RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sabrina Ionescu is MaxPreps Player of the Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/12/16 1:19 pm    ::: Sabrina Ionescu is MaxPreps Player of the Year Reply Reply with quote

This article was written by some guy named Clay Kallam. Is he legit? Smile

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/ySmY63Df-U69l148bQorQw/maxpreps-2015-16-national-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year--sabrina-ionescu.htm

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/12/16 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well this year he isn't out there all by himself. Last week Ionescu was also named the 2015-16 American Family Insurance/USA Today POY.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was pretty nervous, really, since I've been acquainted with Sabrina since she was in fifth grade and live about 10 miles from Miramonte. But I was convinced by others that my perceived bias shouldn't count against her -- and when USA Today came out with her as the POY, I breathed a deep sigh of relief.

As Bob Corwin points out, this is one of those years when it's good that several girls won national awards: It's Sabrina, Crystal Dangerfield and Jackie Young at this point, and one could make a case for Kaila Charles and Ciera Johnson.

PostPosted: 04/12/16 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I was pretty nervous, really, since I've been acquainted with Sabrina since she was in fifth grade and live about 10 miles from Miramonte. But I was convinced by others that my perceived bias shouldn't count against her -- and when USA Today came out with her as the POY, I breathed a deep sigh of relief.

As Bob Corwin points out, this is one of those years when it's good that several girls won national awards: It's Sabrina, Crystal Dangerfield and Jackie Young at this point, and one could make a case for Kaila Charles and Ciera Johnson.

For some reason you don't seem to be a big Boley fan, but she won the Gatorade POY. And Cox won the WBCA POY award.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/16 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Forgot about Boley and Cox ... both well deserving too.

I actually really like Boley. I'm less enamored of Cox, and not because of talent. Her effort has been inconsistent when I've seen her, but when she's on, she's pretty spectacular.

PostPosted: 04/13/16 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not impressed with Ionescu on the 2014 U17 team, where she was outshone by Samuelson, Durr, Ogunbowale, Anigwe and Boykin -- all a year older -- as well as Holmes and Cox, but I'm sure she deserved the POY award based on her high school play since then.

In this video, her play sort of reminds me of the pre-injury Shea Ralph, and some of her passes show hints of magic:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fb8se1dOavk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ridor

PostPosted: 05/06/16 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Sabrina Ionescu announce her decision or what?

R-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: