RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Pam Parsons Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrain34

PostPosted: 04/13/16 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be honest, what I always remember about the Pam Parsons deal was that Magic Johnson's sister was on the team, not much else.

Years ago, I knew the players in an interesting take on the whole lesbian program vs. straight program issue.

A coach "went into the home" of a top recruit near her university and at the end of the night the recruit asked her if she was gay. The coach said yes, the player said in that case she would not be coming and went on to star at another school in the coach's metro area.....

....whereupon she accepted a job on the lesbian coach's staff.

Clearly she learned as she went through colleges some of her earlier beliefs didn't hold water.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/13/16 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtrain34 wrote:
To be honest, what I always remember about the Pam Parsons deal was that Magic Johnson's sister was on the team, not much else.

Years ago, I knew the players in an interesting take on the whole lesbian program vs. straight program issue.

A coach "went into the home" of a top recruit near her university and at the end of the night the recruit asked her if she was gay. The coach said yes, the player said in that case she would not be coming and went on to star at another school in the coach's metro area.....

....whereupon she accepted a job on the lesbian coach's staff.

Clearly she learned as she went through colleges some of her earlier beliefs didn't hold water.

Related to this, June Holdsclaw was quoted in Sports Illustrated (I believe) in the 90's as saying she wanted Chamique in a "straight" program so that's partly why they chose Tennessee. Um. Gottcha.

Cool

Also, Sheryl Swoopes apparently transferred out of Texas not only because she was homesick for West Texas but also because the program was a bit too gay.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/14/16 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Players’ Departures Bring Swoopes’ Demeanor Into Question

...Swoopes has a tendency to “cross the line” when dealing with members of the program in regards to their performances and personal lives, according to a source close to the team who chose to remain anonymous.

“She really pushes them to the point of misery and to the point where they shut down,” said the source. “A lot of them feel very trapped about who they can talk to in the Athletic Department because regardless of who they choose, it usually gets back to Sheryl … And I think when it gets to that point … there is no outlet.”

The source also said Swoopes manages the players’ social lives outside of basketball. ...

http://www.loyolaphoenix.com/2016/04/players-departures-bring-swoopes-demeanor-into-question/

Is Sheryl Swoopes turning into Rene Portland, Jr.?

ridor

PostPosted: 05/06/16 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you guys had yet to include Chris Dailey on the list who demands the players to:

* no jeans on team outings,
* no wearing sweats to class or
* no wearing headphones in public,
* no visible tattoos
* punctuality
* how to dress
* how to carry themselves
* how to speak properly

Most of things that she disciplined her players, this is college. Not high school. Tattoo? None of your business. Tell them how to dress, again, this is not high school. Teach, yes, but to discipline and demand them to dress nicely, speak properly, polish their shoes and cover the tattoos? That is their parents' jobs, not Chris. I understand that Chris Dailey won 11 natties, Geno only 10 but one has to remember that this is college, not high school. Professors & coaches are there to teach, not to discipline people on how to dress or to cover their tattoos.

R-

SDHoops

PostPosted: 05/06/16 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I'm surprised that you guys had yet to include Chris Dailey on the list who demands the players to:

* no visible tattoos
* punctuality
* how to dress
* how to speak properly

Most of things that she disciplined her players, this is college. Not high school. Tattoo? None of your business. Tell them how to dress, again, this is not high school. Teach, yes, but to discipline and demand them to dress nicely, speak properly, polish their shoes and cover the tattoos? That is their parents' jobs, not Chris. I understand that Chris Dailey won 11 natties, Geno only 10 but one has to remember that this is college, not high school. Professors & coaches are there to teach, not to discipline people on how to dress or to cover their tattoos.

R-

Oh please! CD is equal opportunity though. It applies to everyone..and I'm surprised that people have said in the past that Geno had anti-lesbian recruiting campaigns..when in fact he's had lesbian players on his team and some of the ones he's recruited but didn't get were..not only that but some of them are the ones how still support the program so he obviously doesn't treat them any differently. I think it's more just the UConn hate.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/06/16 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

* no visible tattoos
* punctuality
* how to dress
* how to speak properly

R-

Those rules were/are standard at Tennessee, along with:

*hats/headgear allowed in class only one day a week (it used to be never, until the players petitioned for a "bad hair day" Wink and also they've never had an observant Muslim player, in which case that would not apply to her)
*must sit in the first 3 rows of any class

PostPosted: 05/06/16 3:39 pm    ::: Re: The Pam Parsons Story Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
In light of the Summitt scandal and the comparative questions it brings about coach-player relationships, gender, etc. I came across this. I've followed women's basketball for almost 30 years but never heard of Pam Parsons, the Head Womens Coach at first, Old Dominion, and later of The University of South Carolina "Carolina Chicks". The events in his story take place approx. 33 years ago.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960414&slug=2324080

Hilarious and highly ironic that Sylvia Hatchell is quoted in this story as saying that the terrible thing about the story is that coaches would use lesbians as a negative recruiting tool. Ironic since that is EXACTLY what Hatchell was doing!!! She went into a high school recruit's living room and told that player and her parents that the player would be "safe" from lesbians UNLIKE THE OTHER TWO SCHOOLS DOWN THE ROAD (Duke and NC State). The player and her family, who describe themselves as "straight but not narrow" immediately crossed off UNC from her list and then chose Duke. The player did play with out lesbians while at Duke but did not 'catch the disease.'

I've always heard this rumor that the Dookies have put out there about Sylvia but Sylvia has had/have lesbians on her team.

I heard this directly from a player's parents. It's quite clear there have been lesbians on the UNC team. And yet, Sylvia DID use this recruiting tool

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: