RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Swoopes & other coaches under investigation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:32 pm    ::: Swoopes & other coaches under investigation Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15230907
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/18/16 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lOBa7bxBC6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOBa7bxBC6I

PostPosted: 04/25/16 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anybody remember the same thing happened about 15 years ago in Bowling Green where Shawn Campbell was fired due to the inappropriate conduct on players? They said that Shawn was very profane person which caught the attention by Athletic Department and removed him after trying to have a winning season, 14-12 at Western Kentucky. Seems to be the case all over the country?

R-

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/30/16 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes Loyola Players Detail Allegations of Physical Mistreatment

...There were instances where players on the road needed to do homework, and [Swoopes would] take laptops like, Were here to play basketball thats what were here to do, said a player on the 2015-16 team who requested to remain anonymous. Its just like, arent we student-athletes? Doesnt the student come first?...

http://www.loyolaphoenix.com/2016/05/swoopes-loyola-players-detail-allegations-physical-mistreatment/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/30/16 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"The player shoots weird." If a player does shoot weird, isn't it the coach's job to address it and improve her mechanics? It's hard to know if this is verbal abuse or legitimate criticism without the context. And "Doesn't the student come first?" How many D-1 basketball players actually say that? Maybe the ones in the Ivy schools.

gpark33

PostPosted: 05/30/16 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
"The player shoots weird." If a player does shoot weird, isn't it the coach's job to address it and improve her mechanics? It's hard to know if this is verbal abuse or legitimate criticism without the context. And "Doesn't the student come first?" How many D-1 basketball players actually say that? Maybe the ones in the Ivy schools.

When I was in college, granted many moons ago when the WNBA was in its first 3 years, I tutored D-1 student athletes and all of the female athletes said this. The percentage of them with the opportunity to play professionally is so slim that they should all be saying it.

PostPosted: 05/30/16 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When 10 players on the roster complain, when no one denies that players were told they couldn't study on a road trip, when no one denies that there were late-night meetings ...

It just doesn't seem like Swoopes is cut out for coaching in college.

PostPosted: 06/10/16 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheryl Swoopes says she did nothing wrong at Loyola

I said it before, but when as many players have transferred in two years (I think 13) as have from that team, there doesn't need to be an investigation. The numbers alone reflect a problem. But Swoopes got some support in the comments section of the ESPN article:

Quote:
Dave Smith
Feel bad for Sheryl Swoopes.... Last week it was the women's gymnastic team at Penn State, now Loyola, and who knows how many other schools are having this "issue" because it isn't reported much...... What's wrong with college women today? Such an attitude of priviledge and entitlement... Even the athletic scholarships themselves are an entitlement. There are thousands of male high school players who would love to have that BB scholarship, but they're not given out based on merit and talent, half are reserved for women only (try to explain how that's not gender discrimination and a title IX violation)...... Poor Sheryl. If only she could coach a men's team she would not have to put up with anything like this. But raise a generation of spoiled and entitled little princesses, and this is what you get.

Quote:
Charles Rancourt
Could this by a symtom of our current crop of college students generally who are whining for a safe space. Doubt you will be hearing any such complaints from the UCONN women, and that is why they are dining on the rest of NCAA?

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/11/16 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with college women today? Such an attitude of priviledge and entitlement.

Yep, it's all the women's fault. Rapes on campus, sexual harassment, discrimination ...

I think it makes sense to blame the victims, don't you?

Unless they're men, of course.

PostPosted: 06/11/16 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there this kind of epidemic transferring in other Div 1. womens sports?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/11/16 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Softball seems to have its share, but not as much as basketball. It may have something to do with the high profile of DI WBB.

PostPosted: 06/11/16 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm always interested in the psychology of a person who many people have a problem with. Yet, they're not the one with the problem. They never seem to do anything wrong.

PostPosted: 06/12/16 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Basketball's transfer rate is high but not abnormally so. Though it might be higher were it not the only women's sport to require transfers to sit a year.

Tennis unsurprisingly leads the way considering that something like half the athletes in that sport are international.

From 2012-13 -

Womens Sport 4-year
Tennis 11.3%
Skiing 10.2%
Golf 9.0%
Volleyball 8.7%
Basketball 8.6%
Track (Outdoor) 6.4%
Track (Indoor) 6.3%
Soccer 6.1%
Cross Country 5.8%
Water Polo 5.7%
Bowling 5.4%
Softball 5.2%
Ice Hockey 5.2%
Swimming 4.5%
Field Hockey 4.3%
Lacrosse 3.8%
Rowing 3.3%
Gymnastics 2.3%
Fencing 2.1%

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/12/16 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great info, Matt ... thanks.

Interesting that the other "major" female team sport, volleyball, has almost the same rate of transfers.

PostPosted: 06/12/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very interesting, Matt, and thanks. It's not at all as high as it seems, is it?

PostPosted: 06/12/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good info but for me, incomplete. How are the numbers for the men (and we've shown mens basketball transfers are way, way, higher) and how do these numbers stack up before and after. In other words, has there been an upwards migration of transfers or have they always been this way.

In 2008, it was shown that over 1/3 of all college students transfer at least once during their four years and that isn't counting Community College transfers. So actually, these numbers from 2012-13 are below the average.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 06/12/16 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Good info but for me, incomplete. How are the numbers for the men (and we've shown mens basketball transfers are way, way, higher) and how do these numbers stack up before and after. In other words, has there been an upwards migration of transfers or have they always been this way.

In 2008, it was shown that over 1/3 of all college students transfer at least once during their four years and that isn't counting Community College transfers. So actually, these numbers from 2012-13 are below the average.

You can read the whole NCAA report I quoted from which includes a lot of other stuff besides transfer data: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/CAP_may2014_public-release_FINAL.pdf

MBB transfer rate was 13.3% for that year (behind only men's tennis).

The numbers I posted only included 4-4 transfers who transferred in that season (so a much higher percentage will have transferred if you consider players who transferred at any time during entire collegiate career).

Basically, if your team has one player transfer in/out each year off a 12-player roster, that's about average for WBB.

That report also has the WBB numbers dating back to 2003-04 - they range from a low of 6.8% (in 05-06) to 8.5% in 2012-13 with a small upward trend.

LitePal

PostPosted: 06/12/16 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This NCAA report dated 12/9/15 :

"That said, about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year."

"Generally, close to 90% of all MBB transfers say they leave for athletic reasons."

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: