RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nike EYBL tournament live stream on today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/23/16 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume players change because coaches promise them more exposure, better contacts, better tournaments, more publicity, more travel, more playing time, being more showcased, and you will have to pay less of the cost yourself because I have better sponsors.

Play for me because I have more money, I know more college coaches, and I have better connections with the recruiting services and tournament sponsors.

I doubt it has as anything to do with learning better basketball.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/23/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I assume players change because coaches promise them more exposure, better contacts, better tournaments, more publicity, more travel, more playing time, being more showcased, and you will have to pay less of the cost yourself because I have better sponsors.

Play for me because I have more money, I know more college coaches, and I have better connections with the recruiting services and tournament sponsors.

Good points, the connection thing is big. Some of these coaches either have votes or have a lot of influence with post season honors like McDonald's, Naismith, and so forth. Only 24 kids make McDonald's but I imagine a ton of kids are told if you join this team you have a better shot at making the game.

Some of these aau coaches want highly rated uncommitted players because they also run aau tournaments and charge hundreds of dollars for each coach that wants to come and very good uncommitted players that don't reveal a specific list will draw a lot of coaches. I saw some interview with two current HS players who both said they will commit after July and while they have short lists of schools they purposely wouldn't reveal it, presumably to have more schools recruit them and come to the events their aau coach runs. What are the odds that both kids want to commit at the exact same time period and neither will divulge any school on their list? Probably a directive from their aau coach even though it wastes the time of college coaches who are out of the mix but don't know.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/24/16 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Good points ...

Some comments:

*Anyone can form a club team, but it's not that easy to run a successful one. It takes a lot more organization that one imagines (renting gyms for practice, communication, travel arrangements, etc.) and it also requires the ability to get players to want to come to practice.

*Recruiting is of course part of the process, but the problem is that the system does not help parents understand what's actually going on. Parents, naturally, think their child is better than she is (if they don't believe in her, who will?), and thus will move to a team with a coach who either thinks she's really good or makes the parents think he thinks she's really good. The simple truth is this: If you are good enough to play D1, they will find you; if you're not good enough, it doesn't matter who you play for.

*Managing egos is not easy, so a parent that decides to form a team will soon discover there's a lot more to this than drawing up some plays.

*There's not nearly enough practice time to do much more than just roll the ball out. Consider: You need to be able to handle all different kinds of presses (full, 3/4 and half court), even- and odd-front zones, man-to-man defenses and also have baseline and sideline out-of-bounds plays AND try to work on fundamentals in maybe three hours a week of practice.

*Teams in the EYBL can only get players from contiguous states -- so California teams can only have Oregon, Nevada and Arizona players added to the roster. And in general, non-EYBL teams are not strong enough to attract outside players.

*There's no money in this, so people do have to pay. There will be a few stars getting help with travel and fees, but most kids have to pay, and parents have to pay to travel. This is one big reason the parents are so involved, and rightfully so: If I'm spending $5,000 (or more) on my daughter's basketball summer, I expect some input.

PostPosted: 04/26/16 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of which. . . .

"@Hoopsking1968: Danielle Patterson leaves NJ Sparks due to team differences. Head coaches of her final 4 schools have all been notified support her position"

Obviously one has a lot more freedom when they are already highly recruited and well into the recruiting process. Her final four schools are reportedly Notre Dame, St. Johns, Tennessee and Virginia.

Edit - followup. Evidently a bigger problem going on.

"@Hoopsking1968: Just received notification that both Sidney Lowery and Tori Harris have also left NJ Sparks, along with Danielle Patterson. "

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/26/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Speaking of which. . . .

"@Hoopsking1968: Danielle Patterson leaves NJ Sparks due to team differences. Head coaches of her final 4 schools have all been notified support her position"

Obviously one has a lot more freedom when they are already highly recruited and well into the recruiting process. Her final four schools are reportedly Notre Dame, St. Johns, Tennessee and Virginia.

Edit - followup. Evidently a bigger problem going on.

"@Hoopsking1968: Just received notification that both Sidney Lowery and Tori Harris have also left NJ Sparks, along with Danielle Patterson. "

Free agency and a free market at its best ...

PostPosted: 04/30/16 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loretta Kakala (2017) verbals to Walz and Louisville.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: