Kennedy Leonard from Colorado Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Kookiebean wrote:
Kennedy Leonard from Colorado listed on another site, any truth to it?

http://www.nextsportsphenom.com/NCAA-Transfers

According to her twitter account, she was apparently a Buff as recently as June 1st, as her teammate (Lauren Huggins) was washing her clothes and referred to her as "my PG".

All of her tweets show her in CU garb. And she's off to Europe to play for GB in the U-20 Euro championships.

https://twitter.com/AlexandriaE12/status/745414641954652161

PostPosted: 06/22/16 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Good get for Kentucky, and a heartbreaker for Stony Brook.

PostPosted: 06/22/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
At long last, Sabrina Ionescu has picked Oregon.

Good pickup for Nike. . .errrrr.....the Ducks.

Guess all the rumors about deals and combinations and Washington landing the equivalent of a girls Fab Five were just run of the mill internet nonsense.

I never heard anything about deals or Fab 5's, but I DID say that there were rumors that Washington was trying to hire Sabrina's AAU coach Kelly Sopak (Cal Stars), which would help them land Ionescu and Westbrook (and they snagged Romeo this summer already). Then on Monday there was this article in MaxPreps that confirmed that Sopak was offered the assistant coaching position and turned it down.

Sopak, who has coached Ionescu since the third grade and who is also her club coach, was offered an assistant's position at Washington, a Final Four team in April.

"It is always flattering and humbling when these offers are made," Sopak said. "Over the last few years I have been very fortunate to entertain the possibility to coach in college. This opportunity was special in that it was at a national championship caliber team with an incredible athletic tradition and it would have meant going home for me (Sopak is from Seattle).

"It was difficult, but after careful consideration, with support from my family, I decided to stay here in the Bay. I am excited to lead the next generation Matadors through the rebuilding process."

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/3GT0lQXC3UGqQBiZRw9grQ/national-player-of-the-year-sabrina-ionescu-signs-with-oregon.htm

Who suggested that Washington was getting a Fab 5?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/22/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Alabama center Oceana Hamilton has transferred to Northwestern

and

Drexel has dismissed Alexis Smith for unspecified violation of team rules.

PostPosted: 06/22/16 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Blair 6'6" graduate from Ohio State will play for Schneider at Kansas. Has degree and one year of eligibility remaining. Can play immediately.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/23/16 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

and

Oceana transferred to Northwestern last year after completing her freshman season at Alabama. She sat out the 2015-16 season because of transfer rules and will be eligible as a redshirt sophomore this season. Go Wildcats!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/23/16 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

and

Oceana transferred to Northwestern last year after completing her freshman season at Alabama. She sat out the 2015-16 season because of transfer rules and will be eligible as a redshirt sophomore this season. Go Wildcats!

I have no idea, then, why it appeared on my Twitter feed just yesterday. Confused

PostPosted: 06/24/16 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Bret McCormick ‏@ASGR1995 9h9 hours ago
HC Karen Astin University of Texas gets top 10 Jatarie White 6-4 post transfer from South Carolina. Played HS Providence Day NC.

Excellent move. I know she was hyped before arriving at SC, and then....nothing (much) to talk about. Hope she blossoms.

PostPosted: 06/24/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

and

I have no idea, then, why it appeared on my Twitter feed just yesterday. Confused

Weird.

Here is her page on the Northwestern website: http://www.nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4460

It lists her as a redshirt sophomore, but says that she played 2 years at Bama, which means she she is a redshirt junior this season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/24/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

and

Weird.

Here is her page on the Northwestern website: http://www.nusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4460

It lists her as a redshirt sophomore, but says that she played 2 years at Bama, which means she she is a redshirt junior this season.

It was on the feed of an otherwise *very* reliable source, too, which is what makes it so strange. Oh well.

PostPosted: 06/24/16 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FGCU signs 5'11 G Mikala McGhee, formerly of George Mason. This is a bit weird. McGhee, a first-team all-State selection in Missouri from the St. Louis area, was primarily a reserve for two seasons at Missouri State before transferring to George Mason for last season. But she did not play for the Patriots and will be eligible this season for FGCU as a redshirt junior.

PostPosted: 06/26/16 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Even 6 years of following the Ogwumike sisters has not prepared me for the linguistic challenges presented by the flow of young ladies from Nigeria. Shocked

PostPosted: 06/29/16 9:45 am    ::: Courtney Ekmark transfers from UConn to ASU. Reply Reply with quote

Courtney Ekmark transfers from UConn to ASU.

She will redshirt this year due to transfer rules, but will be eligible to play for 2 seasons starting in Fall 2017.

Coming out of high school, she was considered a bit slow of foot (I believe that Clay stated that), but very coachable, high BB IQ, and had a great shot. But her freshman year started off with a foot injury and she never really got into the rotation after that during the rest of her freshman year or her sophomore year. The minutes she was to receive her last 2 years looked to be very small, especially in her senior year where the eligibility of transfers Azura Stevens and Batouly Camara and the incoming freshman class of Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon, (and Walker?) would make it very difficult for her to get minutes at the 2-3, as Collier would hardly ever sit but could shift to the 3 to allow Stevens and Camara to get minutes, pushing Lou to the 2.

She should be a star for ASU, and of course the Valley of the Sun is her home. The only other school she considered for transfer was Stanford, where her brother will play basketball this fall.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2016/06/29/courtney-ekmark-transferring-connecticut-asu/86466116/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/29/16 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I absolutely KNEW Ekmark would not last at UConn. She never seemed a good fit there from the beginning. I had questions about her ethic, too, with dropping out of school her senior year rather than support her team.....it seemed questionable to me because much of the team that had been big winners had graduated and she would have had to be the leader of a more inexperienced team and possibly they wouldn't be big winners....it seemed like a spoiled-brat move, but maybe it was parent driven. (Seems like she has a stage daddy.) Anyway, it's likely a good get for ASU and hopefully Charli can make her into a team-oriented player.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I absolutely KNEW Ekmark would not last at UConn. She never seemed a good fit there from the beginning. I had questions about her ethic, too, with dropping out of school her senior year rather than support her team.....it seemed questionable to me because much of the team that had been big winners had graduated and she would have had to be the leader of a more inexperienced team and possibly they wouldn't be big winners....it seemed like a spoiled-brat move, but maybe it was parent driven. (Seems like she has a stage daddy.) Anyway, it's likely a good get for ASU and hopefully Charli can make her into a team-oriented player.

I wish I had your crystal ball and could "KNOW" what the future held.

I remember several posts like your's posted here when she signed with UConn. As far as I could see and read there was absolutely no problems with her in her two years at CT. She was always positive and hard-working, despite not playing. Unlike certain primadonna(s) on some other teams who sulk on the bench with towels over their heads while their team is playing, Ekmark was always involved, cheering and encouraging her teammates. And where in hell did you come up with "stage daddy"? Unlike a certain daddy of the primadonna I was referring to who liked to twitter about his daughter's coaches, Ekmark's father was conspicuous in his non-involvement.

And as far as her leaving her HS after her junior year, it seems a bit odd that some of the same people who claim that college players have a right to act in their own self-interest by transferring think that high school players have a duty to stay 4 years out of some loyalty to their alma maters.

I don't know what her motivations were in transferring but Auriemma never minces words to players and I'd speculate that he told her that she wasn't going to get much playing time and left the decision to stay or go up to her. Sadie Edwards quickly became a starter at USC and I expect that Ekmark will see plenty of playing time at ASU.

There are players who have attitude problems and hurt team chemistry. I have never seen or read even a hint that Ekmark was anything but an asset on the UConn team, on or off the court. But then, like I sad, I don't have your crystal ball so maybe you can enlighten us about things only you know. Rolling Eyes

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hereby declare the 2016-17 UCONN WCB season a success!

WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 06/29/16 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

And as far as her leaving her HS after her junior year, it seems a bit odd that some of the same people who claim that college players have a right to act in their own self-interest by transferring think that high school players have a duty to stay 4 years out of some loyalty to their alma maters.

A fair point, but I still didn't like it. You play on a high school team that wins the national title, and then a bunch of kids graduate and you decide to sit out your senior year.

My feeling is that it was backing down from a challenge rather than doing what was best for your career -- and wouldn't it be better to play than not play, especially since that means there would be no competitive basketball for more than a year before UConn's first game?

Again, though, that was the family's choice and that's fine. It just didn't pass the smell test for me ...

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

A fair point, but I still didn't like it. You play on a high school team that wins the national title, and then a bunch of kids graduate and you decide to sit out your senior year.

My feeling is that it was backing down from a challenge rather than doing what was best for your career -- and wouldn't it be better to play than not play, especially since that means there would be no competitive basketball for more than a year before UConn's first game?

Again, though, that was the family's choice and that's fine. It just didn't pass the smell test for me ...

X_______________________

After finally seeing what level of talent this player was, it was clear she was out of her league at UConn. To me it added a stink to her decision to blow off her senior year of HS, given the circumstances.

Of course, it was a choice she and her family have a right to make.

I'm eKstatic the RIGHT choice has been made, albeit 2 years late.

I can honestly say wishes do indeed come true.

PostPosted: 06/29/16 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her decision to leave before her senior year of high school was as much based on academics as athletics. I'm not going to revisit this argument just to say she made a personal choice that in no way reflects adversely on her character. JMHO. From a personal point of view, we are anticipating moving to Arizona in a little over a year, hopefully. It will be good to see her play there.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 06/29/16 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 06/29/16 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not exactly no competitive BB. She played with er brother's AAU team. I'm sure she got more out of that than playing girl's HS ball, which with a few exceptions does little to prepare an elite player for D1.

Your argument makes valid points but isn't HS BB filled with players who leave their HS team after a year or two to accept a spot on a private HS team that plays a national schedule? Don't players who are on a local AAU team leave if a better offer comes from an elite team? The team Ekmark would have been on would have done nothing for her development. It would be like asking a math prodigy to spend their senior year in a remedial math class. What challenge? Nurse-maiding a bunch of newbies? That is a job for a coach, not a player with higher aspirations. St Mary's, I suspect, is a school that recruits its players from the jurisdictions of public schools. Did they ever back off a player because they thought she should be loyal to her district team? Private schools have been acting in their own self-interest by luring public school players since time immemorial. One can question in hindsight if deciding to be home-schooled was a wise decision on her part but not the ethics of it.

The only thing I question is her decision to go to a man to man defense team rather than to a zone-based program.

Was DeShields and the rest of that UNC class unethical because they abandoned their program after one year instead of accepting the "challenge" of staying?? I don't think so.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 06/29/16 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not exactly no competitive BB. She played with er brother's AAU team. I'm sure she got more out of that than playing girl's HS ball, which with a few exceptions does little to prepare an elite player for D1.

Your argument makes valid points but isn't HS BB filled with players who leave their HS team after a year or two to accept a spot on a private HS team that plays a national schedule? Don't players who are on a local AAU team leave if a better offer comes from an elite team? The team Ekmark would have been on would have done nothing for her development. It would be like asking a math prodigy to spend their senior year in a remedial math class. What challenge? Nurse-maiding a bunch of newbies? That is a job for a coach, not a player with higher aspirations. St Mary's, I suspect, is a school that recruits its players from the jurisdictions of public schools. Did they ever back off a player because they thought she should be loyal to her district team? Private schools have been acting in their own self-interest by luring public school players since time immemorial. One can question in hindsight if deciding to be home-schooled was a wise decision on her part but not the ethics of it.

The only thing I question is her decision to go to a man to man defense team rather than to a zone-based program.

Was DeShields and the rest of that UNC class unethical because they abandoned their program after one year instead of accepting the "challenge" of staying?? I don't think so.

She seems to have a record of leaving a few teams.

However I wish her well with CTT and ASU. A fresh start, back home, might be the best thing for her.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/29/16 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

X_______________________

After finally seeing what level of talent this player was, it was clear she was out of her league at UConn. To me it added a stink to her decision to blow off her senior year of HS, given the circumstances.

Of course, it was a choice she and her family have a right to make.

I'm eKstatic the RIGHT choice has been made, albeit 2 years late.

I can honestly say wishes do indeed come true.

High school is not college. There's a BIG difference. And she could just as well have played on both her HS team *and* her brother's AAU team, no big deal. Lots of kids do. I question the "academic" aspect of the decision also. The entire thing basically stunk, for my money. Well, maybe now she has a chance to make something of herself.

PostPosted: 07/01/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly Koshuta, 6'2 F out of Vienna, VA, has transferred from VA Tech to JMU. She'll have to sit out this season and will be eligible in 2017-18 as a RS sophomore. She was a 5-star recruit and should add a lot to JMU's low post. Welcome Kelly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: