RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's Going On At Kentucky?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StraightFrom40216

PostPosted: 04/26/16 2:30 pm    ::: What's Going On At Kentucky? Reply Reply with quote

In the last 24 hours the UK women's team has lost a starting front-court player (Batouly Camara is transferring), an assistant coach (Tamika Williams-Jeter resigned) and two big-time recruits (Lindsey Corsaro, a 2016 McD AA and Madison Treece, a 2017 top-30 commit).

Wow!

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/26/16 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even Marvin Gaye don't know.....

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/26/16 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of the coaches was let go, I'm not sure if that really had anything to do with it or not. One thing is for sure, if there isn't an investigation by the school, the coaches need to sit down and look for any problems and address them. They might even need to sit down talk to the players, and hear their opinions. I've met Mitchell he seems like a good guy. I don't take him to be a coach who is overly harsh. I do wonder if a lot of transfers at not just UK have to do with the entitlement of this generation. Too many people think they can reap benefits without putting in the work and have a me first attitude. Before anyone jumps on me, I'm the same age as these players and I see it everyday. I kind of wonder too if has to do with jealousy of Epps, she is kind of regarded as more of a celebrity than most women's basketball players because of her success and her dad winning a championship here. When you are a basketball player here you are a celebrity even as a walk on.

Here's a summary of the transfers and decomittments
Chrishae Rowe- Dismissed for violating team rules (I wasn't really surprised.)
Morgan Rich- Never met standards to practice, didn't get to participate in big blue madness (I was surprised only because she was a Kentucky native)
Linnae Harper- Reportedly wasn't happy (Big surprise)
Kyvinn Goodin-Rogers- Left reportedly due to playing time (wasn't a surprise)
Ivana Jacubkova- Never really cracked the rotation (wasn't a surprise)
Batouly Camara- This one really surprised me

Lindsay Corsaro- I understand where she is coming from, the transfers do really seem fishy.
Madison Treece- She's still young only a HS junior, I understand her decomittment too.

PostPosted: 04/26/16 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem sounds like Matthew Mitchell. Too authoritarian to work for and play for?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/27/16 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Third assistant leaving .

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/jen-smith-on-basketball/article74156002.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/27/16 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But Kyra is back, so now what? It's a revolving door there. Perhaps they will hire some former players, or pick from more of Pat's coaching tree; they are both branches of it.

PostPosted: 04/27/16 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This seems to be one of those cases where there is a fire underneath all the smoke ...

But I'm a long way away, and maybe it's all just coincidence.

PostPosted: 04/27/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not like this is new. Players and assistants leaving has been an annual event in Lexington for a while. Although this year seems to be taking it to a new extreme.

One would think that there's probably a limit to how long that can continue before recruits and potential assistants start staying away.

greatgator

PostPosted: 04/28/16 4:22 am    ::: UKs Mitchell takes responsibility for team upheaval Reply Reply with quote

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article74163507.html

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/28/16 9:06 am    ::: Re: UKs Mitchell takes responsibility for team upheaval Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article74163507.html

From that article: Every coach has challenges, but I think its a unique challenge when you have young children, he said. People who have had young children understand its a hamster wheel youre in just running all the time. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

At first I thought Mitchell was talking about his players. Rolling Eyes
He and his wife have three daughters. His salary is $1.1 million+. Hire a nanny or two or three.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/16 9:42 am    ::: Re: UKs Mitchell takes responsibility for team upheaval Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
greatgator wrote:

From that article: Every coach has challenges, but I think its a unique challenge when you have young children, he said. People who have had young children understand its a hamster wheel youre in just running all the time. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

At first I thought Mitchell was talking about his players. Rolling Eyes
He and his wife have three daughters. His salary is $1.1 million+. Hire a nanny or two or three.

Having a nanny or nannies is not the same as having a parent at home. I grew up with parents at home, but I had friends whose parents were never home. I could see the difference. Also, my first husband's father was almost never home, and when he was, he set a poor example because he was a "hamster wheel" type. I should have known better. (No nannies there, though; his poor, exhausted mom ran the show.)

PostPosted: 05/04/16 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another one...

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article75683062.html

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/04/16 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time for Kentucky to hire Michelle Clark Heard away from WKU?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/04/16 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Time for Kentucky to hire Michelle Clark Heard away from WKU?

Or advertise for some walk-ons? I think they're down to eight players, 4 of whom are new to the team.

UK1996

PostPosted: 05/05/16 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of ironic, right before Camara announced her transfer, I was cisiting a friend and saw these 3 outside her apartment complex. Maybe the transfers have to do with problems between the players.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are down to 7 considering Thompson graduates. We also only have two posts, Akhator and Rice.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
It's kind of ironic, right before Camara announced her transfer, I was cisiting a friend and saw these 3 outside her apartment complex. Maybe the transfers have to do with problems between the players.

Who do you mean by "these 3"?

Howee

PostPosted: 05/05/16 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Morgan Rich- Never met standards to practice, didn't get to participate in big blue madness (I was surprised only because she was a Kentucky native)

UK, can you explain that one in more detail, please? I'm curious because she just finished her redshirt year at (my beloved) OK, and I haven't heard any back story on how that came to be. Was she considered an exceptional talent?

Thanks!

h

PostPosted: 05/05/16 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
UK1996 wrote:

UK, can you explain that one in more detail, please? I'm curious because she just finished her redshirt year at (my beloved) OK, and I haven't heard any back story on how that came to be. Was she considered an exceptional talent?

Thanks!

h

That statement(never met standards to practice) was all that was said about her. She's had knee issues in high school so I assumed it was physical but it could have been academic or an attitude issue too. I don't think she was an exceptional talent. She chose UK over Vandy & had offers from Western Kentucky, Alabama, Middle Tennessee & Dayon. I'd heard she was heading to WKU(after UK) but the scholarship situation didn't work out.

StraightFrom40216

PostPosted: 05/05/16 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On two different message boards I've seen reports of "rumors" that the players have been forced to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to gain a release. That sounds unlikely to me, but stranger things have happened.

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/05/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StraightFrom40216 wrote:
On two different message boards I've seen reports of "rumors" that the players have been forced to sign non-disclosure agreements in order to gain a release. That sounds unlikely to me, but stranger things have happened.

That is completely false. From the newspaper writer that covers UK WBB:

Ive been asked multiple times, so I checked with UK. The departing players have NOT been asked to sign non-disclosure agreements.

@jenheraldleader

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 05/05/16 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
StraightFrom40216 wrote:

That is completely false. From the newspaper writer that covers UK WBB:

Ive been asked multiple times, so I checked with UK. The departing players have NOT been asked to sign non-disclosure agreements.

@jenheraldleader

But if they had, how could they disclose it ? (lol)

UK1996

PostPosted: 05/05/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I understand it was academic standards that she never met, probably nothing more than adjusting to a tougher course load.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jacubkova, Camara, and Jennings, it was probably nothing more than a coincidence in reality.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Niya Butts is returning to UK as an assistant.
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/jen-smith-on-basketball/article75752772.html

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: