RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cost of Attendance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/19/16 5:04 pm    ::: Cost of Attendance Reply Reply with quote

I know most of the "being deal" DI schools offer COA, but not all DI schools do. I was surprised to learn, when I started following them, that JMU did not. It's been a point of contention among fans recently, with many claiming that it costs the Dukes recruits they might otherwise have gotten. Hopefully this will no longer be a problem after this season. The AD has announced that beginning in 2016-17, both men's and women's basketball will offer COA. That will leave only 4 DI schools in Virgina that don't: Radford, Longwood, Norfolk State, and Hampton. (Of those, the latter two are HBCUs and only Hampton is private.)

How about other states and other DI schools? Who does and who doesn't?

Last edited by summertime blues on 06/19/16 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 06/19/16 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is "Cost of Attendance"?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/19/16 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Expenses other than tuition, fees, and (usually) housing. That means incidentals like books, meals, etc. that can reaally add up. One of my friends who was in a so-called "minor sport" (swimming and diving) at a DI school detailed those for me once. She didn't get COA. It cost her family a pretty penny as she was out of state so there were also travel expenses to and from campus.

PostPosted: 06/19/16 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:

Expenses other than tuition, fees, and (usually) housing. That means incidentals like books, meals, etc. that can reaally add up. One of my friends who was in a so-called "minor sport" (swimming and diving) at a DI school detailed those for me once. She didn't get COA. It cost her family a pretty penny as she was out of state so there were also travel expenses to and from campus.

Actually books and meals were always covered. This is things like transportation to/from school, fees, laundry, and personal expenses that formerly were excluded.

In swimming, your friend probably only had a partial scholardhip. Full scholarships are the exception outside the few major sports.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/20/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Longwood is now also to be offering cost of attendance for men's and women's basketball, leaving only Radford, Norfolk State, and Hampton as VA DI schools not offering it.

PostPosted: 06/20/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ODU is only providing FCA payments for some, not all sports. They think they get around Title IX by splitting the pot of money evenly between mens and women's teams. That leaves some mens teams receiving less of a scholarship than the corresponding womens team.

Quite a few mid major conferences and schools are only providing the payments to football and basketball athletes.

I doubt these practices pass muster. I'm waiting for the first lawsuits challenging the pick and choose who gets the extra money approach. The P5 schools assumed when they passed the rule that if you gave the payments to anyone you had to give the payments to everyone. I think they're probably right, at least at any school with a FBS football program (football skews the numbers to an extent that's likely unfixable). Maybe they can get away with it at a non football school by giving the money only to the mens and women's basketball players and no one else. But giving extra money to, say, women's swimmers in order to balance out football, while not giving the money to male swimmers, is dubious.

BTW, I think cell phones are another item that goes into the FCA calculation. But understand though that this is just an unrestricted cash payment that can be spent for anything the student chooses.

This calculation of full cost of attendance is a calculation already required to be done by schools for a variety of government aid programs. It's not an NCAA calculation. The payment is to cover the gap between the value of the scholarship and the particular school's calculated full cost of attendance, and the amounts of the payments vary widely. Interestingly, some very expensive private schools have lower FCA payments because they were already including more services in their normal tuition scholarship so their gap is smaller.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/21/16 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most schools only provide COA for so-called "major" sports, in case you hadn't noticed--the ones they provide *full* scholarships for, as Art pointed out. And it's a *recommendation*, not a rule. I don't think DII schools provide it, although I could be wrong; I don't know anything about them at all.

PostPosted: 06/21/16 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Most schools only provide COA for so-called "major" sports, in case you hadn't noticed--the ones they provide *full* scholarships for, as Art pointed out. And it's a *recommendation*, not a rule. I don't think DII schools provide it, although I could be wrong; I don't know anything about them at all.

Not remotely true. Most if not all P5 schools provide it for all scholarship athletes.

There are "headcount" sports and "equivalency" sports. Headcount sports only allow a certain number of FULL scholarships. They are football, MBB, WBB, and women's tennis, women's volleyball, and women's gymnastics.

All the rest are equivalency sports where you can break up the total into any shares you want up to a total number

For example, baseball allows a total value of scholarships equal to 11.7 full scholarships, divided among a maximum of 27 recipients. My assumption is that at schools covering these other sports, you get the same proportion of the FCA payment as you get of the rest of your scholarship.

USAToday wrote :

"Schools in the Power Five conferences — Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-12 and Southeastern — and some other schools, are covering the cost of attendance for athletes in all of their sports.

FBS schools not in the Power Five are working under a wide range of plans for their athletes. Most, though not all, have increased their spending on meals and snacks. With cost of attendance, some are fully covering a few teams and partially covering the remainder. Some are partially covering all teams. Others reported that they will not begin providing any cost-of-attendance assistance until the 2016-17 school year.

Non-FBS schools implementing cost-of-attendance plans primarily are focusing on men's and women's basketball. However, Liberty, which has an FCS football team, and Wichita State are providing it in all sports. Virginia Commonwealth has started a two-year phase-in to do the same."

An article in the Daily Press said about ODU:

"Only athletes on full scholarship receive full stipends. Most ODU athletes are on partial scholarships, and rather than getting checks, will see a credit on their accounts for tuition or housing.

Money for the full cost of attendance is generally provided proportionally, so if a field hockey player receives half a scholarship, she will receive a credit of $1,488, or half the allowed amount."

As far as I know the FCA rule has not been adopted in Div II. So I'm not sure if it's even allowed at that level.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/21/16 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a fairly informative article from the Daily Hampshire Gazette about UMass:

"Like the rest of the Atlantic 10, UMass will cover the increased cost of attendance of its basketball teams for the 2015-16 seasons. Which other UMass athletes will immediately benefit financially from the NCAA rule change that allows schools to augment the value of a scholarship is still being determined.

The difference between what UMass scholarships covered under the old rules vs. the new ones is approximately $1,600 per full scholarship. The figure differs from school to school. The additional money is designed to help athletes cover living expenses beyond tuition, room and board, and other basics that had previously been covered.

Athletes are eligible to receive additional money in the same percentage as the scholarship they receive. A player on a half scholarship can receive an extra $800. A quarter scholarship would get $400, etc.

New UMass athletic director Ryan Bamford said the approximate cost for the entire UMass athletic department would be about $475,000 per year.

He discussed cost of attendance with Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy shortly after being hired.

“I said, ‘This is important.’ The chancellor will help us with about $260,000 worth. We haven’t fully funded it yet. I have to look into the budget and see how I can free up some more money. It’s about $475,000 to do every student athlete that’s on scholarship or some sort,” Bamford said. “Ideally we’ll get to $475,000 in the next two years. That’s my goal. If we are only at $260,000, we can take care of the basketballs. If we take care of football, I can’t add another men’s sport to that yet. We’d do all of the women’s sports we possibly could.”

If UMass covered football (85 scholarships) in addition to basketball (13 for men, 15 for women), the school would also have to give at least 83 other women athletes (or equivalent scholarships) the increased cost of attendance to remain Title IX compliant. That would cost $313,600 so the athletic department would have to make up the difference of $53,600 from the chancellor’s $260,000.

“We’re trying to get our arms around if we do football, how we match the 85 we do in football,” Bamford said."

This WaPo article from last year addressed the DC area schools:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/22/cost-of-attendance-stipends-show-which-sports-colleges-want-to-spend-on/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/21/16 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dulicate

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 06/21/16 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: