RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Iowa State star Nikki Moody sues Cyclones coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/16 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
While she may continue a tradition of Cyclones in the draft

Moody's quick washout fit in the tradition of Cyclones in the draft perfectly.

PostPosted: 04/19/16 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:

I guess the only way they "prove it" is for other players to sign on.

So far Chassidy Cole and Brynn Williamson (as well as a couple dozen other former players) have come to Fennelly's defense, so that's not looking likely.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/19/16 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
JACKOWACKO wrote:

I guess the only way they "prove it" is for other players to sign on.

So far Chassidy Cole and Brynn Williamson (as well as a couple dozen other former players) have come to Fennelly's defense, so that's not looking likely.

IIt would be interesting to get the thoughts of Nakiah Bell who transferred out when Moody graduated and also Emiah Bingley who was allegedly run off by a Moody-led faction.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2016/04/29/iowa-state-coach-bill-fennelly-discuss-nikki-moody-lawsuit-today/83701950/

Quote:
Iowa State women's basketball coach Bill Fennelly will break his silence about former Iowa State star Nikki Moody's allegations against him later today.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women’s Basketball: Fennelly would change “nothing” in his relationship with Moody

... Most of Fennelly’s comments revolved around his belief that he holds no regrets and that he will fight the allegations, adding “I’m not the person I’m accused of being.” “When your personal character is attacked it’s devastating and I feel bad for the people around me who have to kind of suffer through this with me,” Fennelly said. “They didn’t sign up for that.”...Fennelly said he would not change or reevaluate his coaching style and the way he communicates with his players as a result of the lawsuit. ...

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-fennelly-would-change-nothing-his-relationship-moody#sthash.8z8tNpNu.dpuf

During the presser, Bill Fennelly cried. He mentioned his wife and his grandson. After all, Iowa State is a "family" program. Rolling Eyes

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/30/16 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Women’s Basketball: Fennelly would change “nothing” in his relationship with Moody

... Most of Fennelly’s comments revolved around his belief that he holds no regrets and that he will fight the allegations, adding “I’m not the person I’m accused of being.” “When your personal character is attacked it’s devastating and I feel bad for the people around me who have to kind of suffer through this with me,” Fennelly said. “They didn’t sign up for that.”...Fennelly said he would not change or reevaluate his coaching style and the way he communicates with his players as a result of the lawsuit. ...

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-fennelly-would-change-nothing-his-relationship-moody#sthash.8z8tNpNu.dpuf

During the presser, Bill Fennelly cried. He mentioned his wife and his grandson. After all, Iowa State is a "family" program. Rolling Eyes

See you in court in other words.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/30/16 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Moody was constantly fouling during practice games, and Fennelly kept calling her for it, and finally said "Quit playing like a thug or you're going to foul out in every game" then "You're playing like a thug again," does Moody have a case now? Do coaches need to add a censor to their staffs? Just throwing out a hypothetical here.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 04/30/16 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Calling her thug is a code word for something else!!!

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/01/16 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
True.
http://reverbpress.com/features/thug-evolution-racist-code-word/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/01/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
True.

Quote:
If enough people begin using a word in a certain way, then the meaning of the word is altered.

Who defines "enough?"

It hasn't been until this that I've ever heard that the word thug was racist. I'm guessing that I'm not alone in that.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/01/16 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
True.

Quote:
If enough people begin using a word in a certain way, then the meaning of the word is altered.

Who defines "enough?"

It hasn't been until this that I've ever heard that the word thug was racist. I'm guessing that I'm not alone in that.

Apparently you don't get around much, or live in a pretty white area. And I'm not meaning to be nasty here. That's been a "code word" for several years.

PostPosted: 05/01/16 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about "Street balla"?

Or Streetballer?

Need to know these things.

Last edited by NoDakSt on 05/01/16 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
allenleavell

PostPosted: 05/01/16 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Shat about "Street balla"?

Or Streetballer?

Need to know these things.

Street baller
Nikki moody is the most team first guard from her time in DFW .Some people said she was too unselfish.
Street balla just a term but did he call the white kid that heat check a street baller. If he called a white kids that then he wasn't being racist but if he only used it for black kid. u known what this is

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
True.

Quote:

Who defines "enough?"

Apparently you don't get around much, or live in a pretty white area. And I'm not meaning to be nasty here. That's been a "code word" for several years.

I wouldn't say that either are true. I don't live in an urban area, but I do travel to them often.

I googled the def of thug. It was the FIFTH one, the Urban Dictionary (after Merriam-Webster, The Free Dictionary, Wikipedia, and Dictionary.com) that could even be considered to be anything OTHER than "a violent person, especially a criminal." Which, BTW, is a stronger, more negative definition than how I would have defined it.

I would have said defined a thug as someone that is more than a bully, someone that gets into fights, maybe does some shoplifting. Possibly a group of 3-4.

I'm wondering if it isn't as widely defined as racist as you think.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
True.

Quote:

Who defines "enough?"

I wouldn't say that either are true. I don't live in an urban area, but I do travel to them often.

I googled the def of thug. It was the FIFTH one, the Urban Dictionary (after Merriam-Webster, The Free Dictionary, Wikipedia, and Dictionary.com) that could even be considered to be anything OTHER than "a violent person, especially a criminal." Which, BTW, is a stronger, more negative definition than how I would have defined it.

I would have said defined a thug as someone that is more than a bully, someone that gets into fights, maybe does some shoplifting. Kind of a more-violent-criminal wanna-be. Possibly a group of 3-4.

I'm wondering if it isn't as widely defined as racist as you think.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/01/16 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So coaches need both a translator and a censor?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/01/16 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Right? If players use the N word or thug or street balla in practice (even with respect to their own race ) do coaches need to censor this as well?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/02/16 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Right? If players use the N word or thug or street balla in practice (even with respect to their own race ) do coaches need to censor this as well?

Coaches are the grownups. They should set a good example for the players.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/02/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is that while the N word is clearly both racist and derogatory, the meaning of thug is much less clear...it meant ruffian or bully long before it attained the connotations in Google's fifth definition. And street baller meant a flashy, maybe selfish player, rather than a team player. Looking at the urban dictionary, who can tell what it means and whether it's an insult or a compliment. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Balla

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/02/16 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Street baller is not a term of opprobrium AFAIK. Thug, however, has become used in a very racially charged manner, especially in the last couple of years.

PostPosted: 05/05/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Street baller is not a term of opprobrium AFAIK. Thug, however, has become used in a very racially charged manner, especially in the last couple of years.

I think these guys would likely disagree with your narrow stereotyping

http://www.mossyoak.com/the-brands/productions/turkey-thugs

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/15/16 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ISU files response to Moody lawsuit.

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-isu-files-response-moody-lawsuit

Quote:

“No act of discrimination toward (Moody) by Defendants, as alleged, has ever occurred,” the filing reads.

The state also writes in its filing that Moody’s claims “were filed or made beyond the applicable statute(s) of limitations, or other time limitations,” “failed to exhaust administrative remedies,” “go beyond the scope of her administrative complaints” and that if Moody “suffered or sustained any damages, injuries, or detriment as a proximate result of the conduct of the Defendants, as alleged in (Moody’s) Petition, such injury was proximately caused or contributed to by the negligence or bad faith of (Moody), which bars or reduces (Moody’s) right to recover any damages against Defendants.”

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/15/16 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ISU files response to Moody lawsuit.

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-isu-files-response-moody-lawsuit

Quote:

“No act of discrimination toward (Moody) by Defendants, as alleged, has ever occurred,” the filing reads.

The state also writes in its filing that Moody’s claims “were filed or made beyond the applicable statute(s) of limitations, or other time limitations,” “failed to exhaust administrative remedies,” “go beyond the scope of her administrative complaints” and that if Moody “suffered or sustained any damages, injuries, or detriment as a proximate result of the conduct of the Defendants, as alleged in (Moody’s) Petition, such injury was proximately caused or contributed to by the negligence or bad faith of (Moody), which bars or reduces (Moody’s) right to recover any damages against Defendants.”

Somehow reminds me of my grandson's response to any confrontation of wrongdoing when he was a toddler: "No I not!"

PostPosted: 05/15/16 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moody’s lawsuit alleges that Fennelly repeatedly called her a “thug” and that an unnamed assistant coach said, “This is the first and last time we will have this many black people on the team” during the 2014-15 season, among other things.

http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-basketball-isu-files-response-moody-lawsuit#sthash.XTq1J0mP.dpuf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: