RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Charlie Creme's way-too-early preseason top 25.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/23/16 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Phil wrote:
My problem is that my immediate reaction to several is "too low"
With the exception of UConn, none struck me immediately as "too high".

I, myself, am not so sure about Louisville at #2, and I'm also not convinced about Oklahoma at #14, or NC State being ranked at all. I think those 3 teams may be too high. But what do I know?

L'ville, I don't believe, can sustain a ranking like that. Oklahoma will surprise me if they don't end up 14 or higher before mid-season. They lost one good player at the 5. Period. They have 2 decent Juniors to take over, plus a 6'9" freshman. All guards are back. I think they'll be doing some rippin'. Cool

We'll see! Best of luck to the Sooners!

AAOK423

PostPosted: 04/23/16 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee, just out of curiosity, how effective do you think Mulkey will be next season. Ive only seen her play a couple times and both times she's been a bit awkward. At 6'9" I'm sure she can do a lot, I just don't see a whole lot of athleticism from her. She reminds me a bit of a taller Nicole Griffin who took a while to become good but never really had great control over her body. I think Pierre-Louis may be more relied upon than Mulkey, at least next year. Anyway, interested to hear what you think.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/23/16 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blackrain wrote:
The polls are a joke. Baylor played a very weak out of conference schedule and kept their excellent ranking until they started their conference games. I don't think teams should be rewarded for weak schedules in the polls either, but for some reason, some teams are. I think Uconn is a top team ten, but not top five. Not in the upcoming year. It's just a matter of opinion where they should be ranked. I don't see the product on their upcoming team to warrant a top five ranking. I think they will struggle this year.

South Carolina is the only team I can rank without question. In my opinion they should be preseason number one. Their probable five starters for the upcoming year makes me cringe.

I was NEVER sold on Baylor this year and I wasn't surprised when they didn't make it to the FF. I don't see UConn struggling next year because most of their toughest non conference games are at home and they play in the AAC.

South Carolina has to integrated transfers Kayla Davis and Allisha Gray into their starting lineup and their PG play is still suspect maybe even worse than last year. I'm interested to see how Dawn Staley will handle a volume shooter, bad shot taker like Kayla Davis.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/23/16 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Howee, just out of curiosity, how effective do you think Mulkey will be next season. Ive only seen her play a couple times and both times she's been a bit awkward. At 6'9" I'm sure she can do a lot, I just don't see a whole lot of athleticism from her. She reminds me a bit of a taller Nicole Griffin who took a while to become good but never really had great control over her body. I think Pierre-Louis may be more relied upon than Mulkey, at least next year. Anyway, interested to hear what you think.

I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment. I've seen very little actual footage of Mulkey, but she's fairly high in the rankings, so I'm *hoping* there's more to that than just 6'9".

Yes, ViVi and McKenna will probably shoulder most of the 5 role, but.... having Mulkey come off the bench will be great. I'm hoping she's an awesome shot-blocker.

My question for you (since you've seen them in action personally) is what talent is there in post player Odimgbe?

PostPosted: 04/24/16 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:

I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment. I've seen very little actual footage of Mulkey, but she's fairly high in the rankings, so I'm *hoping* there's more to that than just 6'9".

Yes, ViVi and McKenna will probably shoulder most of the 5 role, but.... having Mulkey come off the bench will be great. I'm hoping she's an awesome shot-blocker.

My question for you (since you've seen them in action personally) is what talent is there in post player Odimgbe?

Oh yeah, I always forget about McKenna until I see her play and then I remember how much I like her. Always great to have a post player who stretch the defense by being a three point threat. And I agree, it seems like Mulkey is going to be a good shot-blocker coming off the bench and then hopefully develop into more.

Honestly, I see Odimgbe possibly transfering out (though I thought that about Kellogg too, so who knows). Just by seeing her in warmups and in the very limited minutes she got, I think she could be very effective in a weaker conference, maybe at a mid major school. She has decent moves around the basket and has a little range on her shot but she does seems a bit too slow and lacks a bit of aggressiveness that all OU's post players that got decent minutes tended to have. But again, that's just based off of the very little ive got to see of her...If she has a break out season next year ill be happy to eat my words.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/24/16 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm of the school that believes that for the most part, bigger/taller girls take awhile to develop. Most of them get into college having fairly recently attained their size and not quite knowing how to use it because they aren't comfortable with it yet. With good coaching they can learn to use it effectively, but it takes a coach who knows how to teach them. I'd be a little skeptical of Mulkey for a couple of years; she has the stuff but she doesn't look at all comfortable in her body. Hopefully Sherri and staff can bring her along.

PostPosted: 04/25/16 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gonzaga will be in the mix.....count on it...expect Elle tinkle back, Jill Barta, Laura Stockton....Zags played with 4 seniors and 4 freshmen last season, with a couple in between...there were several games in which the freshmen outscored the seniors even without having as many minutes...Jill Barta is a stud, in a nice way...(zags were without a starter, plus an important 6'5 soph and on and off again with a junior and another senior)

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/25/16 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey's biggest weakness has been strength (OK, that sounds odd ...) but every year she gets a little more bulk and a little more muscle. Early on, anyone could move her off the block; now, it takes more size.

She's pretty coordinated for 6-9 and is a good shotblocker so at worst she's a defensive positive -- and as she gets stronger and more skilled, the offense could come.

And I've noticed the same thing: It takes longer for taller/bigger players to develop, and given Mulkey's size and existing skills, her floor is a defensive-minded starter and her ceiling is a force at both ends.

PostPosted: 04/25/16 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
Gonzaga will be in the mix.....count on it...expect Elle tinkle back, Jill Barta, Laura Stockton....Zags played with 4 seniors and 4 freshmen last season, with a couple in between...there were several games in which the freshmen outscored the seniors even without having as many minutes...Jill Barta is a stud, in a nice way...(zags were without a starter, plus an important 6'5 soph and on and off again with a junior and another senior)

Wolfram back and healthy in the post and playing like she did against Oregon State a year ago would be a blessing. But even without her, if Tinkle is back, the combination of her in Barta and Kudron (Who I believe has another year left) would be formidible...especially with Barta and Tinkle' sability to hit from outside.

I think Nebraska transfer Chandler Smith will play a very big role on this team next year.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/16 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

Does anyone know what is going on with USC? I read that they had two players suspended for academic reasons, which seemed to derail their season. Did that get sorted out and will Jordan Adams return next year, or is she finished?

Not exactly sure where to post this, but it seems fitting here. The whole Jordan Adams situation seem odd to me as she was named Pac-12 All-Academic Honorable Mention in 2014-2015, and I saw on twitter today she was one of three women's basketball players Mark Scholar Athlete. So I'm still very confused about the whole situation and exactly what part of her academic record made her academically ineligible. But none the less congrats to her and her teammates on this honor.

https://twitter.com/USCWBB/status/730842552069283842

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: